Hello from Suffolk, UK - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old July 3rd, 2015, 01:05 PM
Mr Nasty
james
2005 Td5 110 double cab

Hello from Suffolk, UK

Just thought I would join, always interested in the US perspective Landys. Currently have a Td5 110 double cab which went to the Sahara Desert and back in 3 weeks, covered 6000 miles and had no issues!

So, hello
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 3rd, 2015, 01:24 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Nasty View Post
Just thought I would join, always interested in the US perspective Landys. Currently have a Td5 110 double cab which went to the Sahara Desert and back in 3 weeks, covered 6000 miles and had no issues! So, hello
Hello Nasty! Welcome to the mad house of ridiculously overpriced defenders ...

So you have any photos of the Sahara ... ? Did you go down via morocco? Would be interested to know rough costs as I'm thinking about taking my NAS 90 to Europe for a while ... Would be an amazing adventure.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old July 3rd, 2015, 01:27 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Hello Nasty! Welcome to the mad house of ridiculously overpriced defenders ...

So you have any photos of the Sahara ... ? Did you go down via morocco? Would be interested to know rough costs as I'm thinking about taking my NAS 90 to Europe for a while ... Would be an amazing adventure.
I too am interested. I had this same discussion last week with a fellow board member.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 3rd, 2015, 03:04 PM
Mr Nasty
james
2005 Td5 110 double cab

Overpriced is one way of putting it.

Morocco, hmmmm, JUST GO DO IT!!!!

The cost of me driving from the UK, through France and then Spain including the channel tunnel one way was about 500, $778 and took 30 hours with no stopping other for fuel.

Following day we took a ferry from Alcerias yo Tanger Med, which was 160, $249

Mandatory Morocco vehicle insurance was 90, $140 for one months cover, which is just a legal thing really, as its just 3rd party cover, simple, don't have a crash.

Getting your truck in, if you go by the internet horror stories of having to wait for hours whilst being hounded by locals all turned out to be untrue at Tanger Med port, you have to get a composted number stamped in your passport which then that number ties up with the number on the temporary import paperwork for the vehicle, I think it;s called a D16, simply fill it in on-line before you arrive, and just make sure the owner of the truck is you and your name is on all paperwork and matching thereafter and you will no no issues. Something I wish I had of known was to get this composted number from the little police booths before I went to the customs and immigration section as I had to leave the Landy and run back to the police hut, which by now had other Europeans in 4x4s waiting to get a stamp in there passports, no big deal.

Do not loose, eat, give away, destroy the paperwork given back to you concerning your truck,as you wont have a lot of fun trying to leave Morocco without it, as they have 400% import duty on all goods, and seem to be paranoid that you will sell your car over there without paying the mental duty.

Because of the stupidly high import duty, new Land Rover parts or any parts for that matter are really expensive, so I took everything I thought I might need from drive shafts, spare ECU, sensors, wheel bearings etc oils and consumables though are cheap, especially the fuel, well by European price standards anyway.

The fuel is decent quality too, my Td5 is remapped to 180 hp, and I was told it wont be that tolerant to crap grades of diesel, but again, any negatives I heard were unfounded, even right down south the fuel stations are modern (ish) with quality fuel.

We off roaded for 2500 miles through rough tracks, sand dunes and then along the Atlantic coast, there are no off roading rules, you can simply make your own trails and go where ever you feel like, unless you go near what is called the Burm which runs between Algeria and Morocco border, its simply a 20 feet high barrier of sand which is mined and separates the two countries right down to the border of the Western Sahara.

We got the Northern part of Morocco out of the way in day one as its very green and bit too European , and started our off roading at Fez, to Zagora, Tata, Tan Tan, Samara, Tiznit, then back up to Tanger Med along an immaculate freeway network, we spent 16 days in Morocco, crossing dunes, river gorges, fist sized rubble fields etc.

I can honestly say, that I've never seen so much nothing in my life.

Having been to different countries in the Middle East, Morocco without doubt feels the safest, the people down south in the desert really are not that interested in you, sure some of them will turn up in a middle of a desert and try to sell you some tat, but they usually go away as quick as they arrived, lots of kids will constantly beg from you though, you'll be in the middle of nothingness, not seeing anybody for hours and then you see kids just standing at the side of a track begging for anything.

Biggest costs of the trip for me were crossing Europe, ferry and channel tunnel crossing, 16 days in Morocco I spent, 450, $700 as we were nowhere near any cities, I did not need any recovery or parts, and we took all our own food, money went on fuel, water, cokes, beer, and cigarettes which are dirt cheap.

Next time I go, I wont haul so many parts and tools, no need for 5 20 litre jerry cans, two spare wheels, all just added weight and were never used, as I bought my 2005 Td5 110 for this trip and was in good shape, I then replaced everything on it, sensors, clutch, flywheel, brakes, rad, suspension bushes, suspension, steering blah blah, took me 6 months to prep it, the paranoid anal in me paid off, as I never needed anything, not even a little top up of oil or coolant. Prep is the key! Oh and a proper compressor fridge for beers and coke.

Take beer with you from Spain, we took 100 cans and ran out on day 10, and whilst the Moroccan people don't care if you drink, its just hard to find beer away from the cities, we found some for sale at a hotel and got fleeced, but hey ho, can't go without that.

So much to say about a Morocco expedition, but to sum up, I spent about 2200, and my friend spent about 500, $4200, but like I said a big chunk of that was getting from the UK across Europe and back, I got a ferry/ cruise ship back from Spain which was 500 plus the money I spent on beer in the bar.

Some of my pics are on FB

https://www.facebook.com/randal.flagg.963

Just ask away, if I rambled on. but I definitely going to go again.

------ Follow up post added July 3rd, 2015 01:13 PM ------

My photobucket, More Morocco pics

mrnasty6's Library | Photobucket
Old July 3rd, 2015, 04:02 PM
jpc1818
james
1998 D1/06 LR3 HSE HD/16RRS Diesel

Hello from Suffolk NY

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.