Newbie Intro. Bought a 94 D90 NAS #772 Arles Blue - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old June 25th, 2012, 11:28 AM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Well if lines aren't at the top of your list then a fire extinguisher should be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 25th, 2012, 11:39 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I thought you were talking about running on bald tires.

-Jeff
You mean basically new tires except for one tire with a receeding hair line.
Old June 25th, 2012, 02:13 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You can also pull the lines and remove the plate where the lines go in and refit the filter without the lines at all.

I did this in my 1994 as the lines did not work well with the AC set up I had.

Sway bars, you will hear mixed thoughts, but I think they are a necessity for safe road driving. No big deal to fit them and you can find used ones for little money.

Welcome!
Advertisement

Old June 25th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcampbel@nas.edu View Post
Well if lines aren't at the top of your list then a fire extinguisher should be.
That's good D90 humor!
Old June 26th, 2012, 03:37 PM
rockrimmon
Tom Vervaeke
1994 D90 ST #772 Arles Blue

Registry
Oil Lines

Ordered a set of oil lines from Eric at Trailhead4x4.com.

Tom

PS: I'm still going to mount a fire extinguisher as something else is likely to need it eventually.
Old June 26th, 2012, 03:48 PM
rockrimmon
Tom Vervaeke

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post

Sway bars, you will hear mixed thoughts, but I think they are a necessity for safe road driving. No big deal to fit them and you can find used ones for little money.
Evil:

Where I live and drive we have a lot of big animals in the road: deer, elk, bear, antelope. I don't want to tip over when running 65 mph on a back road coming back from the trail. If my D90 didn't have a 2" lift I may have not put them back on. The local shop is sourcing used parts (links and bars) and new bushings and bolts. If I want to remove them at some later time I can.

Tom
Old June 27th, 2012, 10:11 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrimmon View Post
Evil:

Where I live and drive we have a lot of big animals in the road: deer, elk, bear, antelope. I don't want to tip over when running 65 mph on a back road coming back from the trail.
You might consider getting an aftermarket bumper to give you some protection but I wouldn't swerve to avoid animals. It just isn't worth the potential consequences.
Old June 27th, 2012, 10:30 AM
rockrimmon
Tom Vervaeke

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post
You might consider getting an aftermarket bumper to give you some protection but I wouldn't swerve to avoid animals. It just isn't worth the potential consequences.
Meat:

Luckily mine came with a ARB front bumper that looks solid and almost new. It might stop an antelope or small mule deer but would do nothing to an Elk, horse, or cow. Agree on not swerving unless really necessary.

Tom

PS: I learned how to attach pics. Yeah!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D90 ARB.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	53565  
Old June 27th, 2012, 11:01 AM
rockrimmon
Tom Vervaeke

Registry
Fire

I live in the NW corner of Colorado Springs. We have an active forest fire (Waldo Canyon Fire) that got into the west side of town last night. You can check out www.krdo.com for live feed of fire news.

My wife took the dogs, cat, 4Runner and important papers and evac'd to our cabin in Westcliffe, CO. Despite mandatory evac notices I decided to stay. Everyone on my street is gone.

I had to make a decision that if I was forced to leave whether to save my 2005 BMW M3 Vert or take the 94 D90. I decided to drive the D90 out and leave the M3. M3 is awesome, but not rare. The D90 is loaded and ready to go if needed. I think we're safe here now unless the winds shift again.

We lost hundreds of homes just 3 miles to the west in Mountain Shadows.

Tom
Old June 27th, 2012, 11:10 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Tom, sorry to hear about the fires...stay safe.

Oh, and rescue the 90 over the M3...not even a debatable topic!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 27th, 2012, 11:16 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Throw the M3 up on a dolley and tow it out behind the 90 if you have to.
Old June 27th, 2012, 11:42 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I don't know how skilled you are as a wrencher, so I make this suggestion from the standpoint of someone who does all my own repairs.
The oil cooler lines, if you choose to retain them, are easily fabricated from braided stainless jacketed hose and AN fittings. These are available from about a gazillion online retailers including Jegs and Summitt. They do not require any sophisticated tools to make them and the parts are generally inexpensive. I am certain that for way under a hundred bucks you could do up your own set of lines.
However, since you have gone and ordered them from someone who has the knowledge and experience of doing this for you, the point is moot.
What I'm getting at is that for many of us, the care and feeding of Rovers is a large part of the experience. Simply handing the thing over to someone else to fix every time something goes haywire just will not do, especially when it is on the trail when the problem occurs (this is usually the case).
If you do not know the basics of the 30K service, brake pad replacement, water pump, alternator, and radiator repair, etc. then perhaps it should be on your list. Having that information and skills may save you many thousands of dollars and inconvenience during your time as caregiver.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old June 27th, 2012, 11:58 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
I saw your username and thought you might be in some trouble down there. I do see some clouds today and perhaps you'll get some rain out of them.

