1973 Series Hybrid for sale - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old May 11th, 2009, 11:00 AM
gordo
Gordon Turner
89RRC

1973 Series Hybrid for sale

Hello I am selling a 1973 Series Hybrid Rover. It is based on a 1989 Range Rover frame,drivetrain. It has a Disco trans and LT230 Tbox. I can be reached at gturner@globaloptions.com or email me through ebay. thanks

The truck is listed on Ebay, located in Bradenton FL. Its one heck of a trail toy. Open to offers around $15,000.

This truck was rebuilt from the frame up and finished in April of 2008. It is a 1973 Series III body mounted on a 1989 Range Rover Classic coil sprung shortened/plated frame. Willow green (color of the 1997 LE Defender), it is a metallic bronze green and hard to capture in photos so Ive included an evening picture as well to show the color in different lights. All time 4wd, 4 wheel disc brakes, power steering, etc. I built this truck as a trail truck but it is very driveable, albeit a bit loud from the Super Swamper tires. Everything works as it should. It features a 3.9 L aluminum rover V8, a 4spd auto from a Discovery and a LT230 transfer case out of a Discovery. Range Rover axles with ARB lockers front and rear. The truck is titled as a 1989 Range Rover, but could easily be titled as a series if you so desire (http://www.its-titles.com/). It does have the vin plate from the series and the chassis is marked to match the vin from the Range Rover. Its not a show truck as the body has some dents that were left in it prior to paint and a few flaws in the paint but it looks very nice. All of the fluids were just changed and this truck needs nothing to hit the trails. I do have it for sale locally so I reserve the right to end this auction at any time. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Specifications:
4200 pounds
Wheelbase is 89.5
D90 hood, breakfast, grill, surrounds, steering column, steering wheel
Willow green paint from a 97 Defender LE, limestone paint on roof
New doors top/bottom
new rubber all around
D90 flares
Nato Rims with 34x10.50 super swampers (in good shape)
Custom 6pt exocage
Custom rocksliders tied into frame and cage.
Custom tire carrier tied into cage
ARB lockers front and rear with stainless lines and ARB switches/compressor
Holley 470 Truck avenger offroad carb
RPI Kickdown linkage
offenhauser manifold
Snorkel with aluminum carb hat
Headman headers with custom exhaust
QT diff guards front and rear
DAP Heavy Duty tie rods
2" spring lift with OME shocks
Scorpion Racing 2" drop shock mounts rear
CB
K30 antenna
Warn 9000 winch on custom bumper
Winch Doubler, tree strap, shackles, ARB work lamp, maglite, fire extinguisher
Racing seats
Older model Lowrance GPS with software, wiring, manual, case, external antenna
CD player
All Gauges in custom aluminum dash
Custom diamond plate interior
Black bench seat in rear with rubber matt flooring (some scratches in the rear tub fenders from offroading )
Extra axles all the way around, stub axle, cv, bearings, etc.

I will be glad to send some short videos of the truck running and driving, but will need your email to do so. Thanks

Here is the listing on Ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...80986&viewitem=
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	serieshybrid.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	402.3 KB
ID:	19389  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
always liked this build...bummer you have to sell it. wish I had endless money and space to hoard all the cool trucks that come up for sale...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo
Hello I am selling a 1973 Series Hybrid Rover. It is based on a 1989 Range Rover frame,drivetrain. It has a Disco trans and LT230 Tbox. I can be reached at gturner@globaloptions.com or email me through ebay. thanks
Old May 11th, 2009, 11:57 AM
gordo
Gordon Turner
89RRC

Thanks Ren. I am bummed about selling it too but with two young kids and a wife that stays home something has got to give. Its just a truck, or at least that is what I keep telling myself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2009, 04:00 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Gordon....

It is a beautiful truck. It looks like there was a lot of expertise in creating it - frame cutting/welding, painting, etc. What is your background that you could do these things?
I'm looking for my son.

Thanks,

Clark
Old May 11th, 2009, 04:45 PM
gordo
Gordon Turner
89RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb
Gordon....

It is a beautiful truck. It looks like there was a lot of expertise in creating it - frame cutting/welding, painting, etc. What is your background that you could do these things?
I'm looking for my son.

Thanks,

Clark
Thanks Clark, I cant take credit for everything. Stephen Peters at Safari Rovers is a close friend of mine and he has experience building hybrids. He helped me with obtaining most of the parts I needed and I spent a few days in his shop studying a hybrid he is currently building. Also, I had help from British 4x4 in Jacksonville with the cage. A close friend of mine did all the painting as well. I did do alot of the fab work myself though. Thankfully my neighbor is an old school hot rod builder and he was there to lend a hand with the chassis shortening, mounting of the outriggers etc. (I was just not comfortable doing this alone) Once we got it all square, I mocked the entire truck up with tack welds and pretty much built the whole truck, before disassembling it and welding/plating and painting. That way I knew everything would work before I committed. Myself, Ive been building cars/trucks as a hobby since I was about 15 and have learned a lot of the last 26 yrs. I started restoring old VWs and switched to rovers about 10 yrs ago. Ive done a couple rovers, but this was the biggest rover restoration Ive done myself. Hope to hear from you soon. Gordo
Old May 11th, 2009, 05:33 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Where did you get the intake plenum? I sold one like that several years ago and have been kicking myself since. I want one for my Edelbrock carb. Do you have any leads for me?
Old May 11th, 2009, 05:39 PM
gordo
Gordon Turner
89RRC

