New member asking advice - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old April 21st, 2015, 09:54 AM
Ocrracing
Mark
None

New member asking advice

hi

New to the site so please be gentle.

Loved defenders since my days back in the military, seriously considering a defender now. .. Question is which one.

It could be used for some easy off roading as I have an assault course business. So it would come in handy for dragging kit around the fields etc. Not wanting to spend much more than 3k if poss!!
Think Im preferring 90's . Love v8 noise. It would also be used for the odd school run when the wife has our main car at work . But could possibly look to getting properly into off roading

What should I look for ?? Obviously for the money I want to spend I'm guessing rot problems ??? But any key areas to watch for?
Engines ... Love a v8 but not essential . What's the other options like.

Lots of questions.

Sorry

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2015, 12:56 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
For $3k you are buying a disco not a defender. Sorry but defenders are ridiculously over priced.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old April 21st, 2015, 01:12 PM
Ocrracing
Mark
None

Sorry was talking 3k gbp
Approx 4500us. I think

Don't mind that much about bodywork. Not after anything spectacular looking, more a work horse

Just need advice on best engine etc and what to look for

Cheers for the reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2015, 01:33 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocrracing View Post
Sorry was talking 3k gbp Approx 4500us. I think Don't mind that much about bodywork. Not after anything spectacular looking, more a work horse Just need advice on best engine etc and what to look for Cheers for the reply
Are you seeking to buy a defender in the UK to keep in the UK?

This site is 99.9% American related defenders. We have a special market where pieces of crap are worth a fortune due to severe import restrictions.

My preference would be a 90 with 300tdi engine then 200tdi. I wouldn't mess with a v8. They are fragile if not cared for ... Have terrible mileage and are underpowered to make them worth while.

2.5TD as fitted to military trucks are noisy and slow.

Defenders rot out at the cross member at the back and footwells firstly. Then door bottoms, bulkheads and chassis mounts. They all leak oil and have a resident spider that likes in the back.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old April 22nd, 2015, 12:09 PM
Ocrracing
Mark
None

Hi again,

Massive thanks for this info ... Very helpful . Didn't realise this was mainly a U.S. site .

Yes I'm in the uk and looking to buy in the uk

Love the v8 noise but hearing what your saying I think I'll look down the 300tdi route.

Wish the U.K. sites were as helpful

Thanks again mate

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Tags
advice