Introduction - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old August 6th, 2015, 01:45 AM
OverlandingMan
Graeme Bell
2003 Defender TD5 130

Introduction

Hello fellow Defenders!

My real name is Graeme and I am Captain of the 130 here at A2AExpedition. I am driving around the world in my South African 2003 Defender 130 TD5 with my equally South African wife, aka 'The Boss' and my two kids aged 10 and 16. Currently we are in Seattle waiting for our Canadian visas before we head to Alaska just in time for winter. I look forward to getting to know you guys, birds of a feather.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1503870_801425346605633_9077261880550576944_n.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	126573  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2015, 02:00 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Good luck in your travel...I just did the drive your heading into! It's getting colder at night and there are several road repaving projects going on.
Old August 6th, 2015, 02:14 AM
OverlandingMan
Graeme Bell
2003 Defender TD5 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Good luck in your travel...I just did the drive your heading into! It's getting colder at night and there are several road repaving projects going on.
Thanks Bill, I must remember to change the glow plugs, the Landy already only starts on the second crank, and she is not a fan of the cold. Neither is my wife
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2015, 03:37 AM
cowboy
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's

I'm near Seattle, welcome!...is that truck FOR SALE by any chance?
Old August 6th, 2015, 10:42 AM
OverlandingMan
Graeme Bell
2003 Defender TD5 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
I'm near Seattle, welcome!...is that truck FOR SALE by any chance?
No way Jose! She is my pride and joy (and a 2003 model so not compliant with that silly 25 year rule). Thanks for the welcome, we have become short term Seattle residents while waiting for the Canadian visas, it is a wonderful state.
Old August 6th, 2015, 10:54 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlandingMan View Post
No way Jose! She is my pride and joy (and a 2003 model so not compliant with that silly 25 year rule). Thanks for the welcome, we have become short term Seattle residents while waiting for the Canadian visas, it is a wonderful state.
Go to Elliotts for dinner one evening if you're a seafood fan. Good food and good prices!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1502.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	126593  
Old August 6th, 2015, 12:20 PM
OverlandingMan
Graeme Bell
2003 Defender TD5 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Go to Elliotts for dinner one evening if you're a seafood fan. Good food and good prices!!
As full time overlanders we don't really have the budget for restaurants, especially because my son is 16 anf 6 foot and eats like an elephant. I am looking for a good old English fish n chips shop though...
Old August 6th, 2015, 12:50 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Not sure your planned route north, but I could give some suggestions. Lots of options and never enough time but some of the out of the way choices are much nicer than the main routes.

This would be my choice up: https://goo.gl/maps/n2Nlz and you could take a different way back. Super dry in western BC this year, so best to save that for later, IMO.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old August 6th, 2015, 02:18 PM
OverlandingMan
Graeme Bell
2003 Defender TD5 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Where in Seattle are you staying? When I lived there some of my favorite places to hang out were the Ballard Locks, Gas Works park, and Golden Gardens. Walking around green lake is nice as well.

I must have missed you as you drove North, but if you find your way back in Northern California, I live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains, and have plenty of room for you to stay.

-Jeff
Hi Jeff. We are staying near Redmond, unfortunately we did not make it to California on the way up, we entered in Brownville, Texas. We will probably head through California when we come back from Canada. Maybe then we can take you up on the invitation. Sounds like a great place to hang out.
Old August 6th, 2015, 02:23 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

For anyone considering putting Graeme and family up, I can vouch for them. They stayed at our house for a week while we were in Bend and took great care of it. They are great house-sitters and very nice people!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old August 6th, 2015, 02:28 PM
OverlandingMan
Graeme Bell
2003 Defender TD5 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Not sure your planned route north, but I could give some suggestions. Lots of options and never enough time but some of the out of the way choices are much nicer than the main routes.

This would be my choice up: https://goo.gl/maps/n2Nlz and you could take a different way back. Super dry in western BC this year, so best to save that for later, IMO.
That looks like a good route Red90. We have to get our butts up to Alaska asap, too much good weather has been wasted waiting for the Canadian visas. I will share this map with Luisa, my wife and navigator.

------ Follow up post added August 6th, 2015 01:34 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
For anyone considering putting Graeme and family up, I can vouch for them. They stayed at our house for a week while we were in Bend and took great care of it. They are great house-sitters and very nice people!
Thanks Chris, you have a lovely home.
Old August 6th, 2015, 03:18 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

While up in AK be sure and visit the kenai peninsula and especially Homer and Soldotna.

Het jy 'n lekker tyd

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old August 6th, 2015, 03:53 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlandingMan View Post
As full time overlanders we don't really have the budget for restaurants, especially because my son is 16 anf 6 foot and eats like an elephant. I am looking for a good old English fish n chips shop though...
I have one of those too...I never did find a good fish and chips place. IOf you work back through Texas I'm just north of San Antonio...
Old August 6th, 2015, 04:10 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Where in Seattle are you staying? When I lived there some of my favorite places to hang out were the Ballard Locks, Gas Works park, and Golden Gardens. Walking around green lake is nice as well.

I must have missed you as you drove North, but if you find your way back in Northern California, I live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains, and have plenty of room for you to stay.

-Jeff
Careful what you wish for… They come in like sheep and leave like lions.

(kidding of course - fantastic folks and we tremendously enjoyed having them stay)

FWIW - Graeme is published and the book is well worth a read!
Old August 6th, 2015, 04:33 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

If you make it back down to Tacompton, this is the place: https://goo.gl/maps/6A2bz

/
/
/
/
Old August 6th, 2015, 07:42 PM
OverlandingMan
Graeme Bell
2003 Defender TD5 130

When we not hanging out waiting for visas we do this - a2aexpedition, Overlanding the Americas
Old August 10th, 2015, 03:16 PM
OverlandingMan
Graeme Bell
2003 Defender TD5 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
While up in AK be sure and visit the kenai peninsula and especially Homer and Soldotna.

Het jy 'n lekker tyd
Nice attempt at Afrikaans rdavisinva!

------ Follow up post added August 10th, 2015 02:17 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
If you make it back down to Tacompton, this is the place: https://goo.gl/maps/6A2bz
Making fish n chips for lunch today Chris. Cheaper and I get a massive portion

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.