Newbie Intro. Bought a 94 D90 NAS #772 Arles Blue - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old June 28th, 2012, 08:51 AM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

oil lines

(old post) : lines performing as new...

’95 D-90: Just replacing mine...cost $39. Took out the lines and had local shop Power Product tech repair. Cut off original hose at the metal/rubber point; used 1/2" high pressure heat resistant rubber hose; installed over the rubber hose is a Silco Blue Pyrotex jacket (heat/flame cover to 500 deg); 1 1/4" JR band crimped clamps…no doubt, much better hose than stock and will not fail due to the manifold heat, even direct contact. High-pressure hose is not needed (65-psi normal oil pressure), however, high temp hose had the benefit of being both. The reason for using the ½” hose is that he could utilize the original crimp in the rigid hose for added security from being pulled apart once clamped. If I were to do it again, I would probably have cut the ridged metal ends off, flared the pipe, so that a smaller hose could be fitted…finished hoses are about ¾” thick but look great, if not too bright/blue. To me, braided lines have little, if any, benefit as the internal hose is not high temp nor does the braided jacket disperse much heat. The various kits being sold have the advantage of relocating the lines farther from the manifold. I will follow up with pictures and review on how well I was able to relocate them farther away from the manifold.

------ Follow up post added June 28th, 2012 06:55 AM ------

http://www.solihullsociety.org/

Also look into joining the Solihull society...lots of local owners...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2012, 09:10 AM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

-missed that you already ordered lines...
-suggest driving/comparing other D-90's with/without sway bars...not much difference. I have a SG 3-link; very predictable once you get familiar with the 90.
-might want to check out other local D-90's before changing yours...lots of suspension options, some work better than others;

-stay safe...we are all watching the fires...we live in Lookout Mtn.
Old June 28th, 2012, 09:31 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
WOW, that is GENIUS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2012, 09:38 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
WOW, that is GENIUS!!
I agree! To hell with a X-brake group buy, we should get a round of these instead!
Old June 28th, 2012, 10:28 AM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
Got it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
No no....don't order the same stock setup for the oil cooler lines - those are known to fail anyhow. Plus I wouldn't trust "new old stock" or similar, which have been sitting around degrading.

Either order the upgraded lines from Trailhead4x4 or take yours off and have them rebuilt (I had mine rebuilt at a place called Tipco, but any line shop can do it).

Yes, I will order it from them.
Old June 28th, 2012, 07:43 PM
rockrimmon
Tom Vervaeke
1994 D90 ST #772 Arles Blue

Registry
Badget Top

Had a conversation with that nice guy Chris from Badger Interior Coachworks (what a fancy name..) the other day. I learned a lot even though I had spent a lot of time on the their web site and searching threads here. With Chris's help, I placed an order for a Badger II GK top and accessories. It should arrive just about the time it starts snowing here in the mountains of Colorado. Well, maybe not that bad but close.

My current Bestop is falling apart and if I am to use this vehicle in the winter I'd like to close the 1"+ gap between my doors and the sides (at a minimum). Chris was very helpful in what parts were really necessary. Because my original Tickford top was long gone I already had the belt rail kit and some of the other items in place. In the next month or so I'll do a thorough check to ensure I have all of the other parts I need.

My thoughts on the Badger II versus the I is that for my personal use in the mountains of Colorado, with a load of wet dogs in the back, the roll up side windows will work a lot better for me. Else I'd likely leave my windows at home and then need them. Besides the function of the II, I like the look as well. Going with all black. I'd love to blast around everywhere with the windows up and use my D90 for alfresco driving but have the windows when the typical afternoon thunderstorm dumps on us. I just need to learn how to treat the window portions so they don't get damaged when up all day or week.

And Chris said I can change my mind up until the begin the build. Because I am famous for doing just that.

Because of the cost, I hope this top last 10+ years or more. That's a LOT of money for a top. It's still cheaper than a good top for an M3 though.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D90 Ripped Bestop.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	53644  
Old June 28th, 2012, 07:55 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Just about the only thing you will not like about the Badger top is the wait. haha. Everything else is top notch. I forget how old my Badger I is now, but it's getting up there, and is still in perfect condition. I have the gutter kit as well and I think it's great - it needs a little tweaking at this point in its life though - doesn't seal up behind the windows as well it did when I first started using it. It's an easy fix though - just have two velcro straps sewn in horizontally to go through the vertical portion of the GK to pull it forward as tight as possible, and then velcro'd back to stay put. He should actually have that as part of his design, but he doesn't.
Old June 28th, 2012, 08:06 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
You may even be able to have him add them since he has all the correct material and thread to match it all perfectly. Here's what I'm talking about with the gutter kit Velcro straps since I'm a better picture taker than I am an author.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1928907424.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	431.9 KB
ID:	53645   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1654173363.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	444.8 KB
ID:	53646  

Name:	image-2447859092.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	530.5 KB
ID:	53647   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2217340598.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	53648  

Name:	image-1492551815.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	508.4 KB
ID:	53649  
Old June 29th, 2012, 08:17 AM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

Badger II...I too hand sewed Velcro straps in the same location. Really helps keep the rear windows tight. Gutter kit x 2! Much quieter, better fit. I had a sunroof installed as well. Nice to have except on hot days…I have a cargo net stretched between the gutter kit which allows me to shade as needed. Many years of service…have had to replace one window and the sunroof as they cracked, $200. Only other issue is the tailgate bar no longer stretches enough to stay locked into the brackets. I use a Bimini on trail which also snaps into the gutter kit…takes less than 5 minutes to remove or replace.
Old June 29th, 2012, 08:34 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Will your truck be principally garaged? Think twice about going with the GK. A correctly fitting Badger top, without the GK, seals great around the windows. The real bonus is driving with the top off or windows out and not having that chunk of metal around the window frame.
Old July 10th, 2012, 10:43 AM
rockrimmon
Tom Vervaeke

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Will your truck be principally garaged? Think twice about going with the GK. A correctly fitting Badger top, without the GK, seals great around the windows. The real bonus is driving with the top off or windows out and not having that chunk of metal around the window frame.
The truck will be garaged mainly but the roof will not entirely be removed. I also will not remove the windows. I will however roll up the side and rear windows. I need this rig to be more water/air tight for winter. I can always change my mind right up until they start building my top (per Chris).

