Newbie Intro. Bought a 94 D90 NAS #772 Arles Blue - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old July 10th, 2012, 12:40 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrimmon View Post
Looking at the date of that CL post, and looking at the Carfax, I think you are right. He just overestimated. I've done it as well. Carfax shows it going on the dealer's lot for sale as of 6/8/12 with 71,557. I bought it on 6/21/12 with 71,558 before test drive. Test drives, two, put about 50 miles on it.

It's mine now and it's not going away.

Tom
The best thing about your truck is that it moved away before seeing its first salty Pennsylvania winter! Congrats and have a lot of fun w/ it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2012, 04:03 PM
rockrimmon
Tom Vervaeke
1994 D90 ST #772 Arles Blue

Registry
Spoke to Owner #3

From the phone number in that old March, 2011 CL ad I was able to leave a message for the previous owner. He is Owner #3. I am #4. He knows #2 personally. He seemed like a very nice guy. Said it took him 3 years to sell it.

Not that anyone but me cares... but I'll post some of the info here if nothing else other than to remind me, or the next owner, what I found.

Previous owner is Dave. He lives in Colorado Springs and owned the car for 11+ years. Dave is now 61 and is a retired mail man. He never did any real off-roading with it. Bought it in December, 2000 with 38,700 miles on it. He bought it directly from Owner #2. I did not ask nor did he say what he paid for it. He sold the car directly to Heuberger Motors for $25K. He gave me the name of the person but that's not important. He sold it directly to the dealer. So if the dealer's son owned it or something like that, it is not recorded in the Carfax. Likely the dealer owned the car and used a dealer plate for a bit. Or, they just bought it, drove it a bit, and then put it on the lot for $38,888 with an "Internet Price" of $34,988. The whole story that one of the Heuberger family owned it may not even be true. Doesn't matter. Dave was a good guy and took good care of the vehicle for the time he had it.

Dave said it lived on his carport and under a cover at all time. I got the cover and it's very nice. It comes with another biking top and some other recovery pieces.

Other facts:

1. When Dave bough it in 2000 it had already been lifted and had the OME springs and shocks. He was unaware that it was lifted. I think it is. Pikes Peak Rovers says 2". I measure 10" under the center of the diff meaning I only see a 1" increase over the stock 9". Meaning the shock and springs are at least 12 years old and have been on since 38,700 miles. Factoid for me. Not sure if they would need to be freshened, either the shocks or springs or both.

2. Dave didn't know that the anti-sways were removed and has no idea. Said he just putzed around in it and he had no issues. He did drive it as far as Ohio and once for a family emergency and said it did fine.

3. The tires were all replaced in Mid-2010 and have < 1000 miles on them. Hancook and he spent about $1K for all 5. Said he liked them. Good news.

4. There was an issue with the clutch slave cylinder leaking around 2002 or 2003 and he had the slave cylinder and clutch replaced. Said clutch was contaminated and needed to be replaced. Looking at the CarFax that would put the mileage at around 55,000. That's good news.

5. Head gaskets: Right after he bought it in he had an overheating problem. Took it to the Colorado Springs Land Rover dealer and had both head gaskets replaced at 38,700 miles. He learned then that the car had previously had it done at that shop by the 2nd owner. He never had another issue with it in the 11 years he owned it. Is that normal to have it done twice? Possible bad news.

6. Battery: Less than 1 year old. Replaced mid 2011.

7. Ignition switch: He said the dealer broke the switch just as he was selling it to them. But he forked out $600 to get it replaced at the Land Rover dealer itself. He was not happy about this. Does this sound right? $600?

8. Brakes: He had the brake rotors and pads replaced in 2010. Was done at the local Land Rover dealer. Cost was about $1K. Less than 1000 miles ago. Good data.

9. Check engine light. He said in the 11 years he owned it he thinks the light was on for about 8 of those years. He'd have it checked out, the dealer would clear it, and it would come back. I asked him if he ever got a readout of the code showng what the fault was he said no. He said sometime it would just go out for weeks and then come back. Said the car ran the same no matter what. I find that interesting. After owning a Porsche 911 and now a BMW M3, I generally get a code read if it shows an error. Said he did have one oxygen sensor replaced at one time at Pikes Peak Rover but that was it.

He also told me there are no NAS 1996 D90's. Is that true? I never knew that.

So, learned a lot. No real bad news in there other than the head gaskets have been done (at least) twice, and the check engine light works well. The newer clutch, clutch slave, and some of the other info was good news.

Dave had has another 1994 Hardtop D90 but sold it and then got this one. No idea why. He no longer owns any Land Rovers.

Question: If I go to the local Land Rover dealer with my VIN, do you think they will give me a printout of all services done to the vehicle?

Next step: Find Owner #2. I might be able to buy Dave a beer and get that info....

Thanks,

Tom
Old July 10th, 2012, 05:47 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I had a friend here on the d90.com get me all the information on the work done to my defender while under warranty, it was extensive.
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2012, 06:12 PM
rockrimmon
Tom Vervaeke

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
I had a friend here on the d90.com get me all the information on the work done to my defender while under warranty, it was extensive.
If anyone here with access to the dealer network would PM me I'd appreciate it. I have the VIN.

Tom
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:20 AM
rockrimmon
Tom Vervaeke

Registry
First Service - Good Results

Took my 94 down to Pikes Peak Rovers (Colorado Springs) for a good first service. I wanted them to check it over well, do a 90K service (their term) and replace a few things.

Items done were:

1. Engine oil and filter.
2. Fluids in Trans, T-Case, F & R Diffs changed.
3. Radiator coolant flushed and refilled.
4. Brakes bled and refilled with fresh fluid.
5 Spark plugs.
6. General tuneup and checkover.
7. Didn't need belts or plug wires so those stayed.
8. Replaced the oil lines for me that I bought from Trailhead 4x4.
9. Replaced the gas tank slid plate with a nice thick one. I need to look at the receipt to see who made it but Chris got the one for me he likes.
10. Sourced and installed front and rear sway bars, links, and new bushings. I know these are not needed by some here but I wanted them for what I do with my rig so I had them installed. If at some point I no longer want them I can remove and put in my stash of spare parts.

A few pics under the rig in case there is interest. Mostly the skid, anti-sways, and the new oil lines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG0461-X2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	54186   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG0462-L.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	54187  

Name:	IMG0463-L.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	54188   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG0465-L.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	54189  

Name:	IMG0470-L.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	54190   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG0467-L.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	54191  

Name:	IMG0475-L.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	54192   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG0476-L.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	54193  

Name:	IMG0477-L.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	54194   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG0479-L.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	54195  

Old July 13th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Nice! the good thing is you most likley have lost 10 lbs since buying your D90 and can no longer afford food. I dont have that view under mine, too much armor (thank god). and a sway bar in the rear! who has that. check out Wolf's sway bar thats what you need.
Old August 7th, 2012, 08:58 PM
mr.anderson
Michael Anderson
none

still for sale? would like to take a closer look at it.

thanks -

michael
Old August 7th, 2012, 10:45 PM
rockrimmon
Tom Vervaeke

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.anderson View Post
still for sale? would like to take a closer look at it.

thanks -

michael
Michael:

Yes. I live in Colorado. Where are you? Email me if you'd like to discuss further.

T.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Tags
90, arles blue, d90, ht, nas