New here, hoping to enjoy my stay! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old July 16th, 2015, 02:31 PM
TazzTheJynx
William
none yet

New here, hoping to enjoy my stay!

Hey there. I've been lurking on the forums for some amount of time, just looking at projects and what not. I find myself forming several questions about certain things, really hoping you guys can help me answer them.

Also I'll have to be saving up for this vehicle. If I import it I'm looking at around 5-7k for the vehicle itself (as well as 10% of the vehicles price+500 for the guys service (that's in euros though)) and then shipping cost and any fees I don't know of for importing a vehicle. I'm hoping at the extreme end it'd cost 10k. For those of you that are curious I'm going through a fellow named Rob in the Netherlands who finds vehicles and purchases them for people in other countries. This is very much a long term goal, I'm looking at maybe a year or two to afford a Defender.

Plans for the vehicle I buy:
A) I plan to get the chassis galvanized or replaced with an aftermarket galvanized chassis. As well as galvanizing the bulkhead when I do the electrical.
B) I plan to re-do all the electricals. This will more than likely require me to replace some old wiring as well as upgrade the default fuse box (they tend to have faulty fuses from what I hear) I also will add LED lights for everything, hopefully LED headlights as well.
C) modify the dash to fit some new nick nacks. I'll be adding several switches (I may mount those on a glovebox in the center console however, or on the roof or above the windscreen), I'll also be adding a CB for emergency communications. I'll also be adding a few USB ports (may go on the center console instead?), I'll be upgrading (or adding) the radio system. It doesn't really need to play CDs since I just use an aux cable to hook my phone up anyway Bluetooth would be nice though. I think I'll also be adding some updated gauges, I hear stock ones are hard to see.
C) Interior lights. I'm not sure what I'd be installing, but I plan to use this vehicle as a part time family camper, so I'd like lights so we can see inside at night.
D) Typical Mods. I'll be adding a roof rack, some kind of canvas (don't know the name) to use as protection during rain, brush guards, winch, maybe some floodlights.
E) Storage. The reason I'm giving this its own section is because the storage will be the most important part (for me) I'm debating on side storages near the rear wheels (it's unused room apparently?) For jerry cans. It'd give me 4 extra jerry cans I can carry. I'll also be building storage boxes that double as seats in the back. As well as adding a net on the roof above the seats that'll be used to store light weight equipment (bedding, sleeping bags, clothes) and of course a roof rack.

Any other mods you guys can think of that I should add? Let me know!

The questions:
1) for importing a Defender what are the applicable taxes and fees associated with it? It'll be at least 25 years old (most likely 25-35 years old) but I heard about duty tax? How much is that?

2) What's a good source of aftermarket parts for Defenders? I'm not worried about 'originality' I plan to re-do lots of things anyway.

3) why don't more people import land rover Defenders??

4) anything I should know before buying one of these beautiful things?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2015, 02:38 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

1. The taxes are not much, I would recommend uncle douglas of dividing creek imports for help in the logistics of importing whatever you land on. IIRC, all in with shipping including to the port in the UK, taxes, logistics from Doug etc. I paid about $3500 for a non-runner to come over. Maybe more or less I forget but it was very reasonable.
2. Plenty of vendors around, most of them good.
3. A ton do.
4. Call Doug before you import. He knows everyone and knows all the ins and outs of doing it right. The horror stories of people trying to save $1000 but costing them $10k (including having the truck refused entry) should be warning enough.

PS I have no affiliation with Doug
Old July 16th, 2015, 02:45 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Welcome to the fray, go get a good one!!!! You should really find someone over there (Hopefully a friend of someone here, someone you can trust) to inspect it before you go to the trouble to import.

Doug is THE import MAN! Get him involved if at all possible is my one tips.

~Steve
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2015, 02:52 PM
TazzTheJynx
William
none yet

Thanks guys. Does anyone know the prices of Defenders over there? It seems you can get a decent dirvable one for 6k or so. Not sure though. And does anyone have contacts over seas I could speak with, I would really appreciate someone looking at the vehicle that knows a bit more about Defenders going with the guy I'll be paying to buy the vehicle for me. Thanks a lot guys!
Old July 16th, 2015, 03:42 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
A $6K Defender is probably not worth the cost to import IMO. You will typically get what you pay for. IMO there's plenty of stock here to choose from if you are patient, know what you want and have cash available/ready to wire. Shit happens so people have to unload and therefore happy to just recouple their investment.
Old July 16th, 2015, 04:08 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
My advice would be to try and find anyone here stateside who has had a favorable experience with "Rob". Nothing I have heard has been remotely positive.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 16th, 2015, 04:34 PM
TazzTheJynx
William
none yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
My advice would be to try and find anyone here stateside who has had a favorable experience with "Rob". Nothing I have heard has been remotely positive.
I would more then happy to hear about someone else? Anyone who knows anything about land rovers would be preferable. I'm very new to importing vehicles (meaning I've never done it) so if you have any advice/know any reputable sources that I could purchase a defender through that'd be great.
Old July 16th, 2015, 04:36 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
6k is not a good starting figure and 10k is not a good top-end number.

Start looking at mobile.de and autoscout24.com (both have English versions) and see if there is anything you like near your price range.

If you find something, post the ad a see what other people think about it. Not much good out there for low prices.

And don't put all your trust in someone to take care of you unless you've got lots of references and a proven track record. Look at real trucks. 6k isn't big money at all by defender standards, but it is still way too much to lose to send to someone based on promises alone.

Do more homework on the businesses you plan to work with than the accessories you might buy someday.

Old July 16th, 2015, 05:23 PM
TazzTheJynx
William
none yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
6k is not a good starting figure and 10k is not a good top-end number.

Start looking at mobile.de and autoscout24.com (both have English versions) and see if there is anything you like near your price range.

If you find something, post the ad a see what other people think about it. Not much good out there for low prices.

And don't put all your trust in someone to take care of you unless you've got lots of references and a proven track record. Look at real trucks. 6k isn't big money at all by defender standards, but it is still way too much to lose to send to someone based on promises alone.

Do more homework on the businesses you plan to work with than the accessories you might buy someday.
Thanks for the advice. I'm not saying that 6-10k is a good starting point for a Defender, but it's the prices I were shown for ones that run but do have some problems (which is fine with me, I wouldn't mind being in the garage fixing it up, gives me something to do in my free time)

I wasn't aware mobile.de had a English version, I'll check them out.

And the guy I mentioned was a reference from someone I know, so I figured they'd be good.

I also don't want it to seem like I'm thinking more of mods I'll be doing than getting the vehicle itself. If I could find a Defender in the States for the same price I would, but I often see them reach 30-40k however I am keeping my eyes open.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.