Hi from Edinburgh - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old June 26th, 2016, 08:51 AM
Marie
Marie
Defender 1989

Hi from Edinburgh

Hi guys, I bought my son an old defender 1989 model, initially it was to be his project to restore but I seem to have inherited it! Kids eh! Lol
Googling for parts is a nightmare! I'm looking for 3 new doors and I'm being quoted from 107- 497 each! Any tips will be gladly received.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2016, 09:05 AM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
If I could buy new doors in the States for 107GBP, I'd buy an extra set for spares.

Keep looking. Asking on Defender sites such as this one is the best way to find good deals.

Mike
Old June 26th, 2016, 09:21 AM
Marie
Marie
Defender 1989

Hi Mike, I thought that sounded cheap! It was on eBay so I'm always wary there. I'll keep searching. Any tips on what not to do to it?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2016, 09:35 AM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Welcome to the Defender Source. There are a lot of friendly people here who want to help you keep Defenders on the road.

Much depends on your skills, experience and budget. Do you want to restore to factory new or a high price hot rod? Or just make it presentable and reliable?

Read through old postings here, especially detailed reports of major projects. These will give you inspiration about your goals and exactly what you are getting into. It is no fun getting in over your head, but successfully completing a difficult project is highly rewarding!

Mike
Old June 26th, 2016, 09:44 AM
Marie
Marie
Defender 1989

Fun

I'm actually quite enjoying all the searching for parts etc and chatting to people who have actually restored them. I'm doing it for my son (18y) defenders are really cool for that age to drive in Scotland. I own a van hire company so have the mechanic who can do all the work and friend is a spray painter ( they have both been advising me)
I keep looking at Larra Croft type parts but my son wants it to look big and manly! Whatever that means lol
Old June 26th, 2016, 11:11 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
I'm actually quite enjoying all the searching for parts etc and chatting to people who have actually restored them. I'm doing it for my son (18y) defenders are really cool for that age to drive in Scotland. I own a van hire company so have the mechanic who can do all the work and friend is a spray painter ( they have both been advising me) I keep looking at Larra Croft type parts but my son wants it to look big and manly! Whatever that means lol
Make it run reliably and then start with the upgrades. Otherwise you'll end up with something that's all show and no go.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old June 26th, 2016, 11:41 AM
Marie
Marie
Defender 1989

Jason

Hi Jason, thanks for the input. The engine runs great and had a complete overhaul, I've got new axels being fitted today and 4 new springs. The body is the worst part, needs just about everything ; (
Think this is definitely going to be a fun project but an expensive one!
Old June 26th, 2016, 11:51 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Depends on which type of door you are looking for.

If your truck has the two part doors, the lowers are 48 pounds.
Front Row Doors

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 26th, 2016, 07:47 PM
GunnyUSMC
Eric
1991 Defender 90 200TDI

Registry
Marie,
If you are on Facebook, there are plenty of Land Rover Groups, some deal specifically with parts. Maybe there is even a Edinburgh group so you don't have to travel to far to get parts.

Cheers,
Eric
Old June 26th, 2016, 07:53 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
Hi guys, I bought my son an old defender 1989 model, initially it was to be his project to restore but I seem to have inherited it! Kids eh! Lol
Googling for parts is a nightmare! I'm looking for 3 new doors and I'm being quoted from 107- 497 each! Any tips will be gladly received.
Thanks
Marie:
Welcome from Edinburgh ...
Send some pictures of your "sons" project.
Enjoy your inherited 110.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old June 28th, 2016, 03:53 AM
Marie
Marie
Defender 1989

Hi Eric, I'll look on Facebook now thanks. Robert I'll post the pics I have just now, you will see the amount of work I need to do to it but think it will be worth it.
Old June 28th, 2016, 06:55 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

You might also want to throw out a net and check out local scrap yards for good quality used doors
Doors from any year defender will work, and be complete with glass, interior, maybe even electric windows depending on year.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.