Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old May 16th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Bricktop
Jon Paulikonis
1998 Discovery

Registry
1979 Series III ex-MOD 109 For Sale $6850

1979 Series III Ex-MOD 109 RHD 2.25L petrol 4-speed power brakes hard and soft top. Great project truck, and I think it can be a pretty reliable ride with little investment. I am selling it due to the purchase of a Stage One 109 SW, which suited the family better. Wish I could keep it – it would make a great work horse. Asking $6850. Got it in NC a while back, and I hope to find it a good home! Vehicle is located in Northern Virginia/DC Metro area.

Sorry for the long ad, but I am trying to disclose everything I know. Email me at jpandlp@cox.net for more photos and information. Thanks for looking.

FFR - antenna mast and extra storage behind the front doors I think are the only remaining evidence of FFR

12V system

Pretty sure it has heavy duty springs - it is a very solid ride.

Dished bonnet with spare mount.

New gas tank.

Fairly new rear crossmember replaced at some point (it's not military, and I don't think military crossmembers are available)

WHERE IT NEEDS WORK:

Transmission case has a crack. When full, the transmission is quiet and pretty smooth. I tried some JB on it; it actually slowed the leak substantially. I have a tube of high quality marine aluminum seal that I have not tried yet. Recommend putting the innards in a IIA case, as IIA cases are available, and my understanding is that this conversion has yielded good results.

Leaking brake wheel cylinder on the front right wheel.

Needs a switch for the wipers to park properly.

Frame needs further treatment; based upon my past experience with my 1963 109, it still has life in it. I already treated areas with naval jelly. My recommendation is to treat it further (good cleaning) and apply POR15. There is an area that needs a patch on the inner frame in front of the first rear spring hanger on the left side.

Right rear wheel opening trailing edge has a small fold in it.

Rear shocks will need replacement, and right rear spring might need to be repacked.

Gets some rumble on deceleration from higher speeds (I think 35-50mph).

Slight coolant leakage around the gooseneck.

THE GOOD:

Very good running 2.25; starts right up nice and smooth with a little choke. Need to keep a little choke for smooth running. Operates in normal temp range even on hot days.

Nice tight, positive steering. Tracks straight. Swivels in good shape.

Comes with full length soft top, hoops, horizontal supports, and cab-frame; may need some small hardware pieces.

Comes with rear tailgate that has most of the pioneer mounting kit.

Hard top has a Station Wagon tropical roof and rear door. I have new bolts for mounting the hard top and rear door hinges.

Decent 7.5x16 tires with a good amount of tread; Avon Rangemasters on the front; Goodyear Wrangler ATs on the back.

Super strong front bumper with over riders.

Comes with a tune up kit: plugs already changed, Ducellier distributor cap, rotor, condenser, points, spark plug wires. BTW, the plugs that came out were in excellent condition.

Comes with two oil filter elements.

Comes with a rear license plate light (needs to be mounted).

Comes with a rearview mirror (needs to be mounted).

Three point shoulder seatbelts in the front. Still need to be bolted to body.

The previous owner apparently spray painted the vehicle with a mil-spec looking green color, it looks like the original NATO green/black camo is in good shape underneath. I can tell this, because that spray paint is starting to peel in places. I was planning on gently power washing it to flake away more of the inferior paint and getting it to the original NATO camo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1207.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	51725   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1205.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	51726  

Name:	MINI_3.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	51727   Click image for larger version

Name:	MINI_9.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	51728  

Name:	MINI_10.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	51729  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Jon's a stand-up guy who I've known for over a decade. While I haven't seen this truck, I'd be very comfortable that he's disclosing everything he knows about it. Good luck with the sale.
Old May 17th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Ditto on that, will vouch for Jon he has been around these parts as long as I can remember. (though how long I can remember things may be another question)

Good to see you on here Jon and good luck with the sale. Looks like a solid rig.

Cheers/Bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks View Post
Jon's a stand-up guy who I've known for over a decade. While I haven't seen this truck, I'd be very comfortable that he's disclosing everything he knows about it. Good luck with the sale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Bricktop
Jon Paulikonis
1998 Discovery

Registry
Thanks so much for the kind words, gentlemen! Likewise back at you. The Rover community is full of class acts.

For anyone who may have sent emails, just FYI, my home internet is intermittent at best. Should be up tomorrow, and I will respond to any messages accordingly.

Very best regards,
Jon
Old May 29th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Bricktop
Jon Paulikonis
1998 Discovery

Registry
Price Drop Bump

I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day week-end.

Spun some wrenches on the truck this week-end. Changed the transfer case gasket. One bolt head was broken, so I VERY carefully drilled it out and re-tapped the hole.

Also changed the oil and filter - no issues. Price drop to $6350.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
109, 97, mod, series, series iii