New guy from Austin - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old February 24th, 2015, 06:09 AM
ctp
Chris Pritt
None

New guy from Austin

99% sure I just bought a 95 D90. I'm overseas and my wife is doing all the running around and I'm emailing and scanning. I just received the "congratulations on your Defender" email from the dealership, but won't be positive until I get the keys.

Anyway, I recently moved to Austin after 20yrs in the Marines. I'm out of the country for work most of the year, and decided I wanted something different. I've always thought the LRs were the sweetest ride around.

I'll get to know her pretty well soon. I'll be driving it to DC within 5 days of being home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2015, 07:15 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctp View Post
99% sure I just bought a 95 D90. I'm overseas and my wife is doing all the running around and I'm emailing and scanning. I just received the "congratulations on your Defender" email from the dealership, but won't be positive until I get the keys. Anyway, I recently moved to Austin after 20yrs in the Marines. I'm out of the country for work most of the year, and decided I wanted something different. I've always thought the LRs were the sweetest ride around. I'll get to know her pretty well soon. I'll be driving it to DC within 5 days of being home.
Wow Texas to DC five days after getting your first defender ... That certainly a way to get to know a vehicle ... and AAA and all the parts shops .... and lets of motels in unplanned locations.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 24th, 2015, 07:51 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Post pics. We'll tell you the year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2015, 11:13 AM
ctp
Chris Pritt
None

It's a 95, unless the dealership bull-shitted me. Black, hard top w/ 5speed. Looks like the guy before me minimized the the inside. 90k miles

I can't post pics for a couple of weeks as I'm overseas teaching Pakistani bomb squads. As soon as I get home I'll be all over it.
Old February 24th, 2015, 11:32 AM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Quote:
It's a 95, unless the dealership bull-shitted me. Black, hard top w/ 5speed. Looks like the guy before me minimized the inside the inside. 90k miles I can't post pics for a couple of weeks as I'm overseas teaching Pakistan bomb squads. As soon as I get home I'll be all over it.
Are you training the Pakistani Taliban? LOL?

What exactly is a bomb squad? Is that their form of EOD?

Can't wait to see the pics!
Old February 24th, 2015, 11:35 AM
ctp
Chris Pritt
None

Police normally call them bomb squads. Military guys love their acronyms. Yes, it is their version of EOD training. 8 weeks at a time I get to go to the crappiest places on earth. Since I retired 2 years ago I've trained Nigeria, 3 Afghan classes, Iraq, Bangledesh, Niger and now Pakistan.

I retired out of MarSOC 2nd Raider BN EOD. I guess my life was too good
Old February 24th, 2015, 11:59 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
which dealer? Sounds like a great color.
Old February 24th, 2015, 12:28 PM
ctp
Chris Pritt
None

Southlake Motorcars outside of Dallas.

I also have a lifted Tundra crewmax 4X4 Platinum with 35"s that I've had a lot of work done to, and my wife HAD a RR Evoque. We have talked about a D90 for several years, and I nearly picked one up a couple of times.

My daughter has special needs and at times my wife needs the truck to carry her various wheelchairs and therapy equipment.

She also refuses to let me throw a dead hog or deer in the back of her Evoque. She keeps the truck and I grabbed a Defender. I'm a "problem solver"
Old February 24th, 2015, 12:32 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Are you relocating to the DC area? If so, it would be great to have another owner at our monthly Happy Hour. It has been a great resource for me in learning about my truck, and has introduced me to a lot of great people.
Old February 24th, 2015, 12:33 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Wait you didn't buy the Pittsburgh Steelers black and yellow edition, did you?

Southlake Motorcars | Pre-owned Dealer | Southlake, Texas
Old February 24th, 2015, 01:13 PM
ctp
Chris Pritt
None

Yes. It will be painted a solid color (and wheels/tires adjusted) shortly.

