Making a 1987,110 diesel California legal? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old April 24th, 2016, 11:39 PM
Walt Banta
Walter Banta
1972, Series III, 88

Making a 1987,110 diesel California legal?

Hello, Folks:

Having recently inquired about a 1987, 110 diesel, I am interested in "how" to make this vehicle California legal. The present owner has the vehicle on Montana plates/registration and has a Montana corporation. Is this the best option, or will this lead to "issues" with the California Cheaters Law? The Montana registration process seems "do-able," but what are the liabilities?

Walt Banta
wbanta53@gmail.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 24th, 2016, 11:51 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I wish people would start using the search feature on this forum and discover their question especially this question which gets asked every few weeks. The answer can be found. Its not possible to register diesels Land Rovers in Ca.

As for registering it out of state, but using it in California, that has to violate a whole bunch of laws and insurance law.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 25th, 2016, 02:14 AM
Elbee
Lance
1989 110 200tdi

Registry
here http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ght=california
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2016, 11:56 AM
Walt Banta
Walter Banta
1972, Series III, 88

Rocky,

Thank you for your response and for the information included. I did take a look at some of the other, related threads, and if I read/understood correctly, the majority agree with you; however, there may be a few dissenting opinions. I was/am interested in what "might" be possible so that I can follow-up on this vehicle or discount it completely. My Land Rover experience has been with the old Series vehicles, and I am a tyro when it comes to Defenders - hence, my questions and lack of understanding.

Walt Banta
wbanta53@gmail.com
Old April 25th, 2016, 12:04 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Not that this is on topic, but I would suggest not posting your name and email address. These forums are publicly searchable and it just leads to a lot more spam.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old April 25th, 2016, 01:07 PM
dcproven
David
1977 Series III 88 Santana LR

CARB will make your life hard for anything post-1979 diesel, that is the short answer. Doable? maybe, but not easy for sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 25th, 2016, 01:18 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Banta View Post
there may be a few dissenting opinions. I was/am interested in what "might" be possible so that I can follow-up on this vehicle or discount it completely.
Try it and please report back. Good luck with your venture.
Old April 25th, 2016, 01:56 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
There is always the option to move to a free state and persue your happiness in your diesel 110 unencumbered by the tyrants in Sacramento.
Old April 25th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Walt Banta
Walter Banta
1972, Series III, 88

Mr. Robinson:

I, too, have thought of that option; however, I am old, and I have lived here for sixty-three years, so I am entirely too well established to relocate, advantageous and desirable as it might be.

Perseverance may lead me to a solution, and if not, I will simply stick to driving one of the old Series machines. I am only "looking" at Defenders at this point, and I am trying to avoid biting off more than I can chew.

Thank you for your comments.
Old April 25th, 2016, 03:00 PM
roverguy2
Brian Morton
1991 Defender 110 "Blanca"

Registry
This might help some. California One Step Closer To Move Smog Exempt Cutoff Year from 1975 to 1980
Several people have posted on multiple Rover forums that they have successfully registered a diesel rover in Cali over the past few years but based on the comments it must take a lot of hard work.
I have seen a few diesel rovers come up for sale in CA but always at a premium.
Good luck in your search.
Old April 25th, 2016, 09:08 PM
Walt Banta
Walter Banta
1972, Series III, 88

Mr. Morton,

Thank you for the information, and thank you for your commentary. I have registered diesels in California before (i.e. - 1968 Dormobile diesel, 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ40, 1980 International Scout diesel), but these were more vintage vehicles. Things seem to go bad somewhere in the 1980's. However, one does not have to smog a California diesel unless it is 1998 or newer, so the problem with registering a 1987 Land Rover diesel seems mysterious. The problem seems to be with engines that California does and does not authorize.
Old May 11th, 2016, 05:46 PM
lithium1330
Chris
'97 SW NAS 4.6

Registry
IIRC, There was/is an older diesel defender for sale on the SFBA Craigslist recently. The ad claims its registered in California. Maybe worth a call to the seller. Good luck
Old May 11th, 2016, 11:30 PM
Walt Banta
Walter Banta
1972, Series III, 88

lithium 1330,

Thank you for the tip and the suggestion. The Defender I was looking at was sold to a fellow in Texas, so the issue has, in part, become mute - but - I am still interested in what is possible.

Walt

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Tags
110, diesel