1984 Land Rover 90 w/ 4.2litre turbo diesel - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old September 27th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Buyrovers
Chuck Leimone
1984 Land Rover 110 Soft Top

1984 Land Rover 90 w/ 4.2litre turbo diesel

This truck is a very clean 1984 that has had a substantial amount of money spent to bring it back to life. The truck was rebuilt on the original chassis which is solid and has been consistently treated with Waxoyl (rust preventative) to keep it in top shape. There is some surface rust as you can see in the pics but nothing out of the ordinary and is free of any structural issues.

The body panels were donated from a newer truck and are in exceptional condition with no notable dents or dings and coated with a nice coat of blue paint. The prior owner was a big fan of 5 bar (the UK's diamond plate). There are a few isolated spots of surface corrosion on some of the cappings but it is very minimal and has not caused any paint issues. The floorboards are solid and free of any corrosion issues as well as the bulkhead which is super solid. Later model doors are very nice and do not have any of the typical corrosion issues.

The drivetrain starts with a 6 cylinder 4.2 liter Turbo diesel motor. This is a transplant from the 4 door Nissan Patrol and is fully mechanical and has a ton of power. The install is very clean and looks as if it should have been there from new. This is a lot larger than a land rover diesel and the power is notable and makes driving it quite fun.

Hooked to the 4.2 tdi is a Land Rover LT77 transmission and LT230 transfer case. The transmission and clutch operate just as they should with no noises or issues. Transfer case is also functioning properly. The motor in this truck is higher revving compared to most diesels and when coupled with the 3.54 ratio diffs and Land Rover transmission it drives a bit different than a rover tdi. First gear starts out a little slower but once you start to get the motor turning boost it goes like crazy and continues through 4th gear. 5th gear drops the rpms a little below the powerband so its really ideal for 60mph or more. Note: Also had a local diesel mechanic service the fuel system from tank to injectors to make sure it was all clean and serviced as it should be.

Underneath the truck is fitted with a brand new suspension kit including 3 inch lift spring and matched long travel pro comp shocks. It is also equipped with diff guards and has cones in the rear. The truck drives very well and flexes nicely. Truck also has very tight steering and excellent brakes. Please note, this truck is equipped with 5 BRAND NEW Insa Turbo Special Track (265/75/16) offroad tires. Although this size is usually considered a 32 inch tire, these measure out as a solid 33 inches. These tires will perform amazing off road but they require a little bit of caution on the road and are not ideal for a lot of highway driving.

Onto the interior: The truck has been fitted with some racing seats that are very supportive and comfy but they are designed for smaller people. The dash is in very good condition and does not have any damage or cracks. Roof has a full headliner installed, and the rear has a rubber mat and also comes with a 5 bar loadliner kit for the cargo area that is brand new. The truck has also had the MudUK rear bulkhead kit which removes the top portion of the bulkhead allowing you to move the seats further back and recline them more making the drive much more comfortable. Front is fitted with genuine rubber mats for the footwells.

Overall this truck is a really nice example of an 84 Land Rover 90 and has an amazing drivetrain with gobs of power. I have provided a link below with more pics and have tried to describe it to the best of my ability but I welcome any questions so please feel free to ask away.

***Pics Here: http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/m...%206cyl%20tdi/ ***

The truck is located in NC and will be sold with all documentation required to title and register the vehicle in your state. This is a legally imported 1984 Land Rover with all the documentation. I am happy to help assist with shipping arrangements at the buyers cost

Asking $13,500 obo

Some accesories not shown are also available including a roof rack and winch bumper. Can also source soft top kits, new seats, rock sliders, etc...

Chuck
(919) 270-1358
cpleimone@yahoo.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2270.jpg
Views:	915
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	21780   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2272.jpg
Views:	885
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	21781  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2275.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	21782   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2241.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	21783  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2009, 04:43 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
nice except for ALL the diamond plating.
Old September 27th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Buyrovers
Chuck Leimone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90
nice except for ALL the diamond plating.
I freakin know... The good thing is it is not hiding anything anywhere as this truck is super solid and rust free, but he put the shit on everything! I was getting ready to take the sills and running boards off and put some sliders on there but just don't have the time or room for the truck so decided not to do anything else to it. If I still have it after MAR I am going to tape it off and spray the 5 bar black.

C-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2009, 04:57 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buyrovers
I freakin know... The good thing is it is not hiding anything anywhere as this truck is super solid and rust free, but he put the shit on everything! I was getting ready to take the sills and running boards off and put some sliders on there but just don't have the time or room for the truck so decided not to do anything else to it. If I still have it after MAR I am going to tape it off and spray the 5 bar black.

