New in Boulder, C0. Want to buy as well. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old September 18th, 2016, 11:42 AM
tony.co
Tony
None

New in Boulder, C0. Want to buy as well.

Hello,

I'm located outside Boulder, CO area. I have always been a big fan of the Defender 90. I figured it was time to make the dream a reality.

1. I'm hoping to find a buyers guide, or a Defenders for dummies that explains the differences between years & models.

2. I'm looking then to buy a higher end driver to use out here in Colorado. Not rock crawling, but off road fly-fishing, mountaineering, both great for summer and winter. Any leads please let me know!

Thanks!
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2016, 12:16 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Welcome! This is a great place for information, ideas, guidance and accurate (mostly) technical information.

A "Defenders for Dummies" guide? Not aware of one.

The first question for you is, do you know that Land Rover officially imported very few Defenders, all in the 1990's? Because they are rare, they are now quite expensive. If that's what you want, go for it.

Carrie and I own 3 ROW (Rest Of the World) Defenders. They can be legally (and easily) imported ONLY when 25 years after the individual vechicle's date of manufacture (not model year.)

Keep asking questions, be patient.

Mike & Carrie
Old September 18th, 2016, 12:24 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.co View Post
H

1. I'm hoping to find a buyers guide, or a Defenders for dummies that explains the differences between years & models.

This is a good guide to not getting ripped off.
Mike @ ECR put together a photo guide of where to look for trouble spots.
Many Defenders looks great in the ad pictures but you should know what lurks underneath.
The problem areas apply to foreign and *domestics*...

https://eastcoastrover.smugmug.com/C...-guide-images/

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2016, 01:17 PM
tony.co
Tony
None

Mike & Carrie,

I did not know that. I have always used the "Defender" as a default, but now realize that there is a ROW.

I was searching and found this Defender 90. Its perfect color, miles, options. I have no idea if its over priced and what to look out for.

I'm on the Porsche forum, Rennlist.com and have owned many aircooled 911 (993). Newbies come in and asked the basics, people roll their eyes. I realize I'm that guy now. All good, the hunt for knowledge and a 90 is the fun for sure.

1997 Land Rover Defender 90 Limited Edition | Copley Motorcars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuamPilot View Post
Welcome! This is a great place for information, ideas, guidance and accurate (mostly) technical information.

A "Defenders for Dummies" guide? Not aware of one.

The first question for you is, do you know that Land Rover officially imported very few Defenders, all in the 1990's? Because they are rare, they are now quite expensive. If that's what you want, go for it.

Carrie and I own 3 ROW (Rest Of the World) Defenders. They can be legally (and easily) imported ONLY when 25 years after the individual vechicle's date of manufacture (not model year.)

Keep asking questions, be patient.

Mike & Carrie
Nomar, thats perfect! I will read up. Thanks a ton. Glad I joined the forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
This is a good guide to not getting ripped off.
Mike @ ECR put together a photo guide of where to look for trouble spots.
Many Defenders looks great in the ad pictures but you should know what lurks underneath.
The problem areas apply to foreign and *domestics*...

https://eastcoastrover.smugmug.com/C...-guide-images/

Old September 18th, 2016, 01:25 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Hello,

I'm located outside Boulder, CO area. I have always been a big fan of the Defender 90. I figured it was time to make the dream a reality.

This is it!

2. I'm looking then to buy a higher end driver to use out here in Colorado. Not rock crawling, but off road fly-fishing, mountaineering, both great for summer and winter. Any leads please let me know!

Budget? Distance you're willing to travel? NAS only?

Thanks!
Tony
I used to be on Rennlist & Pelican when I had 911's. I was Paul K there too.
Old September 18th, 2016, 02:31 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Your link looks to me to be a genuine NAS (North American Specification.) NAS are the ones officially imported to the U.S. by Land Rover. By the way, these are the only Defenders you can easily register in California.

Other members here can help you verify if this link is in fact a genuine NAS. Because of the price premium, crooks are tempted to take ROWs and try to sell as real NAS.

A tiny bit of history. Before Defenders came Series. All Series have leaf springs. All Defenders have coil springs (starting in 1983.) These were called 'Ninety' or 'OneTen', the name 'Defender' wasn't used until 1989. The '83 through '89 are considered Defenders as no significant changes were made except offering a new engine in '89 (the 200Tdi.)

Just to confuse things, Land Rover licensed Santana in Spain to build Series and Defenders, but Santana continued using leaf springs on their "Defenders". Others on this Forum can fill you in on the other differences with Santana. I'm not saying they are bad, just don't buy a Santana thinking its a Land Rover.

All NAS have gasoline V8. Many (most?) ROW have diesel.

