NAS or ROW for CA? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old November 17th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Soleimh
Joseph
94/D90

NAS or ROW for CA?

Hi,

New member--been researching D90's and debating about purchasing a D90 ROW vs. NAS.

I live in CA and been given a lot of advice about the diesel engines--200TDI and 2.5T are good, the rest not so good--vs. petrol V8.

I am aware of the DOT, EPA and customs docs being necessary and also know that registering is the impediment of the non-NAS Defenders. Smogging is my question-how do you get your car smogged and registered in CA??

I know that some guys never get their cars registered here (Montana, here I come?). But I live in an area where the Sheriffs track people pretty hard and suspect driving a D90 with Montana plates for more than a couple months might cause issues.

If anyone has experience bringing in a Defender into CA that is not NAS, I would love to hear your experiences. Things to do, not to do, etc.!

Alternatively, if you have a car that you know you can get registered in CA, I am very interested (NAS or otherwise).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 18th, 2015, 02:11 AM
jperakis
James Perakis
94 ST

short answer is that CA and ROW diesels do not mix.

You will have zero problems with a NAS truck.

There are a couple decent NAS defenders currently for sale by members of this forum.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleimh View Post
Hi,

New member--been researching D90's and debating about purchasing a D90 ROW vs. NAS.

I live in CA and been given a lot of advice about the diesel engines--200TDI and 2.5T are good, the rest not so good--vs. petrol V8.

I am aware of the DOT, EPA and customs docs being necessary and also know that registering is the impediment of the non-NAS Defenders. Smogging is my question-how do you get your car smogged and registered in CA??

I know that some guys never get their cars registered here (Montana, here I come?). But I live in an area where the Sheriffs track people pretty hard and suspect driving a D90 with Montana plates for more than a couple months might cause issues.

If anyone has experience bringing in a Defender into CA that is not NAS, I would love to hear your experiences. Things to do, not to do, etc.!

Alternatively, if you have a car that you know you can get registered in CA, I am very interested (NAS or otherwise).
Old November 18th, 2015, 09:41 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Had a client register one in Ca earlier this year in socal. Key is the truck had to have been titled in another state first.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 18th, 2015, 10:38 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Had a client register one in Ca earlier this year in socal. Key is the truck had to have been titled in another state first.
We have the same experience with California customers - we ONLY import to the West Coast through Tacoma via RORO. (as a former CA resident with a ROW truck in CA, I had a personal interest in this issue)

Direct ROW imports don't fit into one of the checkboxes for the DOL/DMV folks in Sacramento and thus an exception requires hands-on processing - resulting in denial of registration. A truck that has been registered (title and tags) in another state for 2-years and 7500 miles falls right into the "bringing a used car into California" set of rules and is less likely to get flagged.

Anyone who brings a vehicle into California, or purchases a nonresident vehicle while in California, should be aware that some nonresident vehicles cannot be registered in California or the United States (U.S.). For rules and exceptions, see the Buying a Vehicle From Out of State-Can You Register It in California? (FFVR 29) Fast Facts brochure on the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) website at Detail

Caution: Unless the vehicle was originally manufactured to meet California emission standards or the owner or vehicle qualifies for an exemption, California law prohibits:

California residents or businesses from bringing into California or registering in California, a motor vehicle that had less than 7,500 miles on the odometer (at the time of purchase, trade, or acquisition).

Anyone from importing a new direct import vehicle less than two years old.

A smog certification from a California smog station is required for the following vehicles:
  • Gasoline powered-1976 and newer year models (motorcycles are exempt).
  • Diesel powered-1998 and newer year models that have a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) under 14,001 pounds (diesel hybrids included).
  • Natural gas or propane powered that have a GVWR under 14,001 pounds.

For an out of country vehicle to come into CA the sticking point is the fourth agency (CARB) - thus a vehicle that has been in the US and registered in another state for 2+ years is far less problematic.

What Do I Need for an Out-of-Country Vehicle?

For an out-of-country vehicle, first contact the following agencies for customs, safety, and emissions compliance requirements:
  • U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
  • U.S. Department of Transportation.
  • U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
  • California Air Resources Board.
If the vehicle is determined to be eligible for registration, documents from these agencies and normal nonresident requirements are required.
Old November 18th, 2015, 11:08 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
We have the same experience with California customers - we ONLY import to the West Coast through Tacoma via RORO. (as a former CA resident with a ROW truck in CA, I had a personal interest in this issue)

Direct ROW imports don't fit into one of the checkboxes for the DOL/DMV folks in Sacramento and thus an exception requires hands-on processing - resulting in denial of registration. A truck that has been registered (title and tags) in another state for 2-years and 7500 miles falls right into the "bringing a used car into California" set of rules and is less likely to get flagged.

Anyone who brings a vehicle into California, or purchases a nonresident vehicle while in California, should be aware that some nonresident vehicles cannot be registered in California or the United States (U.S.). For rules and exceptions, see the Buying a Vehicle From Out of State-Can You Register It in California? (FFVR 29) Fast Facts brochure on the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) website at Detail

Caution: Unless the vehicle was originally manufactured to meet California emission standards or the owner or vehicle qualifies for an exemption, California law prohibits:

California residents or businesses from bringing into California or registering in California, a motor vehicle that had less than 7,500 miles on the odometer (at the time of purchase, trade, or acquisition).
Anyone from importing a new direct import vehicle less than two years old.

Note the line above specifies NEW vehicle

A smog certification from a California smog station is required for the following vehicles:
  • Gasoline powered-1976 and newer year models (motorcycles are exempt).
  • Diesel powered-1998 and newer year models that have a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) under 14,001 pounds (diesel hybrids included).
  • Natural gas or propane powered that have a GVWR under 14,001 pounds.

For an out of country vehicle to come into CA the sticking point is the fourth agency (CARB) - thus a vehicle that has been in the US and registered in another state for 2+ years is far less problematic.

What Do I Need for an Out-of-Country Vehicle?

For an out-of-country vehicle, first contact the following agencies for customs, safety, and emissions compliance requirements:
  • U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
  • U.S. Department of Transportation.
  • U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
  • California Air Resources Board.
If the vehicle is determined to be eligible for registration, documents from these agencies and normal nonresident requirements are required.
So in theory an LPG converted 3.5 V8 or 2.5 Petrol shouldnt have issues with CARB? But i would assume it would only be legal to drive on Propane.
Old November 18th, 2015, 11:11 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
So in theory an LPG converted 3.5 V8 or 2.5 Petrol shouldnt have issues with CARB? But i would assume it would only be legal to drive on Propane.
A smog cert is required:
Natural gas or propane powered that have a GVWR under 14,001 pounds

Not certain what standards CARB would apply, or if they would acquiesce without making an owner jump through hoops…
Old November 19th, 2015, 09:06 AM
redline_r
Ridwan
1986/Land Rover 110

Honestly, I think if NAS is possible in your budget, that's a clear answer right there. Not just for registration, but even more for resale and maintenance.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Tags
nas