C-
TAKE IF OFF THE HOOD AND CROSSMEMBER. , Solid side windows? is that stock?
Old September 27th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Buyrovers
Chuck Leimone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90
TAKE IF OFF THE HOOD AND CROSSMEMBER. , Solid side windows? is that stock?
The crossmember is the area I want to de-5 bar first as soon as I get a spare minute (seemingly never). The stock windows were 2 piece like NAS trucks. The windows in this one I have seen in lots of other trucks but don't believe they were ever factory.
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Roving Beetle
Doug
Many come and go - and leak fluids.

**subliminal messages** you want to trade one of your TDI Defenders for my International truck **subliminal messages**

Old September 29th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
trouble with taking the 5-bar off the body panels is that it leaves holes that then need to be welded up or filled some other way. Good thing is the sills can be replaced easily enough with sliders or new sills. The holes in the xmember are easy to fix and the 5bar on the bonnet serves an actual purpose. So that just leaves those rear corners which is probably just worth living with. Fixed side windows have always been an option on Land Rovers. In the UK the cars are taxed differently if they have any side windows at all which is why they are often left as van sides. Or so I've been told, by someone who should know.

Don't let the peanut gallery wear you down. Sweet truck and a good price from where I sit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buyrovers
The crossmember is the area I want to de-5 bar first as soon as I get a spare minute (seemingly never). The stock windows were 2 piece like NAS trucks. The windows in this one I have seen in lots of other trucks but don't believe they were ever factory.
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:36 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

No negative thoughts but I hope you still have this at weeks end, I look forward to seeing it at MAR.
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:40 PM
quick128
Trevor Ross
Series 109 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by draaronr
No negative thoughts but I hope you still have this at weeks end, I look forward to seeing it at MAR.
me too. I wonder if my wife would get suspicious if I asked her if we could come up with about 13K. Maybe if I told her it was for a diamond she would ok it.
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:43 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick128
me too. I wonder if my wife would get suspicious if I asked her if we could come up with about 13K. Maybe if I told her it was for a diamond she would ok it.
No, No, No, you tell her that it will be the perfect vehicle for the two of you to get lost together away from the cell phones, internet, blah, blah, blah, It will be just the two of you spending time together. Can you tell I have been married for a long time.
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:51 PM
quick128
Trevor Ross
Series 109 diesel

that wouldn't work. She almost refused to go to mexico last summer because her blackberry wasn't working at dulles airport and if I couldn't fix it before takeoff she wasn't going. Luckily after being on the phone with alltel for an hour I was able to fix it and we had a great time.
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:05 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Maybe if I told her it was for a diamond she would ok it.
HAHA yesssss do it! Tell her there are diamonds (don't say plating!!!) all over a present for her...don't say it's set in aluminum...she may get suspicious...
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Buyrovers
Chuck Leimone

Thanks to all for the kind words! It is a really cool truck but definitely unique and will require a unique buyer...Hence the low asking price. I am planning on bringing it to MAR, unless a fellow in TN I have been working with comes up with the money, so it will be available for test drives (on and off road) and offers.

C-
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:37 PM
Buyrovers
Chuck Leimone

Sold.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:37 AM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Is this the truck I saw in Apex (55 and salem st) two nights ago? Just curious... I was on my way back from sanford ~midnight.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:02 PM
Buyrovers
Chuck Leimone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpamike
Is this the truck I saw in Apex (55 and salem st) two nights ago? Just curious... I was on my way back from sanford ~midnight.
Possibly. Another rover nerd that is my partner in this import side of my business lives in Apex and we keep trucks there occasionally.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:22 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Very cool.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:30 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
that wouldn't work. She almost refused to go to mexico last summer because her blackberry wasn't working at dulles airport and if I couldn't fix it before takeoff she wasn't going. Luckily after being on the phone with alltel for an hour I was able to fix it and we had a great time.
No offense but thats jacked up. I wouldn't take that shit from someone that I'm taking to Mexico, wife or not.

Robert Deniro
Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:02 PM
Buyrovers
Chuck Leimone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpamike
Very cool.
You coming to URE this weekend? I am getting a new clutch put in another tdi today and hopefully will be in route tomorrow. Stop by and check us out. Just look for the Red Mountain Rovers banner.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 10:19 AM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Nope. Can't make it to URE this weekend... lots going on at work. I'd love to meet up with everyone some other time though.

Have a great weekend!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
1984, 90, diesel