NAS or ROW for CA? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old November 17th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Soleimh
Status: Offline
Joseph
94/D90
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Malibu, CA, USA
Posts: 19
NAS or ROW for CA?

Hi,

New member--been researching D90's and debating about purchasing a D90 ROW vs. NAS.

I live in CA and been given a lot of advice about the diesel engines--200TDI and 2.5T are good, the rest not so good--vs. petrol V8.

I am aware of the DOT, EPA and customs docs being necessary and also know that registering is the impediment of the non-NAS Defenders. Smogging is my question-how do you get your car smogged and registered in CA??

I know that some guys never get their cars registered here (Montana, here I come?). But I live in an area where the Sheriffs track people pretty hard and suspect driving a D90 with Montana plates for more than a couple months might cause issues.

If anyone has experience bringing in a Defender into CA that is not NAS, I would love to hear your experiences. Things to do, not to do, etc.!

Alternatively, if you have a car that you know you can get registered in CA, I am very interested (NAS or otherwise).
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old November 18th, 2015, 02:11 AM
jperakis
Status: Offline
James Perakis
94 ST
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 508
short answer is that CA and ROW diesels do not mix.

You will have zero problems with a NAS truck.

There are a couple decent NAS defenders currently for sale by members of this forum.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleimh View Post
Hi,

New member--been researching D90's and debating about purchasing a D90 ROW vs. NAS.

I live in CA and been given a lot of advice about the diesel engines--200TDI and 2.5T are good, the rest not so good--vs. petrol V8.

I am aware of the DOT, EPA and customs docs being necessary and also know that registering is the impediment of the non-NAS Defenders. Smogging is my question-how do you get your car smogged and registered in CA??

I know that some guys never get their cars registered here (Montana, here I come?). But I live in an area where the Sheriffs track people pretty hard and suspect driving a D90 with Montana plates for more than a couple months might cause issues.

If anyone has experience bringing in a Defender into CA that is not NAS, I would love to hear your experiences. Things to do, not to do, etc.!

Alternatively, if you have a car that you know you can get registered in CA, I am very interested (NAS or otherwise).
__________________
remember two things...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old November 18th, 2015, 09:41 AM
Uncle Douglas's Avatar
Uncle Douglas
Status: Offline
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gods Country- Central Virginia
Posts: 11,832
Registry
Had a client register one in Ca earlier this year in socal. Key is the truck had to have been titled in another state first.
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

410.693.1391


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old November 18th, 2015, 10:38 AM
Mybluett's Avatar
Mybluett
Status: Offline
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Posts: 2,007
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Had a client register one in Ca earlier this year in socal. Key is the truck had to have been titled in another state first.
We have the same experience with California customers - we ONLY import to the West Coast through Tacoma via RORO. (as a former CA resident with a ROW truck in CA, I had a personal interest in this issue)

Direct ROW imports don't fit into one of the checkboxes for the DOL/DMV folks in Sacramento and thus an exception requires hands-on processing - resulting in denial of registration. A truck that has been registered (title and tags) in another state for 2-years and 7500 miles falls right into the "bringing a used car into California" set of rules and is less likely to get flagged.

Anyone who brings a vehicle into California, or purchases a nonresident vehicle while in California, should be aware that some nonresident vehicles cannot be registered in California or the United States (U.S.). For rules and exceptions, see the Buying a Vehicle From Out of State-Can You Register It in California? (FFVR 29) Fast Facts brochure on the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) website at Detail

Caution: Unless the vehicle was originally manufactured to meet California emission standards or the owner or vehicle qualifies for an exemption, California law prohibits:

California residents or businesses from bringing into California or registering in California, a motor vehicle that had less than 7,500 miles on the odometer (at the time of purchase, trade, or acquisition).

Anyone from importing a new direct import vehicle less than two years old.


A smog certification from a California smog station is required for the following vehicles:
  • Gasoline powered-1976 and newer year models (motorcycles are exempt).
  • Diesel powered-1998 and newer year models that have a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) under 14,001 pounds (diesel hybrids included).
  • Natural gas or propane powered that have a GVWR under 14,001 pounds.


