hello members - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old January 31st, 2016, 09:22 AM
m009490
David
looking

Smile hello members

Dear members
It is a pleasure to join you and take my first step into the Land Rover world.
I am a Scot, emigrating in a few months to the United States to join my dear wife who is from AR.
I am not a mechanic, but a surgeon and want to learn a little more about about cars and mechanical engineering and develop a new hobby. I wanted to combine a rebuild project and something of the old country in my new life in the US. I have a nostalgia for Land Rover from military days and after plenty research think a defender rebuild/restoration would be a good choice for me. I have joined the forum to learn from others experience and expertise and educate myself about the defender and its heritage.

My first goal is to decide how best to proceed in acquiring an appropriate vehicle and that is where I start today.

I have understood in detail the process and pitfalls of importing a vehicle from outside the US and perhaps the need for a reliable importer/facilitator etc. Ive also understood the issues of registration and VIN integrity to rebuild projects and the variable integrity of some folks trying to make money at our expense. I do not wish to build a 'modern' defender such as seen with companies like Arkonik, but rather enjoy the restoration process, research and build myself, and as faithfully as possible/reasonable retain the personality and essence of the Defender with discrete upgrades or modernising.

It would be my preference to have the final vehicle as a canvas roof or removable hard top. Eventually we would use it for fun and pottering to the farm, nice (non rainy) commute days, camping trips etc. Not the Sahara (just yet). Im not that excited about 500HP engine up grades and as a medic i'm not sure the Land Rover is designed to hit a tree at 80mph! A vehicle that is drivable before the project is desirable but not essential. I do live within a short drive to Withams in the UK but don't really know enough to make a value decision on selecting a truck there. Some help in vehicle procurement would work

So, here we go lads and lasses, where would everyone start if they could vicariously live a rebuild project through me.

1. 90 or 110?
2. LHD or RHD?
3. Import or buy in the USA?
4. Military vehicle or civvy?
5. Reliable procurement/import services
4. In what range should I pay for an honest truck for restoration?

thank you every one for your thoughts
D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2016, 09:31 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Welcome David, my wife is also from AR.... she'll never go back!

Lots of questions in your 1st post; how much time and money do you want to delegate to this new interest??

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old January 31st, 2016, 09:31 AM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by m009490 View Post
So, here we go lads and lasses, where would everyone start if they could vicariously live a rebuild project through me.

1. 90 or 110?
2. LHD or RHD?
3. Import or buy in the USA?
4. Military vehicle or civvy?
5. Reliable procurement/import services
4. In what range should I pay for an honest truck for restoration?

thank you every one for your thoughts
D
Congrats! The hunt is half the fun.

1. 90 or 110? Personal preference. I find the 90 to be more fun to drive.My 110 is a 3 door.
2. LHD or RHD? I prefer LHD since that is the side we drive on here, and if you decide to sell get a few more dollars.
3. Import or buy in the USA? I would find the best original 200TDI Defender you can find over there and import. Or there are guys here that can get you one. Johan on the board seems to get nice ones and he prices them well.
4. Military vehicle or civvy? I prefer civilian spec.
5. Reliable procurement/import services. Uncle Doug for importing. (Search the forum...many references - I used him). As far as procurement I am sure many here can help you find something over there. LOL!
4. In what range should I pay for an honest truck for restoration? The vary wildly depending on the quality and the seller.

Sorry, I know my answers are not much help. You might try searching Defender importing on Google. More than likely it will direct you to one of our forum threads.
Good luck and have fun with it.
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2016, 09:38 AM
m009490
David
looking

Hello Jeff
Thank you for the welcome.
My goal is two years, I will have around 20 hours a week.
Budget is whats required and fair.
D

------ Follow up post added January 31st, 2016 08:39 AM ------

Andrew
Thank you for the reply and welcome.
Ive seen Johans name on the forum and of course Uncle Doug seems to be a deity!
will seek them out.
D
Old January 31st, 2016, 10:12 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Welcome David.... go test drive as many different defender variations as you can.. i hear they are plentiful where you come from
Old January 31st, 2016, 10:35 AM
m009490
David
looking

thank you John
I appreciate the reply
D
Old January 31st, 2016, 10:49 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
I was half kidding...you won't really know what you want till you drive them...and almost inevitably you will end up with multiple rovers because they dont all do everything well. the 90 is more fun to drive the 110 is better at hauling the kids and the gear...love the series on the weekends to putt around etc etc....My wife will ask why do you have so many rovers...my response... "why do you have so many different pairs of shoes?"
Old January 31st, 2016, 11:33 AM
m009490
David
looking

the correct number is always n+1

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.