New Guy - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old November 4th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Floridadan
Danny Alvarez
01/DII Stock

New Guy

Hello to all....I just wanted to introduce myself. After lurking for a while I wanted to say hello and complement you guys on a wonderful online community. I own a 01 DII but I am looking to get a defender within the next couple of months so naturally I come here to read up...
That being said, I think I have some but not all issues I should look out for when looking for a Defender....hose replacement, salvage titles and rust. I know there has to be more I just don't know what. Does anyone have any thoughts? I recognize this is going to be a 10+ year old truck and what may come with that + I am semi-used to LandRover issues, but are there significant things I should look for or stay away from?
Again thanks for being here and I look forward to being around.
Danny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2005, 06:27 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Welcome Danny. Are you looking for a soft top or hard top? Also stick or auto?
Old November 4th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Floridadan
Danny Alvarez
01/DII Stock

Good Question

I dont think I really don't mind either of those options....If I had to Prioritize???Soft top then Hard and transmissions really doesnt matter. (Unless I am missing something and you think it should matter)
A bigger factor, I think will be my price range - $25,000 ish....If I found the right vehicle around that price that I liked, I think I would take it either way....

TDI Guy..thanks for the welcome...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2005, 08:46 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
that should be enough money to get into a nice Defender. I would allow afew bills to always be on hand for the first little while of ownership depending on the PO. good luck
Old November 4th, 2005, 09:22 PM
jabber
m j

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridadan
I dont think I really don't mind either of those options....If I had to Prioritize???Soft top then Hard and transmissions really doesnt matter. (Unless I am missing something and you think it should matter)
A bigger factor, I think will be my price range - $25,000 ish....If I found the right vehicle around that price that I liked, I think I would take it either way....

TDI Guy..thanks for the welcome...

welcome! You can definitely get a good rig for that money!

/* Shameless plug
* http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=6643
*/
Old November 5th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Floridadan
Danny Alvarez
01/DII Stock

Jabber

Thats a great truck...You have mail Jabber...
Old November 6th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Floridadan
Danny Alvarez
01/DII Stock

SO what are everyday issues I should be concerned with when looking at the defender?
Old November 6th, 2005, 07:37 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
It will be the least comfortable, loudest, and least economical vehicle you own - but you'll enjoy it so much you wont be able to resist taking it everywhere.

The everyday issues are that soft tops are impossible to lock since unzipping any of the windows will provide access. Lots of people dont know how to properly attach the windows on the soft tops so they dont seal up - ez fix. Just be prepared to deal with little rust spots here and there. The defender is an exceedingly simple vehicle that rewards DIY - learning a bit, carrying some tools around, and having some critical spares. Theres a lot of stuff (just little crap that comes up) that you can have a dealer do for $$$ or you can do yourself. The recent threads about stainless fasteners and skidplates is an example - little things you can do for big improvements in your truck. Literally, the entire vehicle just bolts together.
Old November 7th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Floridadan
Danny Alvarez
01/DII Stock

Thanks Jim

Jim, I appreciate your time on both of my posts...You are making this a lot easier..Thanks...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.