For an out of country vehicle to come into CA the sticking point is the fourth agency (CARB) - thus a vehicle that has been in the US and registered in another state for 2+ years is far less problematic.

What Do I Need for an Out-of-Country Vehicle?

For an out-of-country vehicle, first contact the following agencies for customs, safety, and emissions compliance requirements:
  • U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
  • U.S. Department of Transportation.
  • U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
  • California Air Resources Board.
If the vehicle is determined to be eligible for registration, documents from these agencies and normal nonresident requirements are required.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old November 18th, 2015, 11:08 AM
JohnsD90's Avatar
JohnsD90
Status: Online
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 2,282
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
We have the same experience with California customers - we ONLY import to the West Coast through Tacoma via RORO. (as a former CA resident with a ROW truck in CA, I had a personal interest in this issue)

Direct ROW imports don't fit into one of the checkboxes for the DOL/DMV folks in Sacramento and thus an exception requires hands-on processing - resulting in denial of registration. A truck that has been registered (title and tags) in another state for 2-years and 7500 miles falls right into the "bringing a used car into California" set of rules and is less likely to get flagged.

Anyone who brings a vehicle into California, or purchases a nonresident vehicle while in California, should be aware that some nonresident vehicles cannot be registered in California or the United States (U.S.). For rules and exceptions, see the Buying a Vehicle From Out of State-Can You Register It in California? (FFVR 29) Fast Facts brochure on the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) website at Detail

Caution: Unless the vehicle was originally manufactured to meet California emission standards or the owner or vehicle qualifies for an exemption, California law prohibits:

California residents or businesses from bringing into California or registering in California, a motor vehicle that had less than 7,500 miles on the odometer (at the time of purchase, trade, or acquisition).
Anyone from importing a new direct import vehicle less than two years old.


Note the line above specifies NEW vehicle

A smog certification from a California smog station is required for the following vehicles:
  • Gasoline powered-1976 and newer year models (motorcycles are exempt).
  • Diesel powered-1998 and newer year models that have a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) under 14,001 pounds (diesel hybrids included).
  • Natural gas or propane powered that have a GVWR under 14,001 pounds.


For an out of country vehicle to come into CA the sticking point is the fourth agency (CARB) - thus a vehicle that has been in the US and registered in another state for 2+ years is far less problematic.

What Do I Need for an Out-of-Country Vehicle?

For an out-of-country vehicle, first contact the following agencies for customs, safety, and emissions compliance requirements:
  • U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
  • U.S. Department of Transportation.
  • U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
  • California Air Resources Board.
If the vehicle is determined to be eligible for registration, documents from these agencies and normal nonresident requirements are required.
So in theory an LPG converted 3.5 V8 or 2.5 Petrol shouldnt have issues with CARB? But i would assume it would only be legal to drive on Propane.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old November 18th, 2015, 11:11 AM
Mybluett's Avatar
Mybluett
Status: Offline
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Posts: 2,007
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
So in theory an LPG converted 3.5 V8 or 2.5 Petrol shouldnt have issues with CARB? But i would assume it would only be legal to drive on Propane.
A smog cert is required:
Natural gas or propane powered that have a GVWR under 14,001 pounds

Not certain what standards CARB would apply, or if they would acquiesce without making an owner jump through hoops…
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old November 19th, 2015, 09:06 AM
redline_r
Status: Offline
Ridwan
1986/Land Rover 110
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 89
Honestly, I think if NAS is possible in your budget, that's a clear answer right there. Not just for registration, but even more for resale and maintenance.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Tags
nas

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ROW middle row seats RiftRover For Sale - Parts 14 April 6th, 2016 09:07 AM
110 ROW Middle Row Seats ATX_D110 For Sale - Parts 5 November 28th, 2015 03:44 PM
110 ROW 2nd Row seat Cajun For Sale - Parts 3 March 27th, 2015 05:51 PM
ROW Middle Row Seats Wolf Fabrication For Sale - Parts 10 May 24th, 2011 06:00 PM
NAS 2nd row seat parts Overlander Defender Technical Discussions 4 December 5th, 2007 01:19 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 PM.


Copyright