1974 Range Rover 2 door classic w/ rebuilt 200tdi & 5 speed - Fun RRC! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old March 1st, 2013, 10:23 AM
ZombieMotors
Zak Mosieur
1987 Defender 110/300tdi

1974 Range Rover 2 door classic w/ rebuilt 200tdi & 5 speed - Fun RRC!

I recently imported this 1974 Classic 2-door Rangie with dreams of it being my personal truck.. Which it will become if I do not get what I am asking for it. I have always loved this color, and I really do enjoy the 'quaint' features of the early Range Rovers, i.e., simple dash, flush door handles, flip-up seats, no sunroof, etc.. As you may be able to tell from the photos, the previous owner made some effort to make it look like a more modern Range Rover with the newer grille, wheels and running boards. If I keep it I will remove the running boards, and I have a set of correct 16" early Range Rover Rostyle wheels I would have refinished and put on this, and even source the correct early grille. Has never bumpers too, which look nice but are not original. Range Rover is showing 132K miles on the clock, which is original, but there are notes in the records showing the speedo head was replaced @ 118K showing 9K too many miles (Meaning the truck actually only has 123,000 miles on it)

If I keep it, that is.

The outside of the truck looks very nice, BUT, there are several scratches, dents and dings, the worst of which was provided by my container stuffing folks back in the UK, who ran a strap over the lower part of the front fender causing a crease and dent up front under the blinker lens. I had it looked at, and my body shop can fix this and match paint and touch up all the scratches on the truck for about 700 dollars. Not sure if I want a garage queen, or if I would drive it like it is, I think it still looks great. Sailed through its last MOT a few months ago, and the previous owner spent over 13000 USD Dollars fitting a rebuilt 200tdi and LT77 box just over 1000 miles ago, in 2008. The truck starts right up on the button without even having to wait for the glowplugs, and does not smoke at all. Transmission shifts like butter through all 5 gears, and engine pulls strong, this Range Rover actually feels fast to drive, and rides like a car, it is very comfortable and the ride is soft (at least compared to the Defenders I have been driving). Relaxed cruising shifting into fifth around 55-60MPH, it will easily cruise at 80+ MPH. I am getting better than 25MPG around town!

Mechanically this Range Rover wants for nothing. Frame is original and rust free. Brakes, engine, gearbox have all been recently fitted or serviced and it runs great. If anything is keeping this truck from being 'terrific/perfect' it is its interior. The seats/ carpet are original and smell (a little) musty and are dirty. Manual flipping-forward seats operate as they should, but cloth is getting a bit ratty though there are no tears. Seats are comfortable however, and still firm. Drivers side (Truck is RHD) door hinge is getting a bit weak, so door sags a few millimeters when open. LH door does not. Hinges are replaceable on these early trucks, could benefit from a new hinge. Headliner appears to be newer and in very nice condition.

There is rust in a few small areas inside on the body only (not frame) an area under the LHS rear window on the inner fender well (Inside behind where the spare tire would be secured) and the front opening wing window frames have a tiny bit of rust. This is all I can find. Floors, bulkhead, sills are all solid. There is some small surface rust bubbling up under the paint under the fuel filler too, and a spot under a rear bumper corner. All looks very minor, and while the scratches were being fixed I was going too have those areas addressed too - Looks like good clean up and prep work would fix them, does not need new metal. FYI, these early trucks were assembled differently than the later Range Rovers we know, and all body panels unscrew apart from each other like a Series truck or Defender, so any bad panel (including inner wells/ floors/ etc) can be unscrewed and replaced. Very handy for restoration/ repair. Entire body sides are available in the UK should you ever need one, but the body is actually still very nice on this truck other than the spots I mentioned.

Lights all work, heater works, there is an immobilizer on the truck that speaks to you reminding you to fasten your seatbelts when you turn the key on, all glass is good, dash is nice with no cracks... The manual window regulators have been removed and it has been fitted with power windows, which is about the only other non-original mod to the truck. The door panels still have the holes for regulator handles, if I kept it I would probably grab some manual regulators and re-fit them. Windows DO work great though, and it makes ordering a drive-through coffee much easier. Door cards are a bit dirty as well, and the wood on the top of the doors could be refinished to look shiny again.

The early 2-door Range Rovers are very hard to find in the states, and this is a nice one. Having a fresh turbo diesel engine and 5 speed make it a blast to drive too, and arguably better than a 'run of the mill' Classic 2-door. Not that you will find may to compare it to. With some little effort you could restore the interior while you drive it. This could easily become your favorite Land Rover! It has the 4x4 ability of the Rovers, classic good looks, but is much more comfortable and feels safer than a Defender.

