Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old December 5th, 2013, 10:40 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11 View Post
Bummer. That 90 is probably rarer than NAS. Sad to see it hacked up…..errrr I mean modified if thats what you'd call putting on Disco wheels and rattle canning the fender flares. That truck in factory condition (and a replacement rear cross member has no bearing) will continue to appreciate. Every dollar you spend "modifying" this 90 will be two dollars off the return (dollar) value. That said, sweet ride.
I think Paul is better off buying new black flares and keeping the white ones in storage. Wheels are easy to swap back and forth. It really is a lovely truck. It is not perfect, and it is 30 years old nearly, but it is very original and very nice.
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I think Paul is better off buying new black flares and keeping the white ones in storage. Wheels are easy to swap back and forth. It really is a lovely truck. It is not perfect, and it is 30 years old nearly, but it is very original and very nice.
Ron:

I ordered a pair of black fender flares & will swap them for the white ones.

Truck should be Saturday.

Thanks for the help!

Paul.
Old December 6th, 2013, 05:08 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
Ron:

I ordered a pair of black fender flares & will swap them for the white ones.

Truck should be Saturday.

Thanks for the help!

Paul.
Just don't Phuck it up or Ill be pissed ! LOL. Just kidding and hope I didn't sound like the dick I can be. Every now and then I get all ugly about the "lovely" ones getting "modded". Probably due to spending an inordinate amount of time trying to correct many of such in my daily struggle.
My comment was referencing the bulk of the discussion which was largely about the value of the thing. Better to be in the hands of an obvious enthusiast than rusting in a Nantucket driveway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Shan
Shan
Defender 90 3.5 V8

Just to confirm that the truck has been sold to Paul K. Thanks for completing the smooth deal, i hope it brings many years of joy in your posession.

As is usually the case, as soon as i sold it i start getting interests from forum and online interested buyers.

Wish you all the best Paul. Put up some pics of it once it arrives, ill like to keep updated with its developments.
Old December 7th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
All:

Delivery scheduled for tomorrow morning. I will post pics.

I plan to make some modifications/updates, but essentially it will just be brought up to date.

I plan to put a set of Freestyle rims on, and replace the fender flares with a matte black set (bit too much white going on for my taste).

Eventually it will get a galvanized chassis & have air conditioning fitted. I will likely also replace the interior with new seats & carpet, plus soundproofing. I suspect I'll go to a single carb and replace the camshaft, since the originals are known to wear. I'll keep you guys updated as I progress.

Thanks,

Paul.
Old December 8th, 2013, 03:48 PM
happyhorse
Jane
none

I saw this car parked in Devon a few weeks ago and haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

Finally talked to my husband today and we decided we were going call and set up a time to take a real look at it. But first I decided to cruise by this forum first to see if there were any new developments only to see its now sold.

Congrats to buyer and seller!
Old December 8th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
All:

She just arrived safely in Eastern Oregon, where it is currently just 1 degree fahrenheit!

First impression- what a time capsule. She looks great!

Thanks,

Paul.
Old December 8th, 2013, 09:45 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
All: She just arrived safely in Eastern Oregon, where it is currently just 1 degree fahrenheit! First impression- what a time capsule. She looks great! Thanks, Paul.
Glad you like her Paul!

Don't update her too much.
Old December 9th, 2013, 12:07 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Glad you like her Paul!

Don't update her too much.
Ron:

What is too much? Everything I plan will make her 1) live longer and 2) easier to live with, plus some 'updates'. Sadly, many of the V8 Sw's ended up being either converted to LPG, made into mud bogging monsters or have simply rotted away. This one is going to live forever!

Thanks again for the help.

Paul.
Old December 9th, 2013, 02:19 AM
evilfij
evilfij

She is yours to do with what you want. . I would keep it as original as possible though or at least keep the stuff to put it back. For example, I think it would be a shame to see a modern grey interior although some genuine rubber front floor mats (not foam backed) in place of the replacement non-original front carpets would be nice and would prevent future rust. The rest of the interior was in nice shape. I would save my money on freestyles and fit 235 85 r16 to the rostyles, but that is not hard to change back. I certainly would not sell them on as rostyles are hens teeth to find. Look at Bill A.'s 109 to see how rostyles look with those tires. Discs in back would be nice (swap over the four pin diff if it has one -- it should). Having driven it, I don't think it needs a cam or, for that matter, anything done to the engine. Just keep good oil in it (rotella 5w40 is what I use these days). I would pull the t-case input gear to make sure it is cross drilled and service it to get a base line but that is it. As they say, they are only original once.
Old April 27th, 2014, 07:58 AM
nickyfusco
Nicholas Fusco
1988 Defender 90 County

I am importing a very similar D90 into NYC, and i'm getting quoted $1,500 in shipping plus i will need to pay import costs around duty and some documentation (they won't tell me the cost there...?).

Who would you all recommend here, and what would be a fair price?

How does the process go? is anyone willing to write a short few bullet points for me?

(I am not looking to sell, but just need advice)
Old April 27th, 2014, 08:19 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyfusco View Post
I am importing a very similar D90 into NYC, and i'm getting quoted $1,500 in shipping plus i will need to pay import costs around duty and some documentation (they won't tell me the cost there...?). Who would you all recommend here, and what would be a fair price? How does the process go? is anyone willing to write a short few bullet points for me? (I am not looking to sell, but just need advice)
Import through Doug - Uncle Doug here - and you won't be so lost.
Old April 27th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Import through Doug - Uncle Doug here - and you won't be so lost.
X 10,000 he did mine, it was super easy and smooth as butter.
Old April 27th, 2014, 10:56 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
This day and age I wouldn't do it myself, use a professional, use Doug. His service is unsurpassed. I have had him handle the import for 25+ trucks in the past year.
Old April 28th, 2014, 12:13 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
FWIW, this truck was imported by the British military (for Shan, not as a military vehicle).

+1 for using Doug. That was my plan until I found this truck.
Old April 28th, 2014, 01:10 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
FWIW, this truck was imported by the British military (for Shan, not as a military vehicle). +1 for using Doug. That was my plan until I found this truck.
Interesting. He did not want to talk about what he did for a living and now I know why.
Old May 11th, 2014, 12:16 AM
Bonfirebeachkids
John Moore
1986 D 90

Registry
D 90 in California

I am more or less in the same boat. I purchased my dream D90 from Land Rovers UK three months ago (January 2014)... it's a 1986 Diesel engine right hand drive without all the bells and whistles. Just clean and super fun to drive. Only problem is that I just found out that I won't be able to register her as-is in California. I've spent about 12 collective hours at the DMV and CHP only to get the dreaded letter from Sacramento stating the new law...

Any suggestions? I hear you would be able to register her in all other 49 states? Do I move or sell her?
Old May 11th, 2014, 07:38 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonfirebeachkids View Post
I am more or less in the same boat. I purchased my dream D90 from Land Rovers UK three months ago (January 2014)... it's a 1986 Diesel engine right hand drive without all the bells and whistles. Just clean and super fun to drive. Only problem is that I just found out that I won't be able to register her as-is in California. I've spent about 12 collective hours at the DMV and CHP only to get the dreaded letter from Sacramento stating the new law...

Any suggestions? I hear you would be able to register her in all other 49 states? Do I move or sell her?
Move.

Old May 20th, 2014, 07:45 PM
svxaddict
Defend Nature
coming soon

drive to AZ, register, drive back to CA. not hard

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
90, defender, v8