Mike & Carrie

Quote:
Mike & Carrie,

I did not know that. I have always used the "Defender" as a default, but now realize that there is a ROW.

I was searching and found this Defender 90. Its perfect color, miles, options. I have no idea if its over priced and what to look out for.

I'm on the Porsche forum, Rennlist.com and have owned many aircooled 911 (993). Newbies come in and asked the basics, people roll their eyes. I realize I'm that guy now. All good, the hunt for knowledge and a 90 is the fun for sure.

1997 Land Rover Defender 90 Limited Edition | Copley Motorcars

Nomar, thats perfect! I will read up. Thanks a ton. Glad I joined the forum!
Old September 18th, 2016, 03:18 PM
tony.co
Tony
None

Thanks Paul! It's been awhile for me and the 993 forum, but your user ID sure sounds familiar. I think I was coming on RL at the time your were selling your C4. Small world!

My budget pretty wide open really, right one, I'll pay for it. NAS only? Well, I'm just learning what that means actually through GuamPilot, but that's what I lean toward now. I think I will end of changing that, after I see the premium charge for NAS.

I'm willing to travel. I bought 8 993's in a few years (I had issues). All long distance so I'm not worried about buying remote as long as I get a good PPI and reputation of seller is excellent. I buy on the seller as much as the car.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
I used to be on Rennlist & Pelican when I had 911's. I was Paul K there too.
So much to absorb below, thank you. Gives me a ton to consider, as well as look out for in my search.

I really appreciate the history here, I will read more in-depth and ensure I understand it thoroughly.

Cheers,
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuamPilot View Post
Your link looks to me to be a genuine NAS (North American Specification.) NAS are the ones officially imported to the U.S. by Land Rover. By the way, these are the only Defenders you can easily register in California.

Other members here can help you verify if this link is in fact a genuine NAS. Because of the price premium, crooks are tempted to take ROWs and try to sell as real NAS.

A tiny bit of history. Before Defenders came Series. All Series have leaf springs. All Defenders have coil springs (starting in 1983.) These were called 'Ninety' or 'OneTen', the name 'Defender' wasn't used until 1989. The '83 through '89 are considered Defenders as no significant changes were made except offering a new engine in '89 (the 200Tdi.)

Just to confuse things, Land Rover licensed Santana in Spain to build Series and Defenders, but Santana continued using leaf springs on their "Defenders". Others on this Forum can fill you in on the other differences with Santana. I'm not saying they are bad, just don't buy a Santana thinking its a Land Rover.

All NAS have gasoline V8. Many (most?) ROW have diesel.

Mike & Carrie
Old September 18th, 2016, 04:01 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Tony:

The NAS trucks are nice, but even at their best, they were underpowered & are now pretty old. Therefore, since the process of upgrading to an LS engine is becoming more popular, and the chassis on some are getting crusty, 'all original' isn't necessarily a good thing. I would recommend buying a LHD Defender from Europe. Either a 200Tdi (great engine, much better than the older ones, first used in 1990) or if it's petrol, which will be very anaemic- then do the LS upgrade. You can have it rebuilt (new, galvanized chassis, bulkhead, etc.) and customize it as you want, and you'll have one that's built to suit, with the engine & transmission of your choice. Spendy? Yes- but what a rig it'll be!

I bought an '85 Ninety V8 station Wagon (SW) and am in the process of upgrading just about everything, including a new chassis & bulkhead, paint & LS motor (in my case the LC9, which is a GM Generation 4 from a wrecked 2010 GMC Sierra) which will have 315 BHP.

I thought my 911's ('83, '89 & '96) were spendy when it comes to upgrades. Brace yourself if you buy a Defender!

Not to throw a spanner in the works, but I recommend you look at both LWB & SWB Mercedes Benz Gelandewagens also.

Cheers,

Paul.

Quote:
Thanks Paul! It's been awhile for me and the 993 forum, but your user ID sure sounds familiar. I think I was coming on RL at the time your were selling your C4. Small world!

My budget pretty wide open really, right one, I'll pay for it. NAS only? Well, I'm just learning what that means actually through GuamPilot, but that's what I lean toward now. I think I will end of changing that, after I see the premium charge for NAS.

I'm willing to travel. I bought 8 993's in a few years (I had issues). All long distance so I'm not worried about buying remote as long as I get a good PPI and reputation of seller is excellent. I buy on the seller as much as the car.

Thanks again!

So much to absorb below, thank you. Gives me a ton to consider, as well as look out for in my search.

I really appreciate the history here, I will read more in-depth and ensure I understand it thoroughly.

Cheers,
Tony

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.