Hello from Southwest France. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old March 31st, 2015, 12:23 PM
x-pat
Hank Petterson
1989 110 Country

Registry
Hello from Southwest France.

I'm originally from Maine -then Boston -then Los Angeles.
I just bought a 1989 110 Country diesel turbo. High mileage but all there, and it will be my project to restore it to original-ish condition.

Below is a before photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	landy.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	117373  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2015, 12:47 PM
myoverlandrover
josh

From one Mainer to another hi! Nice defender
Old April 2nd, 2015, 08:27 PM
mcleodsd
Stephen McLeod

Hello Pat

I too live in the south-west of France - at Mezos. I bought a new Defender 90 last year and joined this site yesterday. Nice to make your acquaintance.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2015, 01:20 PM
x-pat
Hank Petterson
1989 110 Country

Registry
Hello Back from x-pat ( Hank )

Hello Josh.
Thanks for saying Hi. I get back to Maine every other year...too long in my opinion. Hope winter relents up there.

Cheers Hank

Hello Steve,
Congrats on the 90. Would love to see it sometime. I have an ancient (comparatively speaking) 110.
It is at the start point of a long slow renovation. Good luck with the stereo conundrum. And enjoy Australia.

Cheers Hank
Old April 4th, 2015, 09:09 PM
myoverlandrover
josh

Its been a long winter here...had almost five feet standing a month ago and were digging out windows. Doubt I'll ever see that again! Hows the defender market in France? I always hear about England, Spain, Italy but never France?

What part of maine are you from?

All the best
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-pat View Post
Hello Josh.
Thanks for saying Hi. I get back to Maine every other year...too long in my opinion. Hope winter relents up there.

Cheers Hank

Hello Steve,
Congrats on the 90. Would love to see it sometime. I have an ancient (comparatively speaking) 110.
It is at the start point of a long slow renovation. Good luck with the stereo conundrum. And enjoy Australia.

Cheers Hank
Old April 5th, 2015, 04:34 AM
x-pat
Hank Petterson
1989 110 Country

Registry
Hey Josh.

I grew up, and out of Brunswick. But I was born in Bangor, even though we were living in Castine. My dad taught Engineering at the Maine Maritime Acad.

There is a great french site for reference on vehicles for sale. It is better than the french E-bay.

Site de petites annonces gratuites d'occasion - leboncoin.fr

What you do is hit the region you want to check. Then when that window opens, click the Toutes catagories. Click Vehicles and type in defender. It's a great site for seeing the market. From there you can choose Diesel, then manual (transmission) and years and price. What I do is next to the toute catagories is the region, click it and select "Tout le France. " Then you can browse the listings.

Another option is the Belgian Ex-military Rovers, I believe they are naturally left hand drive. Where Ex Brisish MOD's are right hand drive.

You can find a good selection of Landy's over here. The google translate works pretty well.

Cheers Hank.

------ Follow up post added April 5th, 2015 10:37 AM ------

I have no connection to this vehicle. But it was the first I saw after a quick listing search.

Land Rover Defender SW 90 2.5 TD HIGHLANDER Voitures Vienne - leboncoin.fr

Pardon my manners Josh, Where in Maine are you from.

Cheers Hank.
Old April 5th, 2015, 09:24 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Enjoy your time in the south-west! I never lived there (born and raised in the opposite side of the hexagon: north-east) but it has a great reputation.

Can we please not share tips and tricks on where to buy a rover in France? I'd like to get a good one before we do...
Market for Rover in France is actually not the best. Not enough trucks create the offer-demand issue where prices go up. Older trucks are typically expensive (compared to what they are) or have been abused. Newer truck market (say 5-year olds) is actually better. Mostly diesels (due to cost of gasoline). Mostly stock (due to French legislation). Used-part market does not seem good at all. We have a ton of d1 and d2s in junkyard here, not so much over there (read: mostly none).
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old April 5th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
If you are interested, I have a 1986 LHD 110 with a 300 TDi and a galvanized original chassis at Foley's in the UK that I'd be willing to sell for a pretty reasonable price. Stuart Foley has done a pretty thorough job on the engine and drivetrain. It's silver with a black roof.

