Just getting started... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old May 7th, 2015, 04:11 AM
mmdcomm
Matt
1985 Ex MoD 110

Registry
Just getting started...

Hey all, I'm Matt in Northern Virginia - seem to be a number of LR folks in the area.

Anyway, I'm interested in buying an old(er) 4x4, and I've always liked the Series / Defender line, so here I am. My goals are to get a car that runs now but that I can use to learn how to work on / maintain a car (zero experience with that) and to have fun on the occasional trail ride (not looking for a daily driver).

Soooo, any advice would be appreciated, even if it's dire (like "start with something else"). Not that I'm expecting (or wanting!) that, but again, starting from zero here, after a lot of mulling it over to myself. Figured I need to get educated!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2015, 10:48 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Make sure you start out with deep pockets filled with cash. Expect that a $8-10K truck will cost you twice that over a two to three year period depending on how much you can do yourself and how much work it needs.

Even if you spend $20K on one at the start you will potentially spend upwards of $5K a year.

Welcome!!

Ps come to our Happy Hour third Thursday every month. Check out the sticky in the events thread.
Old May 7th, 2015, 02:05 PM
alecbeard
Alec Beard
1972 Series III

I'm in Charlottesville VA. There do seem to be a lot of LR people in Northern Virginia.

As I'm sure you're finding out, Defenders are ridiculously expensive. Series aren't exactly cheap, but you can still find one for under $10k. They are easy to work on, but not very modern. If you have enough money, I would recommend finding a Rover that already is in pretty good shape. Even a nice Rover will require a lot of work, so don't burden yourself with a project right away or you may never get to drive the thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2015, 05:19 PM
mmdcomm
Matt
1985 Ex MoD 110

Registry
Thanks Craig and Alec!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Make sure you start out with deep pockets filled with cash. Expect that a $8-10K truck will cost you twice that over a two to three year period depending on how much you can do yourself and how much work it needs.
I don't know about deep pockets but this is about the range (heh) I was thinking. This is really helpful though as I haven't come across much in the way of spend estimates before. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Ps come to our Happy Hour third Thursday every month. Check out the sticky in the events thread.
Will do! I assume that's the 21st this month - I'll check out the sticky for location etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecbeard View Post
I'm in Charlottesville VA. There do seem to be a lot of LR people in Northern Virginia.
I imagine you might have more trails, nearer to you, in C'ville, than we do up here [envious].

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecbeard View Post
As I'm sure you're finding out, Defenders are ridiculously expensive. Series aren't exactly cheap, but you can still find one for under $10k. They are easy to work on, but not very modern. If you have enough money, I would recommend finding a Rover that already is in pretty good shape. Even a nice Rover will require a lot of work, so don't burden yourself with a project right away or you may never get to drive the thing.
I'm not worried at all about modern amenities, if that's what you mean - I don't care about AC or radio, for example. This won't be my daily driver. And in some ways, the less modern the better, given my zero-level of experience with working on cars. I assume (and admit that could be simplistic and incorrect) that the older, the simpler.

The Defenders being expensive is a slow-rolling (but building steam) eye-opener! Some of them are so beautiful, but given my goal to learn, I'm not ready to step up to that. I know for some people, it can be a motivator to really put in a lot of money - that makes it more likely they'll work on it etc. But for me, the Series level of prices is plenty motivating! And I don't want to buy something that I've stretched to pay for, only to have to keep pouring money in.

But yeah, I know myself and know I want something that runs now, so I can enjoy it, now, while also learning basic maintenance. I figure learn basic maintenance first (on a car that runs) and learn repair as needed, hopefully not right away after buying (fingers crossed, knocking wood, etc.).

Anyway, thanks to you both! Any and all advice is greatly appreciated and welcome!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Tags
start