1960 Land Rover Series IIA for sale $25,900 firm - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old June 22nd, 2014, 12:25 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Anyway the truck looks nicely done from the pictures... but you will find more buyers in the auctions... someone who is looking for a heart string piece. they will love it and buy it.

Here (D-source) its a bit different.. with legal issues preventing a lot of the changes we could do, the amount of crap that comes over from Europe (and there is a lot of good too don't get me wrong), everyone thinking they can sell a POS rusted out defender on ebay with a quick respray for top money, and the like the community is a bit jaded and distant.

Best bet is to land it in the US and head to auction - if the quality is there the buyers will be too.

The FJ market is good, mostly due to TLC and ICON and the buyers waking up to the collectible nature of the FJ.

comparing the markets for FJ's and Defenders/series trucks is tough... esp to an FJ43 (medium wheel base FJ of which there are basically none in the US unlike series LR's which were imported and sold here)

I've had 4 FJ's over the years.. if you have a 45 or 55 in solid but untouched condition let me know.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 22nd, 2014, 03:08 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

"Charlie: " living in Florida.

As in Charlie Mogford of Florida? Ex of BLR etc.

Just wondering about the connection....

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 07:22 AM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

[QUOTE=volcan4x4;539592]Thanks a lot. I guess this forum is a complete waste of time[QUOTE]

Don't we all feel this from time to time?

[QUOTE]I would think that offering interesting Land Rovers would be of interest to some people.[QUOTE]

on a forum for owners of said interesting Land Rovers?

[QUOTE]that is now two posters with very unserious comments.[QUOTE]

Have you not been on this site before????? Unserious comments? Try the OLLR forum, good luck with those guys, makes Defender source look like a bunch of candystripers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 22nd, 2014, 07:38 AM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

If you want to get that kind of money for it, start with this.

Remove and re-gavanize the capings. Ditch the shin buster sidesteps, fix the electrical issues and lose the aftermarket gauges, find the correct tail lamps for it and put a galvanized frame under it. Galvy frame is a big selling point for series trucks and at $25.9k you best be sitting on a really nice example. Drop to $18k and you might see some interest "might". I personally would hold out for an original Series truck, unpainted! A super sorted example with galvy frame, straight panels etc... that I would pay good money for, but no more than mid teens $$ at your price you're entering Defender range.

Don't get mad at these guys picking apart your ad, this is a owners site full of educated, and passionate enthusiasts who can smell it and see through it all day long. This is not a sole classified ads site. You're looking for someone who really doesn't know what to look for, has a wad of cash to burn and at their advance age is looking to be cool again and own a quirky old truck, that their wife won't want to be in and putt around the high rent district in it.

Non of us are the cool guys here! Just glut for punishment types (and that includes getting flamed by some of the other guys here). GLWTS I'll look for it on Ebay.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 08:53 AM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftshopduane View Post
If you want to get that kind of money for it, start with this.

Remove and re-gavanize the capings. Ditch the shin buster sidesteps, fix the electrical issues and lose the aftermarket gauges, find the correct tail lamps for it and put a galvanized frame under it. Galvy frame is a big selling point for series trucks and at $25.9k you best be sitting on a really nice example. Drop to $18k and you might see some interest "might". I personally would hold out for an original Series truck, unpainted! A super sorted example with galvy frame, straight panels etc... that I would pay good money for, but no more than mid teens $$ at your price you're entering Defender range.

Don't get mad at these guys picking apart your ad, this is a owners site full of educated, and passionate enthusiasts who can smell it and see through it all day long. This is not a sole classified ads site. You're looking for someone who really doesn't know what to look for, has a wad of cash to burn and at their advance age is looking to be cool again and own a quirky old truck, that their wife won't want to be in and putt around the high rent district in it.

Non of us are the cool guys here! Just glut for punishment types (and that includes getting flamed by some of the other guys here). GLWTS I'll look for it on Ebay.

This is very, very solid advice.

