Should I join the club?! NC - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old January 14th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I would say you really, really need to educate yourself before you join the club, i.e. what is actually involved in keeping a 25+ year old English vehicle running on a daily basis and being happy working on and driving it.

You didn't mention what your "style" is but if you picture your self driving around with the top off and the wind in your hair also picture yourself underneath it on your back with oil dripping down on your forehead, bloody knuckles and cursing while turning a wrench on it.
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2016, 10:36 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Let me rephrase. Most hard tops I stumble upon have skylights. This one does not. Is this a trim level feature?

On a non NAS truck, it's just an a la carte accessory. It costs money to put it in, so most people don't bother.

Ok. How is this engine on longevity. I know it's a turd.

It depends. When new it lasts a long time. When abused, it doesn't last long. The one thing you want to check is blow-by. Check the amount of blow-by coming out of the valve cover. If there's a lot, then you have a problem. I wouldn't call it a turd. It is what it is. It's a small 4 cylinder with not a lot of hp.

Few bolts and helping hands like removing a jeep/4runner hard top?

Yeah, it's easy then. As long as there's no headliner.

Sorry if I like to listen to some tunes while cruisin' along. Guess that's a no.

You should buy a cell phone and some earbuds

Still the 84 has leafs and the 86 has coils correct?

No. All 90/110/Defenders have coils, regardless of year.
Old January 14th, 2016, 10:43 AM
krrunon1
Kyle
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
I would say you really, really need to educate yourself before you join the club, i.e. what is actually involved in keeping a 25+ year old English vehicle running on a daily basis and being happy working on and driving it.

You didn't mention what your "style" is but if you picture your self driving around with the top off and the wind in your hair also picture yourself underneath it on your back with oil dripping down on your forehead, bloody knuckles and cursing while turning a wrench on it.
I hear what your saying. Thank you. I'm working on educating my self, hence all the questions. I've bee on the forums for 2 days now just reading also. The English vehicle part is what 'm trying to learn. My neighbor is into MGs. I know cars in general. I worked in a garage though college. I'm not afraid to get my dirty and bust knuckles. I have scars from the jeep and she's still my baby. It's more stressful when the vehicle has to run Monday morning. This one wont have to. I know jeeps inside and out. What they don't tell you about the "It's a jeep thing ..." is the "replace everything!" part haha.

With the "style" statement. I was referring to the wheels. I simply don't like them and don't BELIEVE they are original to the vehicle. I would be shooting to keep it as original as possible. And I like the semi gloss blue color with the black grill and headlight bezels vs the high gloss all 1 color thing.

I do want to thank you all for your time so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2016, 12:26 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yes the windows were a trim option.
The 2.5 is known for its longevity.
All of my trucks have had tunes.
No one can give you advice without looking @ the truck. That said, what jumped out @ me just looking was that the shops original ad said they recommended replacing the clutch and the current ad doesn't address that.
I'd delve deeper and question seller on that.

------ Follow up post added January 14th, 2016 12:29 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
picture yourself underneath it on your back with oil dripping down on your forehead, bloody knuckles and cursing while turning a wrench on it.
You just drive yours to Virginia and drink beer while someone else has that fun

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 14th, 2016, 12:36 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by krrunon1 View Post
I hear what your saying. Thank you. I'm working on educating my self, hence all the questions. I've bee on the forums for 2 days now just reading also. The English vehicle part is what 'm trying to learn. My neighbor is into MGs. I know cars in general. I worked in a garage though college. I'm not afraid to get my dirty and bust knuckles. I have scars from the jeep and she's still my baby. It's more stressful when the vehicle has to run Monday morning. This one wont have to. I know jeeps inside and out. What they don't tell you about the "It's a jeep thing ..." is the "replace everything!" part haha. With the "style" statement. I was referring to the wheels. I simply don't like them and don't BELIEVE they are original to the vehicle. I would be shooting to keep it as original as possible. And I like the semi gloss blue color with the black grill and headlight bezels vs the high gloss all 1 color thing. I do want to thank you all for your time so far.
Sounds like this would not be a daily driver for you? That is the way to go especially for a first time owner. When my Defender was/is operating correctly I drive it daily but...getting it operating correctly sometimes takes some time.

I have never owned a Jeep CJ/YJ/LJ/JK but have driven them and compared to a well sorted Defender I feel stock to stock a Defender has such a better more solid feel both in how it drives and the ergonomics. A 90/110 should do better off road as well save for a locked JK Rubi.

I agree the 2.5NA isn't a turd. Like sonoronos said it is what it is. It is smoky and slow and loud but they seem to consistently operate. For a light 90 it might not be a horrible option (and you can always swap power down the road). And no need to get a stereo as you won't hear it anyway, haha. The Rover diesel makes a nice sound which helps.

Mechanically LR Defenders have some weird things but once you learn them you can see why they did it. They are like erector sets and can swap parts from many different years and configurations - I would guess much more so than a Jeep. Sounds like you aren't new to wrenching and getting dirty so you would be a great owner for one!
Old January 14th, 2016, 06:16 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post

------ Follow up post added January 14th, 2016 12:29 PM ------

You just drive yours to Virginia and drink beer while someone else has that fun
Whaaaaaaat!?! Don't know what you are talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1766.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	139444  
Old January 14th, 2016, 06:22 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Doug, you should have ridden Harleys somewhere along the line- would have learned to wear black instead of white!! 90wt doesn't even show...

Old January 14th, 2016, 06:52 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
Doug, you should have ridden Harleys somewhere along the line- would have learned to wear black instead of white!! 90wt doesn't even show...
Dale I did.
Anywhere I don't have freckles is old road rash scars.
Anytime I have to work on Raub's rig, I just throw away the clothes after.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old January 14th, 2016, 08:57 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
A. Notice Uncle Doug standing, feet on the ground bent over the fender, able to reach down to the engine mounts. Only Shaquille O'Neil can do that!

B. The only thing I sorta, kinda miss about the 2.5na is the fact that they drip, spew, shit and blow so much oil out that my chassis stayed completely oiled and corrosion resistant at all times.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.