Tom

------ Follow up post added July 10th, 2012 08:45 AM ------

I saw a D90 recently with the Puma hood (I think it was a Puma). Trying to figure out why people would swap? The rig I saw it on personally had a petrol engine and no supercharger. So, besides the aesthetics why the need for the big bulge? Is there some benefit to the engine or cooling?

My D90 is at Pikes Peak Rovers for a few days getting some basic service and the anti-sway bars put back on. It is very nice to have a local shop to use that is 6 miles away.

Tom
Old July 10th, 2012, 11:09 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Badgers should last 15 years. There was one from 96 that looked to still be servicable for sale recently.
Old July 10th, 2012, 11:16 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Mostly aesthetics on the Puma hood. I like the buldge. Was the NAS truck you saw with it a green soft top?
Old July 10th, 2012, 11:32 AM
apierce
Adam Pierce
'95 D90 ST #2395

I tried to buy this truck from the guy who sold it to the dealer you must have bought it from. Had Pikes Peak inspect it and was a very clean truck. PM me your email address and i can send you the pics i have and compare notes. Congrats!
Old July 10th, 2012, 11:50 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by apierce View Post
I tried to buy this truck from the guy who sold it to the dealer you must have bought it from. Had Pikes Peak inspect it and was a very clean truck. PM me your email address and i can send you the pics i have and compare notes. Congrats!
I THOUGHT this truck looked familiar! I had searched a bit a few weeks back when this thread first popped up thinking I had seen it before but had no luck finding it.

Here it was when I first saw it.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=30126
Old July 10th, 2012, 11:53 AM
rockrimmon
Tom Vervaeke

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by apierce View Post
Wow. The story I have is that one person owned it for 10+ years (per the Carfax). This guy (likely the guy you dealt with) then sold it to the next door neighbor who is a family member (I heard son, but not sure) of the owner of Heuberger Motors here in Colorado Springs. This person apparently (again, 3rd hand) got it for his wife to drive who didn't like it (big surprise). He then sold it within 6 months, I think, through the dealership itself. Heuberger Motors is the highest volume Subaru dealer in the US but didn't know much about the D90. So not sure if the car was on "consignment" or if the dealership actually bought it. I'll know when the title paperwork comes. Doesn't matter to me.

I''ll PM you my email and phone as I'd love to get the real story here. I'd even be glad to call you to discuss. Would like to know who you worked with at Pikes Peak (Chris?) and any details you have.

Here's a shot of the dash. The dealer put two of these removable labels here to make sure that potential buyers/salesmen turned the key the correct way. I left them in place just to give me a laugh.

Thanks,

Tom
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CA07011212271411-L.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	54029  
Old July 10th, 2012, 12:00 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrimmon View Post
He then sold it within 6 months, I think, through the dealership itself. Heuberger Motors is the highest volume Subaru dealer in the US but didn't know much about the D90.
Well they knew enough to list it for $10k more than it was last sold for. haha.
Old July 10th, 2012, 12:07 PM
rockrimmon
Tom Vervaeke

Registry
Looks like mine

Rijosho:

It sure looks like mine. I am going to post the details here from the link in the other thread just so I can keep this a running thread. Not sure if I need to ask to have this moved to a Build area as I move forward or if it's okay to stay here in this area.

I actually called the phone number and after about 20 rings got a machine and I left a message for a guy named Dave. No idea if that is the PO or what. I AM one of those people (especially with old motorcycles) who likes to build up the history and keep a log book of what was done and what I did and then pass it to the next person. My wife calls me "The VIN Archeologist".

It had 71,558 miles on it when I bought it. Seller says 73K. So perhaps not the same car or something funny going on. Everything else, including the pics, looks like mine: No A/C, no rear seats, etc.. The CL link is long gone.

---------------

Blue:

LAND ROVER DEFENDER 90 - $26000 (Colo Spgs)

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2245020929.html

1994 Defender 90 soft top
73k miles
5-speed
2- soft tops
sorry, no a/c
fresh brakes and tires
very clean
serious inquiries
$26k firm
719-930-5790
Old July 10th, 2012, 12:25 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
I never look at my odometer - when I had to re-register it in NY in March I guesstimated the mileage and was surprised when I got back to my car that I was off by 2-3k on the high side. Chances are the PO of your truck assumed it'd take longer to sell and was using it to drive around daily and just estimated the miles on the high end to cover himself. If I was going to do something funny like turn the miles back it'd be for far more than 2k.
Old July 10th, 2012, 12:34 PM
rockrimmon
Tom Vervaeke

Registry
Looking at the date of that CL post, and looking at the Carfax, I think you are right. He just overestimated. I've done it as well. Carfax shows it going on the dealer's lot for sale as of 6/8/12 with 71,557. I bought it on 6/21/12 with 71,558 before test drive. Test drives, two, put about 50 miles on it.

It's mine now and it's not going away.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	car-fax-3-X3.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	564.8 KB
ID:	54044  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Tags
90, arles blue, d90, ht, nas