Hi from SF Bay Area - AW D90 NAS - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old April 19th, 2016, 11:55 PM
lithium1330
Chris
'97 SW NAS 4.6

Registry
Hi from SF Bay Area - AW D90 NAS

Hi everyone! I just took delivery of a 1997 D90 NAS! This truck is so much fun!
I've never owned an English car... and I always joke with friend who have Land Rovers/Range Rovers that they like to troubleshoot electrical problems (I hope karma doesn't come back and bite me on this one).
I grew up in an English colony, and as a kid, I saw many D90 outfitted police cars. They were cool! Hence, I tie my aspiration to buy a D90 to police & military vehicles I saw when I was a little kid.

Anyways, I spent a few hours learning about the truck after delivery - checking oil, trans fluid - both appear to be new/clean. The air filter appears to be K&N... I'll probably replace that with OE paper filter.

I found a couple of interesting things (and things I could use insight from seasoned owners)... like an extra gas tank! I'll post my question on the technical forum.

It would be great to meet up with other owners in the Bay Area.... maybe do brunch at Alice's one weekend!

Here are a couple of pix of the Alpine White...

Extra gas tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2016, 12:01 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

How do you fill the extra tank?
Old April 20th, 2016, 12:08 AM
thehundredth
PJ
1995 D90 Beluga Black

Hello from southern cal. Welcome aboardthumb:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2016, 12:21 AM
lithium1330
Chris
'97 SW NAS 4.6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viton View Post
How do you fill the extra tank?
I think via this filler neck in the rear wheel well. However, when I opened the cap, there seem to be rust in the neck...so, I am not sure about filling it.

Old April 20th, 2016, 12:39 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

How does the gas get delivered to the engine from the spare gas tank?
Is there a transfer switch or pump that pumps it into the main tank?
On the '97's, the vent & gas systems systems would have to be interconnected or you would get a check engine light (CEL) as if the gas cap was off the main tank.
Old April 20th, 2016, 01:04 AM
lithium1330
Chris
'97 SW NAS 4.6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viton View Post
How does the gas get delivered to the engine from the spare gas tank?
Is there a transfer switch or pump that pumps it into the main tank?
On the '97's, the vent & gas systems systems would have to be interconnected or you would get a check engine light (CEL) as if the gas cap was off the main tank.
There appears to be a transfer pump... but I've not found how it's activated. Of course, as I was filling the main tank up tonight, I found a small leak, due to crack in the line. So, i'll have to get that line replaced soon.
Can you help me identify which line that is - it goes/disappears to the top of the main tank. Or so it seems.
It appears the previous owner cut and tap this line for the aux tank. you can see in the picture one line going towards aux tank, the other connects to the pump.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tank pump.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	147703
Old April 20th, 2016, 01:26 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Nice truck. You'll love the extended range! Does your passenger side seat box also contain part of the fuel tank, or is the entire tank all below the body?
Old April 20th, 2016, 02:28 AM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

Nice score! You should check out NCLR (Nor Cal Land Rover) Club. I'm one of the Directors. We have some type of get together every month. I'm in Livermore with my 110, always nice to get some more Defenders in the club!

Chris

Norcalrovers.org
Old April 20th, 2016, 12:09 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

The big black filler hose goes to the side of the main tank, move things around a little and you should see the hose clamp holding it on. Trevor @ Rovahfarm will have a replacement.

Looks like they did a decent job of interconnecting the tanks. What you see here is the little pump pulling fuel from the AUX tank and dumping it down the main air vent hose to the main tank. That pump should be pumping about 1 gallon a minute. With the size of the AUX tank, i think I'd wait to transfer to the main tank until the fuel gauge registered 1/4 or less. The 4.0 in your truck will get you maybe 15mpg. So on a full main tank, the range is about 210 miles. The main tank only holds about 15 gallons. Can't tell from the Pic if the gas gets filtered before or after the pump, before would be the best situation
Once you locate the switch that activates the pump, I think I would disconnect the output hose on the pump and see what quality of gas comes out, maybe add a couple of gallons of fresh gas and pump it though the pump & filter to see how clean it's coming out. The little inline filter may need to be changed. You may need to drop the AUX tank & clean it out, a cup of small gravel dumped into it w/ a 1/2 gallon of gas, shake it a lot then pour it all out to see what you get. The gravel will help break-up any reasonable loose rust particles to remove.
Another concern I see is that the AUX tank seems to hang a little low for a serious off-roading, have the guys at the NCLC help you out with this assessment of your tanks ground clearance.
Old April 20th, 2016, 10:57 PM
lithium1330
Chris
'97 SW NAS 4.6

Registry
Thanks a ton, Viton! Very insightful & useful information.
I don't think the out of state dealer knew the tank was there, and i was surprised to find it upon delivery.
The tank appears fit the truck well... so, I am searching the web in hope of finding the manufacturer.

When I have some time, I'll trace that white wire from the pump to see where switch is located. I didn't see anything obviously just yet. I'll post more here as I unpack this treasure trove.
Thanks again!
Old April 20th, 2016, 11:32 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I agree that you definitely want to get the auxiliary tank and its connections thoroughly vetted for safety before use.

Also take a look at these two tech articles. Not the location of the filler in this first article, using a series set up. That would be preferable to the half assed job you have now. http://www.defendersource.com/mod/gas.html
http://www.defendersource.com/mod/side_tank/index.html

Another way to fashion a filler is to use the ROW style unit as seen on pre Td5 Defenders.
Old April 21st, 2016, 12:21 AM
lithium1330
Chris
'97 SW NAS 4.6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
Nice truck. You'll love the extended range! Does your passenger side seat box also contain part of the fuel tank, or is the entire tank all below the body?
finally opened up the passenger seat box tonight and found only an ECU and a small silver box (amp looking thing) were inside. So, entire tank is under the body.
Old April 21st, 2016, 12:56 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
That's good! It's nice to have, but knowing it is completely removable (not cut into the seatbox) is even better.
Old April 21st, 2016, 01:07 AM
phil.
phil
1995 Defender 90 SW #317/500

Registry
Welcome. I'm in the Bay Area too and like El Solis a member of NCLR. I picked up an AW 95 D90 not too long ago.
1995 alpine white NAS D90 SW #317/500
2006 java black range rover sport
Old April 21st, 2016, 01:27 AM
lithium1330
Chris
'97 SW NAS 4.6

Registry
Nice to meet you, Phil! Hope to meet up with other D90 owners soon!

@D90Overkill - for sure! I plan to use the truck for road & camping trips to remote locations (no rock crawling), so getting the aux tank going (without a lot of $) will be nice. But if it becomes a money pit, I am OK to just drop the tank and revert back.

On that aux fuel tank... did more searching, it looks like the tank might be from the, now defunct, Rover Accessories?
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...tml#post325487

I also think I may have found the fuel pump switch near the dash illumination switch (and actually also using a dash illumination switch). I'll confirm once i have daylight to trace the wire.
Old April 21st, 2016, 02:19 AM
kelvinite
Kelvin
1997 D90 SW

Congrats on the D90, Chris!
Old April 21st, 2016, 02:25 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Check for PM's in the upper right hand of the forum screen.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Tags
90, d90, nas