Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old May 16th, 2010, 09:22 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
1984 Defender 110, RHD 3.5 V8 158k miles - $8k

Sadly "Janey", my 1984 Defender 110 is up for sale. You may know my wife bought me a series truck recently. She knew I was lusting after it but I showed great restraint and decided against it because I knew 3 rovers was beyond my limit (both space and time). She went ahead and bought it for me and surprised me for my birthday. I'm happy to have the series but really can't handle 3 rovers so I think it's time for Janey to find a new home. $10k ONRO

When I got the truck in October of 2007 it had about 150,000 miles on her. Since then I have put about 7500 additional miles on the odometer (more than on my D90 in the same period) but it's probably about 750-1000 miles more since the speedo cable was broke for a while, including a trip to Uwharrie, and I was commuting at the time so actually put some miles on her. She's a good runner and awesome offroad. I just took her to Uwharrie (for the third time) towing a 1500# trailer there and back and did every trail there.

Improvements

- Had a new radiator, waterpump and exhaust already at the time of purchase.
- Replaced the rear cross member, patched the frame and outriggers.
- New tires and wire wheeled and painted the wheels
- All new brakes on the rear except backing plate. New front brakes and rebuilt front calipers.
- Fixed assorted wiring problems, added inverter and extra outlets wired, blue-sea distribution block, new battery
- New fuel pump
- New speedo cable (both upper and lower)
- Wired for CB with base for cobra 75 wx st cb (handset not included) and cb antennae/worklight mount
- Installed original front door bottoms (thanks to Mike from ECR) with period correct white tops. I had to get a bunch of hardware to get the middle doors working when I first got it, and recently painted them a little nicer and added galvy trim.
- Added custom sliders, steering guard, front diff guard.
- Replaced heater core (but switch has an issue now so it only works at one low speed)
- Replaced the steering box (used) and new steering arm/ball joint. Sadly the original may be fine given my reservoir still leaks. The old box felt better than it's (used) replacement and I still have it. I planned to get it rebuilt and then re-install.
- Lots of minor stuff and regular maintenance type items.

The bad

I have added a few dents
Has leaking rear main seal and power steering reservoir is still leaking somewhere.
Middle doors are crap, rear door pretty rusty.
Despite being all one color, it's multi-toned.

Pictures I took today (if it looks like it was washed by a 10 year old, sorry it was):

http://www.whereisjaney.com/photos/v/for_sale/

Short video to hear her run. I took some video driving but the cameras mic is super sensitive to wind so it was really bad audio and kind of pointless:

More pictures I have taken while owning her (and the site has a little bit of history on her):

http://gallery.lhsw.com/janey

Thanks, and please PM or call if you have any interest.

charles
703 728 9247
charles at galpin dot org
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0139.JPG
Views:	662
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	27663  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
She is a nice truck specially for the money.

GLWS
Old May 17th, 2010, 12:13 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Delivery available anywhere for gas money and a southwest ticket.
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2010, 12:22 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
No! Don't worry Charles, still having 2 is damn good...and you'll get more use out of those 2 than anyone else would out of 1 I'm sure.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old May 17th, 2010, 07:45 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Delivery available anywhere for gas money and a southwest ticket.
Actually the ideal buyer would want delivery to Moab in October
Old May 17th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Neat truck. I have helped Charles do some stuff to her and watched him do some things offroad with the truck that forced the rest of us to start calling him a Jedi Knight. We have also done some very long road trips together running 75mph and she never misses a beat (except that he had to stop for fuel when the tdi still had a half tank). Great price for a 110 that I wouldn't hesitate to jump in and drive most anywhere. A more honest seller doesn't exist.....

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old May 17th, 2010, 09:01 AM
bitz
Jon
NAS D90, 85 D110 CSW, 66 Dormobile

Looks like a great deal.
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:41 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

this is a hell of a deal. You can't import them this cheap with this kind of mechanical history.
Old May 17th, 2010, 01:45 PM
evilfij
evilfij

BTW she is in good mechanical shape. The speedo picture in my avitar is Janey's speedo. She will do 110mph.

Ron
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:32 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Well, lets be real - it's a 26 year old land rover with 158k on the clock. But yes she's a runner and I'd take her on a long trip in a heartbeat. The rear main seal is going to need to be addressed sooner or later though.
Old May 19th, 2010, 01:29 AM
Paul@adventures
Paul Oxley
75/S3 88, 75/S2B FC, 84/110, 89/110

Interesting vehicle. I have the exact same truck. Apparently made by Land-Rover/Leyland South Africa for an Israeli military contract (the 4 split doors), but never delivered. There were apparently only 12 made.

Mine had the same colour scheme even: red below and sand above the waistline - now painted as a Land-Rover should be painted... green with a white roof.
Old May 19th, 2010, 01:34 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Uh-oh...Charles from the sound of it this may be the excuse you were looking for not to sell it...you've got a rare breed on your hands!

------ Follow up post added May 19th, 2010 01:35 AM ------

PS - Paul...conniston green or pastel green?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old May 19th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Paul@adventures
Paul Oxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
PS - Paul...conniston green or pastel green?
It was going to be DBG, but the parks and game reserves down here have more or less standardised on a shade that's known as Mala Mala Green.
Old May 19th, 2010, 07:56 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Hi Paul, welcome to the forums. It's a small world isn't it - I was born and raised in SA.

If this truck was from SA I'd be keeping it for sure, but it's not. I don't think it's particularly rare either (although it has some colorful history if you are a rover romantic and care about such things).

The doors you see are not 2 piece doors but this was standard for that era afaik. These middle doors have bad frames but are a single piece with some faux galvy trim in the middle (thanks Mat). I do have a set of good condition 2 piece middle doors (in trident green) as well as a liftgate and tailgate which I intended to use to make her a convertible. They are not included in the sale although I'm happy to negotiate with the buyer for them.
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Paul@adventures
Paul Oxley

Huh! Small world indeed...

Are you certain that the doors aren't two piece? AFAIK L-R only used the slanted split windows glass on the front with the all ally doortops, and that would suggest that the back doortops are also the extruded ally-type. If you take off the door trim panels you should be able to unbolt the doortops. Unless the vehicle has S3 back doors retrofitted (SPOT)...
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:15 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yes very sure. The original middle doors are on one of the beach runner trucks built by ECR. These middle doors are some old (maybe 109") doors that Ron had (he'll have to confirm their origin). When I got the truck each middle door had one hinge and no other hardware (unless you count a bungee strap). If you look at the pictures I posted the middle doors have no cards and their condition should be clear.

I took high quality photos and covered everything, good and bad, instead of taking the typical "fuzzy shot from 20 feet" we get with ads using colorful phrases like "a tidy example", "bring your hammer", and my favorite "pulls like a train".
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:06 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
There are lots of photos online

It's been brought to my attention that I might not have made it clear that there are a bunch of photos in the URLs below. 60+ high quality photos I took on Sunday for example. I am too lazy to post them all here so just follow the links to see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Pictures I took today (if it looks like it was washed by a 10 year old, sorry it was):

Short video to hear her run. I took some video driving but the cameras mic is super sensitive to wind so it was really bad audio and kind of pointless:

More pictures I have taken while owning her (and the site has a little bit of history on her):

http://gallery.lhsw.com/janey
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
It was clear-I'm just a bit slow before my third cup of java each day.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old May 19th, 2010, 06:34 PM
evilfij
evilfij

The middle doors are off of a 1964 land rover dormobile from canada and were painted with home depot red on the outside. They could be saved with some welding.

Ron
Old May 20th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
comment moved to the other thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
110, 1984, defender 110, rhd, v8