1980 Series III 109 - Australian - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old June 5th, 2015, 02:03 AM
Surf90's Avatar
Surf90
Status: Offline
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 943
Registry
1980 Series III 109 - Australian

First things first. I purchased this truck a few months ago from the previous California owner. He had smogged it and legally registered it in California by "having his mechanic do it." It has a flawlessly operating LPG conversion and does run significantly cleaner on the LPG than on petrol. I have gone through a few smog checks and have not been fully successful to dial in the carb to pass California smog. I have passed the first two, but the third has been a fail. I have done A LOT of calling around and face-to-face talking and from what I gather a 25 year old diesel will most likely be my easiest course of action to legal defender ownership.

The truck was in great condition when I got it, but in the last month I have gone through and replaced all of the fluids, replaced the fuel pump, re-built the rear passenger wheel hub, and installed a new gutter kit. I also gave the ol Aussie a fresh garage paint job. Honestly the paint looks presentable and my neighbors like it a lot more than the nato green. The paint will not win any beauty contests, but from a few feet it looks good and gets a lot of smiles and thumbs up.

The highlights of this 109:

*Virtually rust free. See the photos. It was in Western Australia until at least 2009 from what I can gather and it shows. There is no rot anywhere. The window tops have a little bit of surface rust, but I think that is because the PO stored them outside.

*Only 79,000 Kilometers ( ONLY 43,500 MILES )

* Legit LPG Conversion. Run this beast off off gas or propane. Super easy toggle switch between sources.

*Fairey Overdrive

*Strong running daily driver for me (starts first click every time and I drive it about 10 miles a day, everyday)

*Shifts smooth and strong

*Roll cage added

*I also have new rubber shift boots, I just have not installed them yet

*I have a new black ex-moor top ordered, but have not received it yet

*I don't know of another Aussie 109 in California or the US (there probably are a few, but I haven't seen them)

Honestly I do not want to sell this truck. I know with more time or money I could figure out the smog, but with the California registration expiring on it next month I wanted to reach out to see if anyone has a DIESEL 109 or 110 that they would want to trade. I am willing to move down into a truck with a bit more rust that you feel would be valued equally. If I have to put a price or a number on this I would hope to get at least $15,000. But again, I would much prefer a trade. And I know this is not a conventional 'for sale' post, so moderators if you need to move or delete, please do so as necessary.

Thanks so much in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0919.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	541.9 KB
ID:	122319   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0920.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	561.0 KB
ID:	122320  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0921.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	565.1 KB
ID:	122321   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0922.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	583.8 KB
ID:	122322  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0923.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	526.2 KB
ID:	122323   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0925.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	517.2 KB
ID:	122324  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0926.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	515.7 KB
ID:	122325   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0927.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	455.9 KB
ID:	122326  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0928.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	506.2 KB
ID:	122327   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0929.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	122328  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0930.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	467.1 KB
ID:	122329   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0931.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	423.7 KB
ID:	122330  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0932.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	399.6 KB
ID:	122331   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0933.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	396.2 KB
ID:	122332  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0934.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	514.1 KB
ID:	122333   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0935.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	543.2 KB
ID:	122334  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0936.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	488.1 KB
ID:	122335   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0937.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	486.5 KB
ID:	122336  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0938.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	510.1 KB
ID:	122337   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0939.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	577.9 KB
ID:	122338  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0941.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	485.2 KB
ID:	122339   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0942.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	503.8 KB
ID:	122340  

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old June 5th, 2015, 02:46 AM
scrubs
Status: Offline
henery
1974
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: midwest,USA
Posts: 583
Maybe find someone who has a Ex mod diesel they just pulled, might be a idea?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old June 5th, 2015, 05:22 AM
Rocky's Avatar
Rocky
Status: Online
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Colonies Aka Boston
Posts: 8,795
Cali emission standards aren't something I understand.
But I would have thought an lpg powered vehicle would pass easily. California intolerance of diesels is proven by many threads saying my diesel failed the emission test.
__________________
A friend of mine runs a land rover / range rover specialty repair shop. Based on his experience, they are capable of stopping anywhere, anytime, at any cost.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old June 5th, 2015, 07:58 AM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,557
Registry
Like sands through the hourglass...

Just kidding. I'm sure you hate to sell it, but you're cursed. Haha. Have you brought it to the PO's mechanic?
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old June 5th, 2015, 08:31 AM
Contractor's Avatar
Contractor
Status: Offline
Will
1969 IIA
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: The South
Posts: 560
That is a very cool, very rust free Series.