As for DC, I'll be teaching some guys at the O'Gara facility in Montross and staying in Fredericksburg for 8 weeks. I go there for 8 weeks once or twice a year
Old February 26th, 2015, 02:04 AM
Alpine Whitey
Darrel Cartmel
94 D90 ST #1843

I almost bought that truck. RX6RCROL test drove it for me after they shipped it to Florida. That black paint your seeing is not paint but a black wrap over yellow paint. I got a quote from a wrap shop that said they could remove it for $300 and it would leave the clear in perfect condition granted there's no bondo work under the wrap. It might be hiding something. The suspension on that truck needs some work according to Matt. Good luck!
Old February 26th, 2015, 03:50 AM
ctp
Chris Pritt
None

Cool. I'll probably paint it British racing green when I get a chance. I've always thought it looked awesome, and I don't think I'm a yellow truck guy.

I plan on the suspension work and a little more reasonable tires first. I am not a huge mud runner, but I do spend a lot of times in the woods. The stripped interior is a plus too. New seats and probably Line-X the interior as well.

I know it seems like I'm just keeping the shell, but I'm overseas 8-10 months a year and get bored when I'm home...and the Mrs said I had to stop buying guns.

I honestly don't know a lot about the vehicles, other than I've always thought they were awesome. Done a lot of work on my Tundra, but I'm not familiar with the limited companies that work on Defenders.
Old February 26th, 2015, 06:22 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Wait you didn't buy the Pittsburgh Steelers black and yellow edition, did you?

Southlake Motorcars | Pre-owned Dealer | Southlake, Texas
Not surprised you found it Josh
Old February 25th, 2016, 06:20 PM
Shagey71
Sam Hagey
1995 RRC LWB - Alpine White

Registry
Quote:

I know it seems like I'm just keeping the shell, but I'm overseas 8-10 months a year and get bored when I'm home...and the Mrs said I had to stop buying guns.
I understand completely, I work at GT Distributors, if you're familiar (also an Austin guy), and have a proximity issue, I tend to bring too many guns home as well.... Currently liquidating some and throwing the coin at a defender!

How'd the import go? Liking the truck?

'95 RRC CountyLWB - dripping all over central TX
'83 110 HCPU - in piceces, all over central TX
'90 RRC Truggy - loud and proud
'95 RRC CountyLWB Beluga Black - SOLD
'01 P38 - POS Leaked Electricity - SOLD
Old February 25th, 2016, 10:50 PM
ctp
Chris Pritt
None

I love it. GT Distributors is right down the road from where my daughter has therapy Mon-Fri. I've killed time (and a lot of $$) at that place. I was there today and I think I saw your truck- spare tire on roof rack?

As for my defender, so far:

Removed black wrap, revealing perfect bright yellow paint. Also removed the snorkel after realizing it wasn't even hooked up to anything under the hood. Reworked the entire suspension (went from 6" to 2" Lift) and put sway bars back on.-Previous owner used it as a rock crawler only. It had 37" tires on 15" steel rims and no sway bars!!! Death trap over 40mph

Now:
Brand new 4.6L motor-polished and ported heads, custom dual flowmaster exhaust with Kahn Crosshair style mudflap tip exits. Sounds awesome.
5 Kahn 20" rims with 35X12.5R20 Nitto Trail Grapplers. Truck sits perfectly
Replaced all interior and exterior lights with LEDs. It's nice to be able to see at night
Replaced all hoses, belts and pumps.

More work coming later this year, not sure what yet.

I'm sure I'll run into you at GTD
Old February 26th, 2016, 12:20 PM
Shagey71
Sam Hagey
1995 RRC LWB - Alpine White

Registry
Ha! Yep, that was mine. I drive it to work once a week to keep the battery up, tires moving, and everything lubricated. I was trailing it last year and had to drive down a creek for about a half a mile in 2-4' of water and lost my diff breathers... water in the gears and didn't realize it. Got the front replaced, and the rear diff is in a box in the garage... You can hear me coming from a mile away when I drive that thing now! ... Joys of ownership.

I have some land rover jealousy going, that sounds like a great project. I like to keep my wheels small, but I'm sure it looks great!

Well if you come by GT, let me know. The retail guys can page me, or grab me out of the office. I do agency/gov sales so I'm not out on the retail floor ever. Anyhow, PM me if you need a hook up.

'95 RRC CountyLWB - dripping all over central TX
'83 110 HCPU - in piceces, all over central TX
'90 RRC Truggy - loud and proud
'95 RRC CountyLWB Beluga Black - SOLD
'01 P38 - POS Leaked Electricity - SOLD

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.