Hello from Wisconsin! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old July 24th, 2015, 10:36 PM
Wschnitz
William
BMW 325is :P

Hello from Wisconsin!

Thought I'd finally stop lurking and make an actual account here, I've been a BMW guy for the last 5 years, owning many 1980s BMWs, more then I can count on my fingers. Currently on a 1989 BMW 325is.

Im hoping to buy a 80s 90/D90 sometime soon, but dont exactly get all the differences between them yet, I see 85s that are selling for double 89s, but look exactly the same? Different metal parts?

Also want to learn how easy they are to maintain, My BMW is pretty hands off, just do regular maintenance, fix the simple things that usually break, and it never dies.

Ill have fun chatting with you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2015, 12:08 AM
TMWTP
Jon
1989 One Ten

Registry
I escaped MKE (Marquette alum) for CO in '98. But, I still get back there for a Kopp's burger every now and then.
'12 Rockware 3-seat rock buggy - FOR SALE!
'13 LR4 - FOR SALE!
'83 110 - FOR SALE!
Old July 25th, 2015, 12:58 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMWTP View Post
I escaped MKE (Marquette alum) for CO in '98. But, I still get back there for a Kopp's burger every now and then.
Mmmm, Kopp's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2015, 01:12 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
These are not "hands off" vehicles. Keep lurking and learning and welcome to the forum.
Old July 25th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Wschnitz
William

I guess hands off wasn't the correct term, I mainly mean service and small repairs are not paramount when thry appear, if i can just take care of it and it will be for the most part reliable. Usually the BMW wont break down, ever, something can go wrong but it'll still make it home every time. If the defender is close to being that I'd be fine, I'm not a great mechanic but I'm not a noob, I've done plenty of rebuilds, driveshafts work, etc.

I really still don't see the difference between these 85s and 89s etc. Do some have more alinum or galvanized metal then later ones?
Old July 25th, 2015, 10:18 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

These are extremely simple machines. If the PM is kept up there's not a lot that will leave you dead in the water.
Old July 25th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Wschnitz
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
These are extremely simple machines. If the PM is kept up there's not a lot that will leave you dead in the water.
That's what I'm after. I'm no stranger to European/British costs/etc and have no problem with getting my hands dirty as often as I can.
Old July 25th, 2015, 10:34 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

In terms of model variations engine changes etc there is a ton of decent information out there on sites and in books.
Rovers North has good solid history section as do many other companies such as Atlantic British.
Both companies can find you a local club or two so you can get to know these vehicles first hand.
Books: James Taylor (not the singer)is a well known historian on the brand.
Welcome on board the Rover train.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 25th, 2015, 11:57 AM
ionfender
IO
94 NAS D90, #1379 (SOLD)

Registry
Welcome William!!

I'm new here as well, and also a Wisconsinite (and a Marquette alum like TMWTP!).

I'm not your go to person for mechanical expertise, but just wanted to let you know I'm in the area. I haven't found a ton of Defender owners in WI yet, but I've located a few.
Old July 25th, 2015, 11:58 AM
Wschnitz
William

Yeah it seems like I'll be heading to the east coast when I find one. They all seem to be over there. Guessing that's where the major importers of them are located.
Old July 25th, 2015, 12:51 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Don't neglect looking for one out West or the Southwest as they have a tendency to be more rust free than an Eastern truck that has been driven during the winters. What you are looking for is one with as rust free frame and bulkhead as possible. Then other areas such as door bottoms, etc... I will also say that there are several vendors here on the board that may currently have what you are looking for. You will more likely than not get far more honest and up front information on the good, bad and ugly of a vehicle. If I ever buy another one it will be from a board member/vendor only.

Cheers.
Raub
Old July 25th, 2015, 12:55 PM
Wschnitz
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Don't neglect looking for one out West or the Southwest as they have a tendency to be more rust free than an Eastern truck that has been driven during the winters. What you are looking for is one with as rust free frame and bulkhead as possible. Then other areas such as door bottoms, etc... I will also say that there are several vendors here on the board that may currently have what you are looking for. You will more likely than not get far more honest and up front information on the good, bad and ugly of a vehicle. If I ever buy another one it will be from a board member/vendor only.

Cheers.
Raub
Yeah I was actually interested in one I saw here on the board and craigslist. A blue country 2.5TD with a bunch of cheaper mods on it. Loomed like a decent starter vehicle with minimal rust.

I do kinda plan on stripping the car and por15 the frame and bulkhead if I can, to protect it from the salt.
Old July 27th, 2015, 08:48 AM
lennix
Lennie
1993/Defender Tdi200

Welcome Wschnitz.. Im uncertain whether there may be other variations in the State but over here the early 85’ is seen as a better year for the 110 that the 89’. When relaunched as Defender in 90’, this seemed to rapidly change for the better. From personal experience we bought two 89’ pick-ups. These had the Diesel NA engine, and I remember them both having nagging engine-related problems right from the start. Before reaching 100.000 km they had both undergone complete engine overhauls and one was eventually converted to Tdi200 while the other was written off. In the meantime we had a similarly engined 86’ 110 that had done in excess of 200.000 km by the time this pair was bought (they had been standing in the showroom a couple of years). In fact this vehicle still remains with its original engine to this day albeit overhauled a couple of times since.
Old July 29th, 2015, 01:18 PM
Wschnitz
William

Yeah Im interested in a TDI in the first place, but im not super afraid of the NA engines.
Old August 8th, 2015, 10:36 PM
Wschnitz
William

Bumping my own thread to ask a question, is anyone in the midwest area that would be willing to show me their 90/110 or defender? Want to kinda check one out in person, sit in one, etc just check it out to double check its what im looking for. And if it is just to kinda hang out and get to know what to look for on them.
Old August 8th, 2015, 11:44 PM
ionfender
IO
94 NAS D90, #1379 (SOLD)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wschnitz View Post
Bumping my own thread to ask a question, is anyone in the midwest area that would be willing to show me their 90/110 or defender? Want to kinda check one out in person, sit in one, etc just check it out to double check its what im looking for. And if it is just to kinda hang out and get to know what to look for on them.
William - I'd be happy to let you take a look at my 90. I'm about 1.5 hours from Milwaukee. PM me and we can chat if you're interested.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.