I really would not mind keeping this truck, and I believe I believe my asking price of $14000 is very reasonable, and at that price would be a good investment. I do have more Defenders and a Forward Control 101 on the way though, and need to pay for shipping and import fees, so I either need to sell this or my 110 soon. I would give $2500 or so in credit/trade towards a nice clean Range Rover Classic body (does not need to have drivetrain at all, I will be converting to diesel). Speaking of which, I can converting these Land Rovers to tdi diesel power, you can follow some of my build threads, and find more pictures of this Range Rover here : http://laughsandlashings.blogspot.com/

I just filed all import paperwork for the truck this week, and clear Oregon title is on the way, and DOES indicate diesel as its fuel type.

Please message me or call with any questions, I am sure I forgot to mention something or other in the ad; 503-505-7113
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00101.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	67178   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00102.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	67179  

Name:	DSC00104.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	67180   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00106.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	67181  

Name:	DSC00107.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	67182   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00109.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	67183  

Name:	DSC00110.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	67184   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00112.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	67185  

Name:	DSC00025.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	67186   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00113.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	67187  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2013, 10:43 AM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Fc101

More details on the forward control please

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old March 1st, 2013, 10:58 AM
ZombieMotors
Zak Mosieur
1987 Defender 110/300tdi

RE Forward Control 101; low miles (30K), 1973, LHD, very nice body, strong runner, will be about $15K once landed here, will post once arrived at my shop in Portland as I have been told it is in bad taste to post vehicles for sale on this site that are still in Europe or in transit. I do have pictures/ details, if you are interested message or call me, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2013, 06:35 PM
ZombieMotors
Zak Mosieur
1987 Defender 110/300tdi

Back to top w/ new price: $8000

I, unfortunately, need to sell this Classic ASAP. Heck, the 200tdi and installation would cost more than my asking price for the whole truck! I have a clear, Oregon title in hand, and it has proven to be amazingly reliable, fun to drive, and economical. If I did not have to sell it, I wouldn't at this point. I also have a 300tdi engine kit for sale too if anyone needs it as well as several excellent-running low-mileage V8 pull-outs for cheap.

I would love to sell this 2-door Rover this week if possible. Message me or call 503-505-7113, thank you
Old April 22nd, 2013, 11:31 AM
Explorer0863
Tony Q
1957 Series I V8

Registry
Zak,

You mentioned the rust issues above, but I noticed that you didn't include pictures of the under carriage or pictures of the rusted areas, similar to the pics that you posted on ebay. It would be very helpful and fair to potential buyers of this community to see the good and the bad.

GLWS!

Current:
1957 SI 88" 3.9L V8
1999 Disco 2 White Gold

Previous:
1999 Disco 2 Rioja Red
1994 RRC LWB
1991 RRC SWB
1995 RRC SWB
1969 IIA Sta Wgn 109" NADA #798/811
Old April 22nd, 2013, 11:43 AM
ZombieMotors
Zak Mosieur
1987 Defender 110/300tdi

Sorry - I did post pictures of all the rusty areas on my ebay ad, I will add more here too later this morning. The frame has no rust at all, there is the small spot on the body in back only, and I am looking into having it repaired soon if it does not sell this time around as I know it scares potential buyers. I will include more pictures of those areas though - Thanks, Z
Old April 22nd, 2013, 12:33 PM
Explorer0863
Tony Q
1957 Series I V8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieMotors View Post
Sorry - I did post pictures of all the rusty areas on my ebay ad, I will add more here too later this morning. The frame has no rust at all, there is the small spot on the body in back only, and I am looking into having it repaired soon if it does not sell this time around as I know it scares potential buyers. I will include more pictures of those areas though - Thanks, Z
Thanks Zak! I wish I was closer to you...

Current:
1957 SI 88" 3.9L V8
1999 Disco 2 White Gold

Previous:
1999 Disco 2 Rioja Red
1994 RRC LWB
1991 RRC SWB
1995 RRC SWB
1969 IIA Sta Wgn 109" NADA #798/811
Old April 25th, 2013, 06:57 PM
ZombieMotors
Zak Mosieur
1987 Defender 110/300tdi

I just took some pictures of the frame/ chassis for everyone - No rust anywhere, looks like one old repair properly done. ... Any idea how to add images here to the ad - in a reply?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
200tdi, 97, classic, door, range rover, tdi