Newbie - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old April 21st, 2015, 11:06 PM
GP637
George Piedade
none

So, I'm relocating to Portugal and will be living in a beach town. At first I was thinking of buying a Jeep Wrangler and have spent some time searching the used car market, but it seems that in Portugal, the Wranglers are very expensive and not very well equipped.

So, when in Rome……..

It seems that the Defenders are in abundance. I've seen some late models, such as 2010s and 2011s for around 20K Euros. What are your thoughts of the Defender? Pros/cons? I see most are hardtops, but I would really prefer a soft top. Is the switch relatively easy?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2015, 08:18 AM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Ehhhh. Defenders are ok.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 09:31 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
If you have to ask it's probably too complicated for you to do so you'll be paying someone else.

A NAS spec roll cage are no longer available and if you found one it would probably cost around $10k to do a conversion.

Cheaper is a safety device cage but it won't look as nice.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2015, 05:06 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi George I would say take one for a test drive first they do take some getting used to they are not a roomey as you would think.

the pros & cons are mostly based one where you are .. uk - very few cons as they are cheap-ish and plentiful, the US where this forum is based is another matter.

To swap a hard top to a soft top is straight forward and all parts for the frame and soft top are freely available especially in somewhere like Portugal or from someone like Exmoor Trim
Hood Stick Sets
You would also need to swap the rear door for a tail gate or half door.

Regards
Gren
Old April 23rd, 2015, 01:37 AM
GP637
George Piedade
none

Thanks for the info……

This will not be our only vehicle, so I'm OK with the rough ride and the lack of room. As far as doing it myself for exchanging the top, I have turned a fair amount of wrenches in my day, so unless it's overly complicated, I should be able to manage. I'm just not too familiar with the defenders yet, so didn't even know if it was possible to switch from one top to another. By your post, am I correct to assume that to change from the hard top to the soft, I will have to install the roll bars that you sent the link to?

I did just recently see an add for a 2011 for sale with 50K kilometers for around 20K euros. It mentions that it has a hard top included, which leads me to believe that the owner also has the soft top. All the pictures shown of the vehicle is with the hard top. I don't know the prices of the defender in Europe, but the ones I've seen in the US are much more expensive and of course much older. So, without knowing much about the vehicle, does the price seem fair to you guys that are familiar of the going rates in Europe?

I will need to take another trip to Portugal in a month or so, and I plan on looking at the vehicle in person and perhaps purchasing, if it's still available.

Forgot to mention……I believe it's the 5 cylinder diesel. Pros/Cons of this engine? I assume the gas mileage is sh*t, but I'm prepared for that.

Appreciate all your input.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 08:02 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP637 View Post
Thanks for the info…… This will not be our only vehicle, so I'm OK with the rough ride and the lack of room. As far as doing it myself for exchanging the top, I have turned a fair amount of wrenches in my day, so unless it's overly complicated, I should be able to manage. I'm just not too familiar with the defenders yet, so didn't even know if it was possible to switch from one top to another. By your post, am I correct to assume that to change from the hard top to the soft, I will have to install the roll bars that you sent the link to? I did just recently see an add for a 2011 for sale with 50K kilometers for around 20K euros. It mentions that it has a hard top included, which leads me to believe that the owner also has the soft top. All the pictures shown of the vehicle is with the hard top. I don't know the prices of the defender in Europe, but the ones I've seen in the US are much more expensive and of course much older. So, without knowing much about the vehicle, does the price seem fair to you guys that are familiar of the going rates in Europe? I will need to take another trip to Portugal in a month or so, and I plan on looking at the vehicle in person and perhaps purchasing, if it's still available. Forgot to mention……I believe it's the 5 cylinder diesel. Pros/Cons of this engine? I assume the gas mileage is sh*t, but I'm prepared for that. Appreciate all your input.
Gas mileage being shit is a trait of American vehicles. Seriously the diesel defenders will get around 30mpg on a British gallon.

If the truck is a TD5 they do have issues but are generally reliable. The later puma engine which this could be benefits from 6 speed gear box, modern dash and is also pretty reliable. The main source of knowledge for these engines would be UK forums as there are very few here. Most people here would jump at the chance of a 2011 truck for €20k euro so to get a real picture you need to gauge locally. There is an occasional ember here from Portugal so might be best to seek him out.

I
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.