Import from UK - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old January 1st, 2016, 11:21 PM
dlstevens123
David
None

Import from UK

Hello Everyone! I am a newbie here. Anyway I wanted to see if anyone had any experience buying from the dealers in the UK and importing Defender's here to the US. Anyone have any dealers they use? Thanks for the help. I have read quite a bit about importing vehicles and wanted to see if anyone had first hand experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2016, 12:20 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Grab a six pack and sit down and search "importing" "Berkshire" "Foley" "importers".

My advice would be to find something already here, plenty in the for sale section.

Good luck.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 02:16 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
X2 What Oscar said.
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2016, 02:23 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
X2 What Oscar said.
Now if you want to do it right ( and still import) Contact and hire Uncle Doug on this forum

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 08:48 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Have you looked at the Vehicles For Sale section here? There are some pretty nice trucks there,
Old January 2nd, 2016, 08:24 PM
salostuce
levi
1986 defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
X2 What Oscar said.
x3, i recently just finished importing on my own and when it comes down to it its worth the little extra youll spend buying here to save yourself the stress (and major potential downsides)
Old January 2nd, 2016, 09:42 PM
Iamkraig
Kraig
1987 defender 110

Registry
I just imported my first truck from the UK this fall.

I bought it from a "reputable" UK supplier and was given all of the contacts to do it all myself. Despite the encouragement to handle it myself from the vendor, I Had Doug do the heavy lifting. I am so glad I did, even tough I am a bonded importer and bring in 5-6 containers a year from the UK for my business. Doug was the best part of the process and made it go smooth as can be. I don't know that I would drive a truck over from Canada without Doug. He is a real pro and it is evident in the uneventful process.

The truck is substantially more rusty than I was lead to believe and the parts "not shown" in the pictures were shite. If the "easy" import process would have had the same basis in fact as the truck condition, it would be impounded and costing me hundreds of dollars a day. In short, I will never buy another truck i don't see in person and would never import without Dividing Creek.

Hope this helps.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 09:47 PM
dlstevens123
David
None

Thanks everyone for the advice. I really appreciate it.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 09:55 PM
cowboy
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's

Florida seems to have more used D's than any other state...& one of a mere handful of states that has a renowned indy Defender/Series specialty shop for your resto, upgrades, etc. Why look elsewhere?
Old January 5th, 2016, 12:44 PM
Sammyadams
Tim Barker
1990 200TDI Defender90

I am also a newbie and I am currently in the process of working with Will at DefendersDirectUK to import a 1990 LHD TDI D90 that spent its life in Italy.
I am still a ways away from seeing it in person but so far the process has been good.
There is no doubt it is a scary proposition to import something that you've never seen.
Will uses Uncle Douglas to bring them over and Uncle Douglas has endorsed DD on this board. I've talked to someone else who used them to get a 110 who is stationed in England right now and he has also been happy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Tags
import