Old June 22nd, 2014, 09:08 AM
CostaRican
R. Alonso Gutierrez
" None Yet :'( "

Registry
$25,900 firm is crazy for a truck you can buy for 1-5K in good running conditions back home. Care less you ship, not the buyers problem, and the restoration is ok, just not remarkably great at all. These type of sales remind me of those gringos that go to south and central america looking like a modern monopoly guy buying a POS that runs, been used like a moe foe going up and down mountains all it's life caring there families or hauling farm equipment, then taking it from it's natural environment to the states to get a resto then slap a sticker that can pay for a nice small house back from where it came from. GLWS, just I never understood the waist of cash for something that is worth 3K for me, yesterday and still worth 3K to me tomorrow.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 09:54 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
C'mon guys - I WANT HIM TO SELL IT FOR $25K.....please please please....

You D-90 guys shouldn't be the only lucky ones with 100% appreciation
Old June 22nd, 2014, 10:25 AM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
C'mon guys - I WANT HIM TO SELL IT FOR $25K.....please please please....

You D-90 guys shouldn't be the only lucky ones with 100% appreciation
Listen...i applaud these guys driving the market up on series trucks...it will mean all that more to me when I unload mine.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 10:48 AM
tmodler
Charles
oil burner

I mostly post on UNIMOG forums, but I have been looking for a new rover toy, and this one got me...

Here is what you said, with how I read it below each section in red...Not trying to be a jerk, but I think the way you presented it is part of the reason you got the reaction you did....

My name is Charlie I am the owner of Volcan 4x4, LLC. My company specializes in importing restored Toyota Land Cruisers and Nissan Patrols into the US from Colombia. We are starting to bring Land Rover Series into the US and our first Land Rover is this UK built 1960 Series IIA.

I am new to Rovers and may or may not know crap about them. I do know they are generally from the UK.

If I posted something wrong here please advise me as I am new to this forum and want to follow the rules. I plan to bring in restored Spanish built Land Rover Series Santana models soon as the UK built ones are very rare in Colombia. I hope also to import some 110 5 door models but they are relatively rare.

I want to do lots of Rover selling.

Shipping/export costs are higher from Colombia than Europe due to taxes and transport issues so I plan to send highly restored trucks at $25,000 and over and take advantage of the high quality restorations we can do down here at lower cost than the USA.

OK, so what?

This truck is in Colombia now. It will be imported into Tampa, FL very soon.

The truck is not in the USA. But it could be...

This particular truck is a left hand drive 1960 Series IIA. It was imported into Colombia in 1960. I have some importation paperwork/history. I have a thick folder with all the work done on the truck since 1987. The owner spent over $5000 on the mechanical since 2011 including rebuilt motor, steering box, transmission on and on... Truck is very strong mechanically and starts right up. Truck is rust free. Only thing that keeps this from being a 10 of 10 truck is the paint is average about a 6 out 10. Also the galvanized trim was painted over as you can see. The fuel gauge does not work but there are some aftermarket gauges that work.

The truck was in pretty rough shape, and has now been worked on by people who did not necessarily know rovers and needs to be gone through completely to correct all the little things they may have monkeyed with.

Truck has...

New interior within 3 years
New top within 3 years
Rebuilt motor and all mechanical within 3 years
Brand new 7.50 x 16 Pirelli military tires
Original rims were sanded and painted with anticorrosion paint and then Limestone color
4 brand new Gabriel brand shocks
New exhaust to be installed
New lap belt seatbelts to be installed
Lucas headlights
Rear floor has scratches but is rust free. Will be painted.

The truck has some stuff, but I am going to do some stuff if you buy it. I promise.

A signed deposit letter at the agreed price and a $10,000 refundable deposit made to Volcan 4x4, LLC registered in Florida will hold the truck. You can fly to Tampa and see the truck. If you do not like the truck we will return the deposit.

Please send the check to my Nigerian Uncle.

We have imported 3 trucks so far and sold them for between $30,000 and $54,000 and are focusing on quality. We have 6 trucks inbound to Florida now mostly FJ40s and FJ43 Toyotas.

We might know how to do the import paperwork right the first time.

This is a great truck. We named him Alfred or Alfie for short. You can see more photos and videos on my facebook account "volcan 4x4" and on my website volcan4x4.com.

Why did you name a truck you are selling? Some people hate that.

This truck has not be listed for sale publicly yet. I wanted to start here.

How does this not constitute being for sale publicly?

Long post. Thanks Charlie

Again, not trying to be an a$$, just giving you some feedback as to how the ad reads to someone who is looking for a "new" rover to play with.