GLWS, I'd like to have that.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old June 5th, 2015, 04:00 PM
bjf's Avatar
bjf
Status: Online
barry f
94 ST #395
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,969
Why not go to the smog station the previous owner used? If it has a previous ca reg and smog there is no reason you cant figure this out.
__________________
Quote:
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old June 5th, 2015, 04:04 PM
Surf90's Avatar
Surf90
Status: Offline
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 943
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Like sands through the hourglass... Just kidding. I'm sure you hate to sell it, but you're cursed. Haha. Have you brought it to the PO's mechanic?
That was my first step. I called up the PO and asked for all the info on the last smog record and he said "oh my mechanic did it I don't know how he did it." I asked how I could contact him so I could just reach out to him and get specifics, he said that the mechanic is not in business anymore and there is no way to reach him. VERY fishy to say the least.

------ Follow up post added June 5th, 2015 01:07 PM ------

Like I said, I will continue to attempt to work through this, adjusting and testing, and adjusting more as needed. I know there are some guys out here with pretty extensive Rover inventory and wanted to see if they wanted to swap a unique Series III into the quiver.

------ Follow up post added June 5th, 2015 01:08 PM ------

Not looking to flip or cut a profit. Quite the opposite actually. Just trying to become a legit and legal California rover owner again. I have a business out of state as well, but I would prefer to go the straight edge route.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old June 14th, 2015, 02:42 AM
Surf90's Avatar
Surf90
Status: Offline
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 943
Registry
Bump. Parked it in a parking lot this week, a guy walks up to me and says "nice rover, what year is it?" I say "thanks, it's a 1980." He says "very cool, I have a 2005 110." I say "wow, how do you have that here?." He says "oh I just had it put on a 1973 chassis."

Punch me in the face. I'm trying to do things legit and legal, and then this dude cruises up. Thanks bro.

Anyway. I posted my rover to eBay yesterday but not expecting much out of it. I am open to offers, and of course trades. I love early to mid 60's station wagons and vans, classic pickups, and all land cruisers. And of course diesel 90s or 110s

------ Follow up post added June 13th, 2015 11:43 PM ------

My California registration is up on July 17 so I need to figure something out before then. I will continue to try to smog it until then as well.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old June 15th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Surf90's Avatar
Surf90
Status: Offline
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 943
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2193071492.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	954.8 KB
ID:	122952

Beauties.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old June 18th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Surf90's Avatar
Surf90
Status: Offline
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 943
Registry
Price drop. $13,500
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old June 18th, 2015, 02:01 PM
bjf's Avatar
bjf
Status: Online
barry f
94 ST #395
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf90 View Post
Bump. Parked it in a parking lot this week, a guy walks up to me and says "nice rover, what year is it?" I say "thanks, it's a 1980." He says "very cool, I have a 2005 110." I say "wow, how do you have that here?." He says "oh I just had it put on a 1973 chassis."

Punch me in the face. I'm trying to do things legit and legal, and then this dude cruises up. Thanks bro.

Anyway. I posted my rover to eBay yesterday but not expecting much out of it. I am open to offers, and of course trades. I love early to mid 60's station wagons and vans, classic pickups, and all land cruisers. And of course diesel 90s or 110s

------ Follow up post added June 13th, 2015 11:43 PM ------

My California registration is up on July 17 so I need to figure something out before then. I will continue to try to smog it until then as well.
How are you planning to register a diesel 90 or 110?
__________________
Quote:
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old June 18th, 2015, 02:14 PM
bjf's Avatar
bjf
Status: Online
barry f
94 ST #395
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,969
I'm asking because he is talking about how he is selling a truck because he can't register it and his solution is to buy another truck he also won't be able to register.
__________________
Quote:
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old June 18th, 2015, 02:17 PM
javelinadave
Status: Offline
-
-
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: -
Posts: 5,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
How are you planning to register a diesel 90 or 110?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Why do you ask? Or are you offering a solution?

