Old February 14th, 2016, 12:05 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpak110 View Post
For all you guys who are experts in the Santana model, do the doors from 110's and other components fit directly as replacements? For example, if you were replacing the doors, seats etc, on this 109 would it be the same as replacing a door from an English made 110? Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus View Post
I am wondering if people could weigh in on how available parts are for these trucks? If I were to get one, I presume I would wrench on it myself and figure it out but are manuals, etc. available in English?
Bill, I'd be curious to have you weigh in on the above questions that were posed as well since you've got a good baseline on these vehicles...per my pm last week I'm reviewing a vehicle for a customer now at the moment (Santana) so working through the nuances of Defender vs Santana. I spent several hours yesterday climbing in/out/under a 1988 Santana, and it appears that probably 90-95% of the exterior/interior trim are compatible from what I can see.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2016, 12:00 PM
ValenciaCV
William
1978 LR Santana 88

Good Morning,

I'm going to put in a response I typed up for the 1983:

"Hi all. Very sorry for the belated reply. The sale did actually fall through so I came here to update and saw the chatter. I'm not going to have the most satisfying answer, but will try to talk from our experience. Engine components are obviously identical (consumables, etc.) except the turbos which are a Santana addition. If one were looking to replace a turbo you'd have a rebuild or replace option, and I can't speak one way or the other on replacement availability. I will happily do some research this evening. Drivetrain wise I've had to replace a prop shaft and haven't had issues (Rovers North helped ID the differential and we were golden). Interior bits... seats especially, are easy bolt in replacements from Paddock, etc. We've found that Santana specific bits like dash switches and the "Especial" trim level taillights are only available used. We have found a couple parts yards and individuals who have fields of Rovers ripe for plucking. We have before, and will again be happy to help our customers or others find these weird bits. I'd hate to scare someone away from a solid truck because a replacement tail light is hard to find. Thanks for listening. Bill "

I have not tried taking a door from a 109 and putting it on a 110. That said, the body parts on these are part-for-part replacements of Solihul-built 109's. If a UK-built 109 door will go on a 110, then these will too.

We have shied way from two Santana's:

1) The 6-Cylinder trucks, which Santana built by taking the 2.25L block and adding two cylinders. Yes, they have more HP (close to 100), and yes parts like glow plugs and wires are the exact same as any other 2.25L four-cylinder. I don't know where you'd get a head-gasket, unless you made one yourself. If someone wants to be our guinea pig and wants a 6-Cyl truck, give me a shout. Otherwise my parts answer would be identical to the body of text above.

2) The really late Santana 109s. When stock, these have fender arches, a 110-styled front end, and steering wheels / dash clusters that look like a Defender. I simply don't know enough about them to confidently say "Yes you can find parts, etc." Again, if someone wants to try one of these out, drop me a line; we'd be happy to connect you with a truck. Lord knows it would be a great learning opportunity for us.

---- break break ----

This truck has sold. It is heading to Columbia, SC. If anyone is interested, I think the new owner might be hanging onto it for just a short time. I can connect you with the new owner.

Thanks all.
Bill

Classic cars and trucks from Spain to the U.S.
On Facebook:
Old February 21st, 2016, 05:45 PM
Theojr
Ted esders
None

Hey, wondering if this Land Rover is still for sale?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2016, 06:01 PM
ValenciaCV
William
1978 LR Santana 88

I'm sorry no, this truck is sold. Thank you for your interest though!

Classic cars and trucks from Spain to the U.S.
On Facebook:
Old February 29th, 2016, 09:05 AM
southern79
Robert
1987 Santana 109

If you are interested in this truck, it will be for sale shortly. Please contact me for details.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
109, land rover