Best.

Charles
Old June 22nd, 2014, 11:11 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Also, a Santana is NOT a Land Rover, it's a Santana. Very similar as they were building Land Rover clones under license, but they are a whole different company. They do not command anywhere near the value as a similar Land Rover made on Lode Lane. I don't think anyone on this board is particularly interested in owning one. I'd even go so far as to say that you will make very little profit selling them here in the USA once you figure the import costs and paperwork. Certainly over 25K is absolutely out of the question. More like 5-10 max for a super clean one.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old June 22nd, 2014, 11:40 AM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
What Bill said

A clone AC Ace yes

A clone Land Rover NO

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old June 22nd, 2014, 01:09 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Guys, although I don't disagree that this price is too high (as much as some would like them to sell at this price), and most of the comments are constructive, this is a for sale thread and you are crapping on it. The buyer is right that the market will decide, and silence on the for sale thread should be as powerful as the shitting.

So please do this - if you feel strongly enough to want to comment on it, start a news thread in the chit chat (or even the pit) and link back to this for reference. You can then go at it all you want.

But please stop crapping on for sale threads per the forum rules.
Old July 13th, 2014, 02:22 PM
volcan4x4
Charlie Guy
1960 Land Rover Series IIA

Truck is a Series II per chassis numbers not IIA. Sorry.

Truck is SOLD under deposit for $23900 to Florida buyer. Arrives August. I would think Land Rover enthusiasts would appreciate having more sources for left hand drive classic Land Rovers not less.

I have leads on a 1956 Series II in grey and a 1962 Series IIA in light blue in similar or better condition for similar pricing.

Also some very nice frame off restored gasoline Santana 88s from the 1970s to early 1980s. Probably $25,000 to $30,000. Thanks.
Old July 14th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Landerley
Larry
1969 Land Rover IIA Dormobile

Registry
You guys claiming that $25k for a restored Series Land Rovers in good running condition is asking an unfair or unrealistic price should put your equivalent Series Land Rovers up for sale at a lower price. If it doesn't sell you prove your point if it does sell then you can kick yourself in 5 years wondering why you undersold a great vehicle. Best of luck with future sales volcan4x4.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 09:19 PM
REDrum
Niall Johnson
1970 Series IIA 88 - Sandstone

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcan4x4 View Post
Tough crowd indeed.
Yes, and for good reasons.

1) As an very active member of both the vintage Land Rover and Land Cruiser community your over inflated expectations and prices are not welcome. You think you are doing something good for the communities but you are not.

2) Well restored Series and FJs can be had all over Central America for approximately 1/3 of your asking prices. Shipping to, and customs clearance thru, Florida is no more than $4K (and that would include CBP CES hold and intrusive inspection).

Sure you are entitled to profit from your import venture, but please don't suddenly arrive and try gouge the community, thats just crass...

'99 UZJ 100 - for glamping and grocery getting
'94 FZJ80 - our Costa Rican coffee mule
'96 FZJ80 - 3XL, racked, shaved and dipped in Raptor coat
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - a Costa Rican expat now with US citizenship!
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - for Central America surf & coffee exploration
'56 Petrol S1 86 - a whole new kind of land rover hell...
Old July 25th, 2014, 12:09 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcan4x4 View Post
Thanks a lot. I guess this forum is a complete waste of time. I would think that offering interesting Land Rovers would be of interest to some people. If nothing else for the photos of different models to enthusiasts. I don't mind a discussion of market prices but that is now two posters with very unserious comments.
It is just that nice driver SII 88s go for around US$8-9K in the US. The truck does not have a heater which is minus in the US. The vehicle is not original & the second key switch indicates that there may be patched electrical issues.

And the first thing that any Series Land Rover enthusiast would do is spend a week or more scraping all the paint off the galvanized surfaces. The galvanized railing, windscreen frame, bumper, rear lift handles & such are supposed to be left bare.

You might get 25K if the vehicle was 100% stock & show room pristine. Assuming you advertised in places where $25K is just pocket change.

But from the pictures you appear to have a nice $8-9000 truck once you get the paint off the galvanized surfaces.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 25th, 2014, 12:10 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The 1956 series II? Is it a 56 series I?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
90, for sale, land rover, series