Needs an interior upgrade and a new rear door which Stuart could easily do.

PM me if you are interested.
Old April 5th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
If you are interested, I have a 1986 LHD 110 with a 300 TDi and a galvanized original chassis at Foley's in the UK that I'd be willing to sell for a pretty reasonable price. Stuart Foley has done a pretty thorough job on the engine and drivetrain. It's silver with a black roof.

Needs an interior upgrade and a new rear door which Stuart could easily do.

PM me if you are interested.
Wrong engine and galvanized frame? FYI there are about 10,000 posts about how much US customs would love to seize this truck.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old April 5th, 2015, 01:03 PM
x-pat
Hank Petterson
1989 110 Country

Registry
Sorry MonLand, didn't know the protocols.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand View Post
Enjoy your time in the south-west! I never lived there (born and raised in the opposite side of the hexagon: north-east) but it has a great reputation.

Can we please not share tips and tricks on where to buy a rover in France? I'd like to get a good one before we do...
Market for Rover in France is actually not the best. Not enough trucks create the offer-demand issue where prices go up. Older trucks are typically expensive (compared to what they are) or have been abused. Newer truck market (say 5-year olds) is actually better. Mostly diesels (due to cost of gasoline). Mostly stock (due to French legislation). Used-part market does not seem good at all. We have a ton of d1 and d2s in junkyard here, not so much over there (read: mostly none).
I'm new to this forum MonLand; So I hope you will except my apology.

He was asking how the market was in France. I believe he was just curious. Although I would disagree with you regarding the market in France, especially with the dollar to the euro being almost 1 to 1. My 1989 Country 110 (defender) cost me the equivalent of $2,300. Sure it needs lots of work, and I bought it from a friend, but I plan on owning it for a long time.

Thanks for the welcome, and I look forward to more interaction with this really cool group.

Cheers Hank.

I see you're located in the southeast in the states, I always wanted to visit Georgia, recently featured in The Walking Dead, bet that didn't improve traffic.
Old April 5th, 2015, 06:36 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Ah ah! Sorry looks like my post was lacking smileys! Of course I was (semi-) kidding. While I would love it, I don't think the world will stop spinning waiting for me! congrats on the purchase and good luck with the ownership. This forum will prove valuable to you ( as well as a few others out there).
Definitely try to network with as many local owners as you can. Those will bring you the best deals and get you out of issues in a heartbeat.
Not sure where to buy the parts nowadays. I assume that since English is not an issue for you, buying straight across the channel is the best option. I know my father ( who does not speak a word of English) still buys everything from Land Service.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old April 6th, 2015, 09:17 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Wrong engine and galvanized frame? FYI there are about 10,000 posts about how much US customs would love to seize this truck.
Precisely why it remains in the UK and won't be headed to the US but would be a great truck for France.
Old April 7th, 2015, 01:46 AM
x-pat
Hank Petterson
1989 110 Country

Registry
a second Landy?

Hey Stormer.

It would be idea for France, unfortunately the one I just got is going to be a handful. If I get some windfall (financially) I will definitely p.m. you. Thanks for the note.
Old April 7th, 2015, 10:35 AM
x-pat
Hank Petterson
1989 110 Country

Registry
a quick thought for Stormer

There is a site over here called Angloinfo. It has specific departments, you might want to post an advert for your 110. Getting to where you are is relatively simple and cheap. Might be a good market for your Defender. Good luck. There is a really large Englich community close to where I live. Specifically the Dordogne, and the Lot et Garonne.
Old April 16th, 2015, 09:05 AM
voyagenland
duval
range v8

hi
how are you?
it should be interested to speak together!
mp

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Tags
france