Newbie to D-90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old March 16th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Suppatime
Drew Suppa
None (yet)

Newbie to D-90

Hello all... Drew here from Los Angeles, CA.

I currently own a 2000 Nissan Pathfinder LE that has served me well, but between work in the film industry and my frequenting of camping and off-roading, I figured it about time to step into a real utility vehicle that I would probably end up having for the next 20 years.

I've located a RHD 1984 Defender turbo diesel and look forward to sharing it with you when I finally get it.

In the mean time, (and yes, I probably should have searched more before introducing myself), what are the main things I should be looking for when purchasing a used Defender? I know it already has to be states-side for me to register in CA, but as far as chassis condition and engine condition... any help or links to other posts are greatly appreciated!

I'm aware only vehicles 25 years or older can be imported... hence looking at 83-85... and diesel is the way to go for me. Timing chain and longevity are big draws there.

I'm simply babbling, so hello, and I hope to be up to speed here soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 16th, 2010, 08:44 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Welcome Drew!

Check for Rust ... probably not very common in LA but exceedingly common on a UK vehicle that is 25 ears old!
Old March 16th, 2010, 08:54 AM
jetmech
Dave McHenry
1984 Landrover 90 CSW

Drew welcome,

Look for a 200 or 300 TDI. Make sure the bulkhead is sound.

Jetmech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 16th, 2010, 12:55 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Would love to see your truck when you get it. Join us for the LA happy hour that we've just started up.

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old March 16th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Suppatime
Drew Suppa
None (yet)

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I've found a UK vehicle through a private seller in NC named Chuck; it's an '84 200TDi and supposedly the motor was rebuilt in the past 5 years... although there's no paperwork to prove it.

Paint looks good, body is straight. There's some door rot and some surface rust on the undercarriage, bu he's throwing in some 33" tires on new rims and rock sliders. It's a 5-speed, and although excited, I'm terrified of travelling to North Carolina and realizing it might not be in as good of shape as I had hoped.

I need a strong daily driver, but plan on making this a project for years to come.

I don't know I anyone is familiar with this seller or lives close by in North Carolina, but I'm just trying to cover my bases. I'll link pictures to the truck in a moment.

Edit: horray for the iPhone; misspelling strong leads to stroganoff.
Old March 16th, 2010, 03:04 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suppatime View Post
It's a 5-speed, and although excited, I'm terrified of travelling to North Carolina and realizing it might not be in as good of shape as I had hoped.
Have you talked to Doug (Maryland110) yet? You might want to touch base with him, hes a board member here and imports Defenders regularly. Here is a link to his web site...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 16th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Suppatime
Drew Suppa
None (yet)

This is the gal I've found...

http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/m...%20grey%20CSW/

Questions/comments/concerns are welcome and desired!

LRNAD90, I'll check him out; thanks for the heads-up!

------ Follow up post added March 16th, 2010 12:12 PM ------

Doug seems to deal strictly with 110s... is that true?

They're a bit out of my budget, and I'm slowly getting hooked on the 90s. Either way, I'll shoot him an email... looks like another great resource at the least.
Old March 16th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Used to be a green truck, I see. You can always find new doors to solve the rust problem.
Can't see the frame that well, some surface rust for sure.
I would fly there and look at it. I had to do that once prior to finding my 90. The first trip to Miami proved that it is good to be a wary buyer.
I found one months later that was just what I was looking for! Good luck.
Old March 16th, 2010, 03:28 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
it's a strange US nuance to favor the 110 over 90's ... they then command a premium ... and make it more attractive to import. I don't know Doug but suspect he'd be more than happy to help you source and import a 90.

Pretty much every Defender is going to have more faults than you thought ... however this is part of what makes them what they are. Every part is available and D-90 is full of exceedingly knowledgeable and helpful people ...

Make sure you have some contingency funds as likely you'll need to fix a few things in the first few weeks ... I needed Radiator and fuel pump!
Old March 16th, 2010, 03:33 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

doug will bring in anything you want and has some excellent conection all over europe.

he is the go to guy for importing defenders

get some close ups of the rear cross member, bulkhead and door bottoms.

looks like it has 3 different collors on it.
Old March 16th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Suppatime
Drew Suppa
None (yet)

Truck was originally green it seems... The black/grey insidemight have been a cheap fix to something. Back seats are coming out, bed will be sanded, sealed and Rhino-lined.

Biggest concerns to drive it everyday are strong motor and tranny, good suspension and a straight body. From there, I'll work with it when I have more money.

This may or may not be my truck--we'll see-- but it is within my price range for now and a decent project IMO.
Old March 16th, 2010, 03:56 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suppatime View Post
Truck was originally green it seems... The black/grey insidemight have been a cheap fix to something. Back seats are coming out, bed will be sanded, sealed and Rhino-lined.

Biggest concerns to drive it everyday are strong motor and tranny, good suspension and a straight body. From there, I'll work with it when I have more money.

This may or may not be my truck--we'll see-- but it is within my price range for now and a decent project IMO.
I think the seller of the truck you're looking at is also on this board as well. I'll let him speak up if he's here. PM me and I can give you some details.

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old March 16th, 2010, 04:08 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
from the photo's it's had a rear x-member with extensions at some point ( that's a good thing!)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Tags
90, d-90