1978 fj40 $7950 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 10th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Like my Tatas?
1978 fj40 $7950

I know it is not a Land Rover but it is coming from a Land Rover home

So the time has come for me to let go of my first love, my 1978 FJ40. I have found a new lover so I need the space. Here are some of the specifics:

1978 fj40. I bought it in California so it has very little rust. The chassis is in very good shape. The body panels has some rust on the right fender and hood. It was like that when I bought it.

1. Two inch spring lift + Custom anti-inversion shackles gives roughly 3 overall lift : 2 1/2" suspension lift with 1 1/2" shackle (front) and 2 1/2" shackle (rear).

2. Rancho RS 5000 shocks

3. Grease-able grade 8 shackle pins

4. Warn hubs

5. Aluminum rims X 5

6. BF Goodrich All-terrain T/A KO 33 x 10.5 (90% tread) on all 4

7. BF Goodrich Mud-terrain 32 x 11.5 (bought new but never used) as spare

8. Custom-made steel roofrack with full support for rain gutter.

9. Top mounted off-road lights x 4 on roof rack

10. Bulletproof Manufacturing front and rear bumper with 4 stainless steel shackles (2 front, 2 rear). Front and rear bumper have 2 hitch receiver. Front has 4 mounting tabs for off-road lights

11. On-board air compressor to run air tools or tire inflation

12. BTB 1/4 inch steel diamond-plated rocker panels

13. Custom-made rear swing-away cooler/ gas can carrier (fits 3)

14. Diamond plate rear corner panel covers with fold-down steps

15. Chassis has been por-15

16. Extra OEM Roll bar fitted to the original roll bar to provide extra rollover protection

17. Center console

18. Sony removable faceplate radio.

19. Driver seat has some rips on the bottom cushion - Toyota seat covers on them. Passenger side intact

20. Front grill/light guard

21. Custom made aluminum diamond plated door panels

22. New weather-stripping on doors

23. Newly replaced rear lens

24. Hella headlights with relay

25. Inside has been lined/sprayed

26. New rebuilt steering box

27. New headliner

28. Original inline 6 2F that was completely rebuilt in 2000. Engine runs strong with little to no oil leaks. changed the oil and filter religiously every 3 months. Transmission/axle oil also changed routinely. There is a small crack in the transfercase on top that has been fixed by the original owner. Apparently his brother worked as a welder and repaired it for him. The repair is very clean. zero problems with the transfer case on or off road. Four wheel drive (high and low) works perfectly. I have an extra complete 1974 3 speed tranny and transfer case that is also included. As part of the restoration was going to exchange the transfer case to get lower gearing in addition to an intact transfer case. Supposedly this 74 transfer case has the transitional gear to properly adapt it to the later 4 speed trannys. It has Amzoil gear oil in it.

29. Complete Smog equipment from original CA

30. Mallory distributor

31. After market engine oil cooler in addition to original oil cooler

32. Oil filter relocator for easy oil change. (recommend moving it if you are serious about 4 wheeling)

33. Original OEM carb

34. Tranny/transfer bypass line to redistribute the gear oil between the two when one is overfilled.

35. Newly replaced clutch slave cylinder

36. Newly rebuilt starter

37. Newly replaced alternator

38. Complete extra 1974 tranny and transfer case

39. Kayline swing-away tire and jerry can holder

40. Soft doors x 2

41. Bikini top

42. Tubular Safari doors x 2

43. Two hinge mount telescoping side mirror arms for when driving without the hard doors

44. Two-door swing away tailgate OEM from earlier FJ model

45. OEM license plate bracket

46. Two new turn signal housing

47. Wiper motor and mechanism

Sorry but the winch, CB antenna, and hi lift is not included. I will need them for my 110 project. The winch is old and the power out function does not work (may be a bad solenoid). I bought it that way. The power in worked the last time I used it. It will be better if you bought a new winch to be safe on the trails

all gauges work - except for the OEM oil pressure gauge. bought it that way. I put in a mechanical one during the restoration with plans to fix the original one. the mechanical one works so well kept it. A few rust spots seen in photos (fender, hood). Under the truck- you have some minor oil leaks. Only a few drops/week. NO power steering. NO rear disc brakes, just drums front are disc. Right now the truck has the stock '78 tranny/transfer case which has 4.10 gearing, comes with extra 3 speed tranny/transfer case for lower gearing. Telescoping work light needs new light

ISSUE: ignition switch: I have to tell you though the contacts on the ignition switch is beginning to wear down. This is actually how the starter got rebuilt. I originally thought the starter was bad. Got that professionally rebuilt, still had a problem so I traced the lead wire back to the ignition switch. Replaced that wire with a higher gauge wire, ran it outside and separate of the original wiring harness, still had the problem. Took the ignition switch apart and discovered the contacts were worn down. I cleaned it and realigned them and it works now with only intermittent mis-contacts.

Four years ago I was offered $11K for it but just couldn't part with her. It has been a very long time since I have been involved with FJs so I am a little lost as to current market values.

I had this posted on IH8MUD initially for $9500. I went to the storage unit last week to take some more pics and after seeing the truck again after all these years, it has been in storage for a few years, I will have to adjust the price. It is still a very solid truck but will need a little TLC on the bodywork to make it worth my original asking price. My memory of it is better than it actually is. Don't forget all the extras that will come with the truck. Anyway, I have to be honest to myself and I cannot, in good conscience, ask for a price I am not willing to pay myself. I am taking $1550 off and will ask for $7950.

Why such a big drop? I am not looking to make money, I just want to get the fair-market value and have it go to an enthusiast

Links to pics:

If you are interested or know of anyone who is, please let me know. Please email me at avalon_8@hotmail.com with any questions. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1759.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	52756   Click image for larger version

Name:	fj40.JPG
Views:	1892
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	52757  

Click image for larger version

Name:	fj401.JPG
Views:	450
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	52758  

1983 110 Rebuild
Series 1
"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old June 12th, 2012, 08:28 PM
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team
I really like it...

Old June 12th, 2012, 08:31 PM
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110
Nice looking truck. I just saw an FJ-40 come into the scrapyard the other day, thought about buying it off my bosses, but it was too rusted on the body and frame to be worth it. I swiped the Badges off it and today i saw it crushed. The FJ's seem to be cheaper to get ahold of and in better shape than a Series truck. GLWS!
Old June 19th, 2012, 07:00 AM
72 + D1 drivetrain
One of the nicest trucks I've driven was an FJ60 with a six cylinder Toyota diesel and five speed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

95, 97