1974 Series III 109 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old July 6th, 2014, 04:15 PM
toad
Cutter
None

1974 Series III 109

Classic Series Land Rover for sale. Originally a Swiss truck, this 109 is in excellent condition with straight body panels and a solid, repair free frame. A 109 ‘regular,’ in pastel green, it has 2 doors and a tail/lift gate in the back. Full length roof rack (made by a previous owner) on a removable hard top with sunshield. Fitted with the somewhat rare original Euro spec 2.6 liter 6 cylinder engine (most have the underpowered 2.25l 4 cylinder for a 109) for reasonable highway travel speeds. The vehicle has a remarkably low 82,xxx km (52,000mi) on the clock and is driven weekly. This truck would be an excellent candidate for someone looking for a stock or easy to restore classic series, or as a fun and capable daily driver as I have done. I would not hesitate to drive this truck across country, it is driven regularly and well maintained. I have replaced anything on the truck that needed attention.

This is a Land Rover Series vehicle: it leaks oil out and water in, it isn’t fast and it doesn’t have airbags or crumple zones. The paint up front looks newer and shiny, but has a patina on the sides. It is capable off road and a load of fun to drive. Simple and seductive and gets smiles and waves everywhere, and driving with the top and doortops off in the summer is amazing.

Mechanical:

Just completed a rebuild of transmission and slave cylinder in 2014. New 1st gear, layshaft and all bearings, gaskets and any items that showed wear. I've driven the truck a few weeks since completion and it is excellent.

Ashcroft High Ratio transfer case. This has higher ratio hi-gears for faster highway speeds, much like an overdrive, but retains the stock low end gears. A great combination with the 2.6 engine.

Bottom end of engine was rebuilt but Matt Browne at Overland Engineering in Eliot ME in 2010 to replace/repair crankshaft bearings and ways. He is available to vouch for the condition of the power plant and overall truck.

Rebuilt water pump, rebuilt starter, rebuilt carb, new exhaust manifold, rebuilt alternator, new Optima battery and a new Petronix electronic ignition in the past few years.

Previous Owner rebuilt the brake system, which is the strongest available for a series truck. New MC, wheel cylinders and turned drums.

Parabolic springs and Old Man Emu Shocks. All bushings replaced with Poly in 2012 Fairy locking hubs in front.

New complete custom exhaust and muffler in 2013.

Vacuum and Volt gauge added in 2011.

Interior and other:

New Trakker high-back seats in 2013 for the drive and passenger. Still have the deluxe seats these replaced which are in great condition, and a brand new deluxe bottom seat spare. Center seat is in good condition.

Stock bench seats along the bed sides for seating up to 8! I keep 2 pairs installed.

I currently have a Bestop folding seat mounted behind the bulkhead. I use this for car seats. I will include it if desired but since it is not stock it will be removed to avoid any liability issues.

Brand new exmoor insulated floor matts. -New but not installed door cards by exmoor.

Simple LEDs installed for interior lighting, there was none originally- nothing fancy and easy to remove- no holes drilled.

Wired in a USB port for charing an iPhone, discretely installed in center dash console in spare switch port.

Roof never had headliner installed, so is clean painted metal. Original owner installed wooden battens for hanging storage which are still present but easily removed.

2 inch hitch receiver installed in 2012. Highlift jack mounted to rear bumper. -New door tops and rebuilt window tracks in 2010.

Defender style mirrors on doors. Truck originally had fender mounted units but they were not present when I took ownership.

PO installed new oem gas tank

5 matching bias-ply tires with plenty of life

New to truck windscreen frame with new laminated safety glass

I've painted large areas of the frame, but this is an ongoing exercise. As I access areas for various projects I clean and paint the frame. It is repair free and in excellent condition.

Known Issues:

The Deluxe Bonnet central support is rusted through in spots and either needs repair or replacement. The Swiss spec trucks had insulation in the bonnet and this captured moisture leading to this issue. I have a replacement frame/bonnet which is included, but it hasn’t really been enough of an issue to warrant me swapping the

There is some surface rust/pitting on the top side of the passenger swivel ball. I replaced the seal this summer and leaking has stopped. A new swivel ball and rebuild kit is included.

On the top of the sun screen the paint is peeling and there is a dent over the driver side door where someone stepped. This could be straightened given attention.

There are a few cracks in the dashboard vinyl. Can be easily recovered or replaced with an OEM unit.

Driver footwell has a patch on one edge. It is very cleanly done, but is there.

Previous Owners have put holes in the hard top sides, body sides and in plenty of other places in their adventures. This includes the roof rack which is bolted onto the roof.

Doors are solid but I know there is some rust and patching under the paint on some channels. This is why the cards are not installed.

Extras and spares:

I have a complete hard top with Lasalle molded headliner. This needs some cleanup and paint, but includes alpine windows and safari vents under the sunscreen. Many other spare parts, seats, tailgate etc.

I have done my best to thoroughly describe the truck. I bought this truck and a defender prior to seeing them and had surprises. I don't want anyone to experience this so I have listed everything and included many photographs in a gallery here. Please ask questions and if you want to see something not shown please ask and I will photograph. I also have many photographs throughout my ownership and various repairs etc that I can share with the new owner as documentation of my time with it. This is a very clean truck and in very good operating condition, but is being sold as is. Thanks for looking. $16,000 OBO, located in Rhode Island.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sunsetpier1.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	98226   Click image for larger version

Name:	ToadwTag.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	98227  

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	98228   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0023.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	98229  

Name:	IMG_5682.JPG
Views:	370
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	98230  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 6th, 2014, 05:51 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
If I just had spare cash laying around. This is exactly what I would be looking for in a Series.
Kicking self now.
I know Matt. Been to his shop just up the road from the nicest Duncan Donut I've ever been in.
Is that Cajun restaurant still there?
Old July 7th, 2014, 11:02 AM
toad
Cutter
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
If I just had spare cash laying around. This is exactly what I would be looking for in a Series.
Kicking self now.
I know Matt. Been to his shop just up the road from the nicest Duncan Donut I've ever been in.
Is that Cajun restaurant still there?
That is a surprisingly nice Du-Do's, you are right! I'm not sure about the Cajun place, I never went but have vague recollections when I lived in Eliot. I went by his shop this weekend while visiting family to see what was hanging out, Matt was away but always nice to sniff the various rovers there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2014, 09:15 PM
toad
Cutter
None

A little bump after a week, drove down to Jamestown and Newport for the day, rebuilt tranny is breaking in nicely and truck is running smoothly after its spring refit. Stopped in at Specialty Vehicles to see what was in the yard, just some scrappy younger trucks...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jamestown.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	98724  
Old July 26th, 2014, 08:38 AM
toad
Cutter
None

Bump. I've shown the truck to a few people, nothing solid yet.
Old July 26th, 2014, 11:11 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

You might consider eBay with a reserve of $16,000.
Old July 27th, 2014, 12:07 AM
toad
Cutter
None

Thanks, yeah I'll put it on eBay once I get my 110 finished and there's more pressure to sell, if it hasn't by then.
Old August 11th, 2014, 09:38 AM
toad
Cutter
None

Sold

SOLD on Ebay. Headed to NYC if all goes as planned. Bittersweet.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
109, 97, series, series iii