-Jeff
Barry is in an ornery mood this morning.
Might I suggest more fiber in your diet.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old June 18th, 2015, 02:19 PM
bjf's Avatar
bjf
Status: Online
barry f
94 ST #395
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Barry is in an ornery mood this morning.
Might I suggest more fiber in your diet.
All true but it is legit question.
__________________
Quote:
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old June 18th, 2015, 02:29 PM
bjf's Avatar
bjf
Status: Online
barry f
94 ST #395
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,969
Nope I have no solution for registering in CA.
__________________
Quote:
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old June 18th, 2015, 03:50 PM
Surf90's Avatar
Surf90
Status: Offline
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 943
Registry
Yes I do believe I may have a shot at registering a diesel. Not wanting to type all about it until I can give it a try. Nothing shady, just thoughts I have based on a lot of conversations I've had with DMV officials. Certainly not 100%, but worth a shot. ------ Follow up post added June 18th, 2015 12:58 PM ------ Anyway I'm at $13.5 Here is a link to Dropbox with photos and videos: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t6b7l1gzh...H6RgCYw-a?dl=0
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old June 18th, 2015, 10:50 PM
Kelbo's Avatar
Kelbo
Status: Offline
Kelly
'86 110
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: In a River
Posts: 346
Registry
Pm sent.
__________________
Kelbo

'86 110

Former Rigs:
'94 D 90 ST
'84 D 130 Hi-Cap
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old June 19th, 2015, 09:24 AM
JBinAlabama
Status: Online
john
Series 2A ..more parts on the way
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Posts: 278
GREAT looking Truck...(the board is cool too)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old June 20th, 2015, 12:45 PM
bpierson99
Status: Offline
Brien Pierson
2009 Range Rover Supercharger
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf90 View Post
First things first. I purchased this truck a few months ago from the previous California owner. He had smogged it and legally registered it in California by "having his mechanic do it." It has a flawlessly operating LPG conversion and does run significantly cleaner on the LPG than on petrol. I have gone through a few smog checks and have not been fully successful to dial in the carb to pass California smog. I have passed the first two, but the third has been a fail. I have done A LOT of calling around and face-to-face talking and from what I gather a 25 year old diesel will most likely be my easiest course of action to legal defender ownership.

The truck was in great condition when I got it, but in the last month I have gone through and replaced all of the fluids, replaced the fuel pump, re-built the rear passenger wheel hub, and installed a new gutter kit. I also gave the ol Aussie a fresh garage paint job. Honestly the paint looks presentable and my neighbors like it a lot more than the nato green. The paint will not win any beauty contests, but from a few feet it looks good and gets a lot of smiles and thumbs up.

The highlights of this 109:

*Virtually rust free. See the photos. It was in Western Australia until at least 2009 from what I can gather and it shows. There is no rot anywhere. The window tops have a little bit of surface rust, but I think that is because the PO stored them outside.

*Only 79,000 Kilometers ( ONLY 43,500 MILES )

* Legit LPG Conversion. Run this beast off off gas or propane. Super easy toggle switch between sources.

*Fairey Overdrive

*Strong running daily driver for me (starts first click every time and I drive it about 10 miles a day, everyday)

*Shifts smooth and strong

*Roll cage added

*I also have new rubber shift boots, I just have not installed them yet

*I have a new black ex-moor top ordered, but have not received it yet

*I don't know of another Aussie 109 in California or the US (there probably are a few, but I haven't seen them)

Honestly I do not want to sell this truck. I know with more time or money I could figure out the smog, but with the California registration expiring on it next month I wanted to reach out to see if anyone has a DIESEL 109 or 110 that they would want to trade. I am willing to move down into a truck with a bit more rust that you feel would be valued equally. If I have to put a price or a number on this I would hope to get at least $15,000. But again, I would much prefer a trade. And I know this is not a conventional 'for sale' post, so moderators if you need to move or delete, please do so as necessary.

Thanks so much in advance!
Where in California are you? I might be interested in it as I have 6 Rovers now and am always looking to add to my collection!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old June 20th, 2015, 10:49 PM
Surf90's Avatar
Surf90
Status: Offline
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 943
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpierson99 View Post
Where in California are you? I might be interested in it as I have 6 Rovers now and am always looking to add to my collection!
Hey Brien - I'm in Encinitas, CA (North County San Diego)

Just let me know if you want to check it out and we'll set up a time.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
109, series, series iii

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1980 109 soft top galvi chassis greenmountainrover For Sale - Vehicles 5 March 24th, 2015 09:08 AM
1980 Land Rover 109 V8 Stage One Firemanshort Defender & Series Truck Registry 3 September 21st, 2014 04:23 PM
Heartbreaker :: 1980 Land Rover Series III Dave Thiessen Defender & Series Truck Registry 1 April 4th, 2013 06:17 PM
1980 RHD 2DR 109 Diesel Feeler mountainviewrover For Sale - Vehicles 14 June 29th, 2012 08:14 PM
1980 Land Rover Series 3 109 SW weatherm For Sale - Vehicles 6 May 15th, 2010 04:03 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 PM.


Copyright