1977 s3 88 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 4th, 2014, 09:27 AM
08 D3, 04 D2, 77 SIII
1977 s3 88

I put her on Craigslist but here is the text:

I have decided that the best course of action at this time is for me to get rid of this project. I bought the Land Rover in 2002 when I was working in Uganda, it has been with me ever since and has been a huge part of my life and holds a significant amount of sentimental value to my family. I drove it all over Uganda and Zimbabwe as well as here in NC and Maine. It has been a great little 4x4 and been a ton of fun, but my family is currently expanding and we can't justify keeping it any more, especially as we have 2 other vehicles that will do the same thing it will plus fit our growing family.

The vehicle is a former British Army home market short wheel base Land Rover. Basically it was a civilian Rover that was painted green and used at bases in the UK and not meant for front line use. It was brought to Uganda by a British diplomat and then changed hands a few times before I bought it.

After a few decades of hard use the original frame needed replacement, which is how I got it to where it is today. I purchased a galvanized frame for it and began the swap, during this time I developed a dreaded disease that cripples many projects like this: ship fitters disease. When it set in i went around trying to fix or upgrade every little thing I could think of on the truck. I will try to sum all the work I have done here: removed rot from bulkhead and POR15'd, truck bed liner used on bulkhead, sound deadening and vibration reducing matting added, new brake lines, new master cylinder, new turn signals, all previous wiring removed and fitted for a wiring harness, Defender seats with new foam and covers, seat heaters, waterproof seat covers.

The engine is a stock 2.25 gas engine that was rebuilt a few years ago, a 2.5 cam was added, Pierce manifold with Weber 32/36 carb, header, electric fan, 10si alternator (not stock but a huge upgrade).

I have 2 windshields, one for a hard top and one for a soft top, defender door tops (aluminum frames and not steel like the original so they don't rot), hoops for soft top (missing some small parts), swing away tire carrier, Ike Goss hitch, tufty security center console with radio, tufty speaker boxes/storage boxes. Tons of other little things too.

It is currently set up for right hand drive as it was when I bought it. If you want to keep it right hand drive then you need to add power steering by having a power steering box fabd. Otherwise you can switch things around and go left hand drive and keep manual steering (or go LHD power steering with the same kind of fab previously mentioned)

The winch is NOT included, but the mount is.

If your the kind of person who is good with a wrench and has time this would be good for you.

Clear Ohio title in hand, not currently registered though.

Cash or cert bank check only. Its currently stored in Wilmington.

You can go to the link to see the pictures: http://eastnc.craigslist.org/cto/4601269150.html

contact me via email at msggunny at yahoo.com

Old August 4th, 2014, 09:55 AM
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
Good luck with the sale.

From the ad:

1977 Land Rover Series 3 SWB project - $5000 (Jacksonville)

Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Old August 8th, 2014, 06:19 AM
Buddy Lee
This makes me wish I actually had free time to do another build. Unfortunately, I have way more projects than time. But this looks like it might be a good starting platform.

Good luck with the sale.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles