Helloooo- Expat living in Oxford! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old January 24th, 2016, 02:45 PM
gabedm
Gabe
None

Talking Helloooo- Expat living in Oxford!

Hi guys & gals, I live in Oxford UK right now but I am from Miami. I want to buy a Defender shortly and have been scouring the local gumtree/autotraders for some decent ones, but my goal is to bring one back to the states with me, so I am looking at +25yr old ones for that reason.

Any tips about selecting the correct model so I don't meet the crusher? I live in FL and have quite decent knowledge of japanese car importing rules, but it seems these defenders are kinda the hot ticket, causing the feds to get shady.

Can I get the 411 on this?

Also, anyone local in oxford have a cheap +25yr old 90 for sale? I guess I will check the threads.

Cool community here it seems!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2016, 03:16 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
How long you in the UK for? Get one that will be legal when you get back...so unless you are moving back tomorrow, it does not have to be 25+. It just has to be 25+ and original when you are moving back.
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old January 24th, 2016, 03:21 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Check for loopholes in the law. I am pretty sure there is a way for you to bring a younger than 25 year old vehicle into the States, if you have owned it for a certain amount of time in the UK. Several different people I know have mentioned this, and have said they have done it. But I've never personally looked into it, so....

I'll be coming through Oxford this summer. I'm not going to be looking for a vehicle, but I'm open minded. And if my wife doesn't catch on to my Gumtree searches... who knows what detours I might take while there.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2016, 03:51 PM
gabedm
Gabe
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorUtah View Post
How long you in the UK for? Get one that will be legal when you get back...so unless you are moving back tomorrow, it does not have to be 25+. It just has to be 25+ and original when you are moving back.
Eh I really don't have a return date. I am working here and will most likely get my second contract so might be a few years... regardless I wanna ship one over so I can drive it when I am home, and stuff, let my pops drive it while im gone etc..

Most of the cars I see for sale are older than 91 anyway so thats fine really.

Any tips for what I should look for? Ex. only these models of 90s and 110s are available for import etc.. or is it just anything goes?

Which engines are the least problematic? I see a lot of TD models but I hear the V8 is the popular one in the states, assuming there are some interchangeable parts with other land rover models...?
Old January 24th, 2016, 04:02 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I got an original LHD from the UK, via Canada. If you are going to do the conversion when you get here, that would save you some money.

200/300 Tdi are a plus.

No rust.

Anything goes over 25 years old.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old January 24th, 2016, 04:43 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Take a read of this: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...etc-13713.html

But first decide what your needs really are, take your time, don't be afraid to reject the dogs or ones with questionable vins as well as vintage....
Old March 1st, 2016, 04:02 PM
GunnyUSMC
Eric
1991 Defender 90 200TDI

Registry
I lived in the UK for 2 years and are going back next week. I have shipped 3 back total. Join some of the Land Rover Facebook pages. You have a better chance of finding something for sale on those. I will be in Huntingdon,Cambridgeshire which isn't really far from Oxford. If you have any questions shoot me a PM.

Eric
Old March 1st, 2016, 04:52 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
You should definitely get ahold of Uncle Douglas to import the truck for you he will let you know what will fly and what won't and handle all the paper work.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Tags
vin