1981 Defender Series III (British spec) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old May 29th, 2013, 11:13 PM
RichardMB
Richard
1981 Defender

1981 Defender Series III (British spec)

I bought her while stationed in England and had her imported when I moved back to America last year. Montana winters have proven to be too harsh for her though so I'm ready to send her to a better home. I am also getting knee surgery here in the next few weeks and will not be able to work on her as much as I would like before the cold comes again. Asking price is $15,000 but I'm willing to negotiate.

Few stats:
Right-hand drive/steering wheel
Engine: 4 cylinder diesel 200 TDI
Transmission: 4-spd manual
Drive Type: 4 wheel drive
Interior Heating

Engine transmission and transfer case run perfectly. Minor repair required: needs new front and rear axle. Price includes 4 additional mudding tires, bed cover, winch (10K lb) and snorkel. Tires replaced in Aug 2012; they only have ~1,000 miles on them. Under carriage is rhino-lined. Shovel and pickax are original to the truck. She's been an awesome project car; hate to see her go...

Please send a PM with any questions or interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1438.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	73467   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1435.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	73468  

Name:	IMGP1443.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	73469   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1440.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	73470  

Name:	IMGP1436.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	73471   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1444.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	73472  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 2nd, 2013, 09:03 AM
motomoss
Anthony Moss
97 NAS D90

What is the reason for needing new axles? rust or damage? What is the mileage?

Thanks
Old June 2nd, 2013, 12:35 PM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
-

Good luck!
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 2nd, 2013, 12:46 PM
RichardMB
Richard
1981 Defender

The front axle broke when I was in Lewis and Clark National Forest trying to help my buddy move his truck that was stuck in the snow. On the way back to Great Falls, I lost 4-wheel drive. There wasn't a cluck or bang identifying that something broke. The rear axle stopped working a few days later when I was in town going to the store. I was pulling away from a stop sign, by my house, and as soon as I gave some her some gas, there was a clunk. I pushed her back to the house and discovered that both drive shafts turned, but I had no rotation at the wheels. When the drive shafts are spinning there isn't any clicking noise from the axles, telling me exactly which one it is or if its the differential. The axles are original to the truck, along with the differentials.
As per the mileage I can only guess. The previous owner in England removed the petrol engine from the vehicle to install a Discovery 200TDI from a totaled vehicle. He had the engine rebuilt prior to installation. The speed-o cable broke 501 miles after installing the new engine. The previous owner said he probably only put a 100 miles on her before I purchased her. I put probably 200 miles on her in England and had a new rear main, all 6 slave cylinders, and a master cylinder installed. Since I've moved back to America, I've put around 1700 miles on her. So since the new engine was installed, I would have to guess around 2,000-3,000 miles.
I hope this helps; let me know if you have any other questions.
Old June 4th, 2013, 07:56 PM
RichardMB
Richard
1981 Defender

I'm lowering the asking price to $10,000 considering she needs some work before she's up and running again. Let me know if you're interested and feel free to make any other offers. Willing to negotiate.

Richard

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
defender, series