Good luck.

Oh and I love Arles Blue. I had a IIa that color, unfortunately I crashed that one.
Old June 27th, 2012, 12:11 PM
rockrimmon
Tom Vervaeke

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
I don't know how skilled you are as a wrencher, so I make this suggestion from the standpoint of someone who does all my own repairs.
The oil cooler lines, if you choose to retain them, are easily fabricated from braided stainless jacketed hose and AN fittings. These are available from about a gazillion online retailers including Jegs and Summitt. They do not require any sophisticated tools to make them and the parts are generally inexpensive. I am certain that for way under a hundred bucks you could do up your own set of lines.
However, since you have gone and ordered them from someone who has the knowledge and experience of doing this for you, the point is moot.
What I'm getting at is that for many of us, the care and feeding of Rovers is a large part of the experience. Simply handing the thing over to someone else to fix every time something goes haywire just will not do, especially when it is on the trail when the problem occurs (this is usually the case).
If you do not know the basics of the 30K service, brake pad replacement, water pump, alternator, and radiator repair, etc. then perhaps it should be on your list. Having that information and skills may save you many thousands of dollars and inconvenience during your time as caregiver.
Bill:

Yes, I am a decent backyard wrench. I can do a lot of stuff. I will install the new lines myself. But I have a very active work life with a lot of work travel and paying $225 for the set of lines with the right fittings is actually cheaper to me than to source materials, fittings, etc.. and make them. Time and money levels are different for everyone I am sure. I will install the lines and have no issue with that. Even if I had the time, I would not be comfortable with fabbing new lines. That's just me.

Changing a water pump, alternator, starter, belts, brake pads, rotors and such are within my comfort zone. Removing and having a radiator re-cored by a pro is within my realm. Rebuilding a trans, a diff, or a transfer case is NOT in my comfort zone. Replacing shocks and springs I can do but learned that it's so much easier to have a pro do it. Lots of local places with labor rates cheap enough and quick enough and will make it a better job than if I try it. I live within 2 miles of an awesome 4x4 offroad shop that can do things better than I can and I won't worry about it.

So I'm likely somewhere in the middle range of the skills and willingness to do things. If there is a 1-10 scale where a '1' is someone who can't change their own oil and a '10' is someone who is willing to do their own ground up, new galvanized chassis restoration project, them I am likely a 4-5. It's just who I am.

I am 55, almost 56, and will admit at this time that I value the time i have to be outdoors and using my motorbikes and cars and hiking/climbing/traveling and not wrenching as much. I almost never wrench on any of my motorcycles during the riding months unless it's tires or oil/filter changes. I do extensive work during the long Colorado winters. I think my D90 wrenching will be much the same. It's the middle of summer now so I just want to get my new rig up to a minimum baseline status with a service and then use it hard until the snow flies in October. I will do a mix of my own work as the D90 does seem pretty basic but have no issue with having the local indy Rover shop step in.

Am in total agreement that working on your rig is the best way to know what to do when it dies or needs work. But I have to mix that in with a professional work life with 20-40% business travel on a regular basis.

Tom
Old June 27th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
It is THE MOST BASIC thing that should be first squared away.

Trailhead 4x4 has the lines.
what he said
Old June 27th, 2012, 01:23 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
But I have to mix that in with a professional work life with 20-40% business travel on a regular basis.
Gotta pay the bills! Don't misread me, wasn't knocking you or anything. I too must balance the time/money thing. If I could find a mechanic I could trust who wouldn't ask for my left nut every time I'd farm out more work myself.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old June 27th, 2012, 04:41 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Evil:

Where I live and drive we have a lot of big animals in the road: deer, elk, bear, antelope. I don't want to tip over when running 65 mph on a back road coming back from the trail. If my D90 didn't have a 2" lift I may have not put them back on. The local shop is sourcing used parts (links and bars) and new bushings and bolts. If I want to remove them at some later time I can.

Tom
I think we said the same thing. I can't live without sway bars.
Old June 28th, 2012, 07:49 AM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
Do you have a LR part number for the oil cooler lines ?

I'm ordering a bunch of stuff from LR Series again and will add it to my order.
Old June 28th, 2012, 07:54 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
No no....don't order the same stock setup for the oil cooler lines - those are known to fail anyhow. Plus I wouldn't trust "new old stock" or similar, which have been sitting around degrading.

Either order the upgraded lines from Trailhead4x4 or take yours off and have them rebuilt (I had mine rebuilt at a place called Tipco, but any line shop can do it).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 28th, 2012, 08:49 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
.....I may get at least one side step for my wife. She's 5'8" but already ripped a pair of shorts on the door jam exiting the vehicle.
Welcome to the club. There is a whole thread out there about this unique Rover experience! Here you go

X-trouser

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Tags
90, arles blue, d90, ht, nas