New member, Registering a Defender 90 in California - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old May 23rd, 2016, 12:44 AM
Mark White
Mark
None

New member, Registering a Defender 90 in California

Hello all! So, this is what I have so far: DMV says my right hand drive Defender 90, 200 TDI is 1,100.00 for the red tag in the back window, ok to drive for a couple of months...then, $7,500.00 for only one conversion company in Santa Anna to convert. I guess I am in the DMV system, so registering in another state is not an option....WOW, no wonder these things cost $70,000.00! Ok, so I have had it long enough that I am totally hooked on the truck, it is pretty cool. I have made it mine, added alloys, tires, guards, nav system etc. etc. so I have to be able to drive it legally. Any other, less expensive way to do this? It takes 10 weeks! I will have to get another practical vehical in the mean time...looking at lotus evora's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2016, 12:56 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Mark,
You keep asking as if somebody here could register it for you. Had you read the California Registration tread before you did anything you wouldn't be in this position.
You can:
1) Move out of the republik
2) Register it in another state and skirt the law
3) Sell the truck
4) Roll the dice with the outfit you mentioned in your other thread(s)

What else do you want people to tell you? The truth is California HATES diesel defenders and anything that doesn't have EPA/CARB stickers on them. They also hate guns, non-fortified milk, functioning gas cans and nuclear power. You guys keep electing these people but then again don't they do everything for the children?
Leeland Yee (D) California
Old May 23rd, 2016, 01:10 AM
Mark White
Mark
None

True, true. Just hoping someone had a magic alternative method. It seems unfair as hell. I will be rolling the dice with the G and K automotive, it looks like. I get a bigger kick out of this truck than any other vehical I own, so selling is not an option. California has some issues, but its home, and some pretty good things going on here, so I must deal with it, and legal is the only option for me. Thanks for your feedback. Oh, the pain!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2016, 01:12 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
How deep are you into this truck? Pics? Mileage? I'm only on the app so I can't see it on your registry.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 01:30 AM
Mark White
Mark
None

Stole it. $10,300.00 it's a movie truck. On HBO "The Brink" with Jack Black. Episode 5. New paint, good interior, I have invested about 5,000.00 more for u-joints, wheels, tires , gas tank, odds and ends, killer Harmon Kardon navigation system, nardi wheel, 75 watt led head lights, grill guard, light guards, on and on, hell of a toy! I will get a picture soon.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 01:41 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
This must be your truck then?

Or perhaps the season 1 episode 6 truck?

http://m.notey.com/@film-book_unoffi...tweet-hbo.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3555857528.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	150061   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1000340754.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	150062  

Old May 23rd, 2016, 01:46 AM
Mark White
Mark
None

Yes, I have painted the white top mat black, and made some changes, but that is what the seller told me it was, and it looks like it is...

------ Follow up post added May 22nd, 2016 10:51 PM ------

Hey, thanks man, that was pretty cool! Wish there was better resolution! I had a Mclaran once, and I get more thumbs up in the Defender than the super car got. I have room to pay for the smog, they hold their value well, especially after they stopped making them.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 01:59 AM
KGH
Real Name
#1-'13 110SW,#2-'87 127,#3-'12 LR4

Registry
Quote:
a Mclaran ...the super car
Hmmm...

Huh.....

Wait....Wha?.....

Ha...haha....hahahahhaaaaaa....WTF.....haha....
Old May 23rd, 2016, 02:43 AM
Mark White
Mark
None

Mclaran M8E, 1972

We have several Ferraris, Lambos and other fast cars here, in Modesto, California. There is only the one Defender, that I am aware of....mine. The other guy moved to Oakdale. Hahaha
Old May 23rd, 2016, 11:48 AM
javelinadave
-
-

With the consistent, repeated same question asking from Mark I and a few others are starting to wonder if he possibly works for the Kali DMV or some other entity of the Republik and is trying to find out if anybody here is skirting the law.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 12:19 PM
Mark White
Mark
None

Hated DMV

No, not with the DMV. What I have found out is the motor is not replaced, but a "Diesel Particulate Filter" and other emission controls be installed. Then, lab tests. THEN, tags! I am going through it. Sorry about repeated questions, I just hate to spend that much money. Gotta though, it seems.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 01:27 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
There is on "magic" you either follow the laws of your state or you don't. But asking how to skirt the law on a public forum in multiple threads is curious at best.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 01:33 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
that seems like a crazy amount of money to "keep" a 200 tdi... pull the drivetrain, sell it and drop in an LS.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 01:34 PM
Mark White
Mark
None

NOT trying to skirt any laws! Does it seem odd, that anyone can register a 1989 diesel car or light truck vehicle in California, UNLESS it is a Defender? Then you are required to pay pretty ridiculous fees for conversions. It just didn't seem fair....why the haten?
Old May 23rd, 2016, 01:40 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark White View Post
....why the haten?
You keep posting the same questions over and over and are looking for somebody to give YOU the answer YOU want. Newbies who do this ultimately are ignored by the very members here who could actually help them out. It isn't just you, there are several in our current "freshman class" that are following this very path.
My suggestion at this point is pay the money and report back your success or failure.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 01:41 PM
Mark White
Mark
None

LS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
that seems like a crazy amount of money to "keep" a 200 tdi... pull the drivetrain, sell it and drop in an LS.
You mean the GM V-8? That would take care of the power problem...doubt it would hurt the value...tell me more. Is this something that has been done before? Pull the drive train? I wonder if adaptor plates are available to keep the 5 speed/4 wheel drive? I would rather do something like that than spend $$$ on a motor with 80,000 miles on it. Thanks for any advise you may can give me! California is tough, I just went to buy batteries for my robot vacuum, and the Batteries plus store says California will not let them sell Li batteries!
Old May 23rd, 2016, 01:44 PM
ionfender
IO
94 NAS D90, #1379 (SOLD)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark White View Post
You mean the GM V-8? That would take care of the power problem...doubt it would hurt the value...tell me more. Is this something that has been done before? Pull the drive train? I wonder if adaptor plates are available to keep the 5 speed/4 wheel drive? I would rather do something like that than spend $$$ on a motor with 80,000 miles on it. Thanks for any advise you may can give me! California is tough, I just went to buy batteries for my robot vacuum, and the Batteries plus store says California will not let them sell Li batteries!
There's an extensive thread on this site about LS conversions. It's worth a read for the amount of money your talking about spending.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 01:53 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Not "haten" but government agents monitor this site regularly. This subject has been discussed ad nauseam here and the information you seek is here. But YOU have to take the time and make the effort to look it up and your questions will be answered.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 02:04 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
edit

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Tags
90, defender, defender 90