Hello from Washingon state! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old September 3rd, 2015, 01:21 PM
Adventure Rider
Jon
None(yet)

Hello from Washingon state!

Hello everyone, thought I'd say hi and get my first post out of the way. I'm obviously new to the forum and to Defenders as well. I would consider myself a "car guy" and have been lusting after Defenders for about 25 years... It's time to own one and am currently looking for my first.

Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 3rd, 2015, 01:46 PM
ATX_D110
Victor
1985 RHD D110 (SOLD)

Welcome - What are your preferences and budget?
Old September 3rd, 2015, 02:12 PM
cowboy
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Rider View Post
Hello everyone, thought I'd say hi and get my first post out of the way. I'm obviously new to the forum and to Defenders as well. I would consider myself a "car guy" and have been lusting after Defenders for about 25 years... It's time to own one and am currently looking for my first.

Jon
Hi, welcome. Are you looking for a 90 or a 110? You might want to read the "Whats Legal" thread b4 you spend any time lusting over any of the rigs in Vancouver or Victoria Craigslist. Lamorna Garage in Ballard claims to have right hand drive to left hand drive conversion capability & quotes a relatively reasonable price for it, but I'd check with Defenders NW in Gig Harbor, too. And they'll both do a pre-pchse inspection for you, no doubt. Johan here on DS seems to be a great source for LHD Defenders. The "Dailylister" website does national Craigslist searches. I held out for LHD/v8/neutral color paint & a seller who was willing to take it to Lamorna or DNW for an inspection, but that's just me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 3rd, 2015, 04:14 PM
Adventure Rider
Jon
None(yet)

Thanks for the replys!

Budget and preference? I'd prefer a 90, but am open to a 110. My main concern is a good running gear and as little rust issues as possible (like everyone). Cosmetics would be nice, but I'm interested in a daily driver, not a centerpiece or collector. I drive and ride everything I own. It needs to be a hardtop however. Budget is up in the air, but I'm not spending 60or 70k. Don't care about LHD or RHD. CLEAN TITLE...

I've paid attention to many of the legal and import issues, not an expert by any means but not oblivious either.

I have friends who swear by Lamorna in Ballard!
Old September 3rd, 2015, 04:33 PM
cowboy
steven

Quote:
Don't care about LHD or RHD.
I looked at it like this: It' been decades & decades since I started driving, so I'm now hard-wired to drive LHD. I assume that means that I'm much more skilled (& safer) with LHD. And resale on something that I'll ultimately have tens & tens of thousands of $ in?

Anyway, are you wanting diesel or petrol?
Old September 3rd, 2015, 04:36 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
+1 for attending the ABFM. You will learn a lot there, and meet some great people.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 05:32 PM
Adventure Rider
Jon
None(yet)

Steven- Great point! I'm open to diesel or gas, would prefer gas.

Unfortunately, work will keep me in the area this weekend
Old September 3rd, 2015, 05:55 PM
cowboy
steven

One other thing to keep in mind: the 4-speeds on the '83's & '84's apparently don't have rebuild kits available anywhere. I had to live on the internet for a day to even find a diagram of one.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 06:28 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:

Jon
Jon,

Come on down when you can and we will get you some drive time in a few different trucks - most are Tdi though (as I'm a bit biased) but we usually have 6-10 trucks in the shop on any given day, and more often than not there is an owner or two hanging out and working on their truck as well.

brian@defendersnw.com
Old September 3rd, 2015, 09:15 PM
Adventure Rider
Jon
None(yet)

I'll definitely take you up on that!
Old September 3rd, 2015, 10:11 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Just going to say you need to hitch a ride down to ABFM this weekend. Welcome to the site!

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.