Kelly Pep boys carries them. I think it was around 70 bucks. I then took an old air flow sensor, cut the ends off of it and had it tig welded together. This allowed me to use the factory air filter and a rubber reducer to fit on the end of the plenum/sensor. Pep boys also sells the reducer. Pretty easy to make work. I wanna say the brand was Spectrum but I could be wrong. Gordo
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:20 PM
gordo
Gordon Turner
89RRC

Here are some videos of the truck. Thanks Gordo
Engine running

walkaround

normal driving

low range/diff lock

moving and shaking...pretty much all she has...HECK its fast for a series! LOL.
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:40 PM
jabber
m j

Damn that's a nice truck!! Wish I had the cash.... Looking for a toy like that! Best of luck with the sale!!

Cheers,
Jabber
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:57 PM
gordo
Gordon Turner
89RRC

Thanks Jabber...I appreciate the compliment. It does make me sad to send it off but life happens. Gordo
Old May 15th, 2009, 01:33 AM
cdb
Clark Bowen

Gordon....

Any pictures of the inside of the rear tub?
Dents - approximately how many? Size?
Miles on motor? Doess it burn oil?
Stock diff gears?
Rust? You may have mentioned this.

Still thinking.

Clark

Follow-up Post:

Gordon....

A few more questions:

Does it have a heater?
The radiator is Series, custom or D90?
Gas tank is Series or D90?
Why carb vs. fuel injection?
Is exoskeleton tied into frame like a NAS D90 rollcage?

Thanks,

Clark
Old May 15th, 2009, 06:08 AM
discoinjapan
Michael Bruzga
93 D1/ 94 D90 ST/96 D1

GORDO! Why couldnt you have posted this a month ago!!!!
too late for me now.

Mike
Old May 15th, 2009, 10:49 AM
gordo
Gordon Turner
89RRC

Hi Clark here are the answers to your questions. Mike sorry bout that man, Ive been tiding it up over the last couple months! Gordo

[QUOTE=cdb]Gordon....

Any pictures of the inside of the rear tub? Email me at dianaturner@verizonet and I can email you some.

Dents - approximately how many? Size? Its got several small ones on the body. It isnt perfect, but all of them were painted over...no new dents. I can send photos of them as well. The worst one is probably in the top of the roof back corner. It was pounded out but I didnt put any bondo on it. There is no bondo on the outside of the truck, a bit on the bulkhead to cover some of the welding seams but VERY minimal

Miles on motor? Doess it burn oil? Plenty of miles on it. Runs great though, doesnt smoke at all and doesnt burn oil. It leaks just a tiny bit of oil, but very minimal for a rover

Stock diff gears? Stock gears. I had 4.1s in it but they were noisy and old so I swapped them back to stock to sell it.

Rust? You may have mentioned this. None at all

Still thinking.

Clark

Follow-up Post:

Gordon....

A few more questions:

Does it have a heater? No but it has the hook up for it on the manifold. It isnt needed in FL. A series heater would be easy to install.

The radiator is Series, custom or D90? D90, just had it out and flushed. runs cool

Gas tank is Series or D90? New Series gas tank, that has been modified to fit around the rear trailing arm braket. No gas gauge, but one could be retrofitted Im sure. After the tank was modified it was treated with Por 15.

Why carb vs. fuel injection? Simple is better in the field. Especially when you wheel in water like we do in FL. No other reason but it works well.

Is exoskeleton tied into frame like a NAS D90 rollcage? yes, If you look closely you will see that the front 4 legs bolt to the rocksliders which are tied to the frame. The rear is tied to the rear crossmember. All points are plated with 1/4 steel and all legs are from DOM tubing. The tire carrier is also mounted to the cage.

Email my wifes email if you want any pics. Thanks Gordo
Old May 15th, 2009, 08:49 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen

Thanks Gordo
Old May 15th, 2009, 11:27 PM
gordo
Gordon Turner
89RRC

anytime Clark. Here is a photo of the tub so you can get an idea. I also posted a couple photos that show the small dents most of which are up front passenger side. Really more wavy than dented but this gives you an idea. The Drivers side as a couple very small dents up front and a couple waves in the rear tub. The lower back part of the rear tub had a small new section tig welded in. I used a bit of jbweld to cover the seam but there is still a small wave/dent above that section. these dents were earned in the everglades and I felt it earned them. Gordo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1376.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	19548   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1352.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	19549  

Name:	IMG_1359.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	19552  
Old May 15th, 2009, 11:36 PM
discoinjapan
Michael Bruzga
93 D1/ 94 D90 ST/96 D1

I really like this build! And love the color. Damnit! you got me really thinking............

Mike
Old May 26th, 2009, 04:51 PM
gordo
Gordon Turner
89RRC

Sold locally. Happy to report it is now sitting by a D90LE. Must be nice to have matching rovers! Gordo
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:51 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen

Glad to hear it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
97, series