Hello from South Africa - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old December 2nd, 2015, 02:58 PM
Mgriz
Marc Griswold
1994 Defender 110 CSW 200TDI

Hello from South Africa

Hello everyone,

Marc here, I've been a member here for a little while but haven't posted anything. I'm an American living in South Africa (Pretoria area) and recently picked up a 110 Defender that I'm planning on fixing up and bringing back to the states when we return.

Here it is shortly after picking it up. It's a 1993 (supposedly) 110 CSW with the 200tdi.

Other than a long range (100L) fuel tank it's pretty much stock with a little over 230,000km on the clock.

Prior to living in South Africa, my wife and I were in Mozambique for two years where we owned a JK Wrangler and a 94 HZJ77 Land Cruiser. The JK being hers and the HZJ mine... they both were a lot of fun and unfortunately neither one was able to be legally imported into South Africa... So now I get to start all over again with the Defender .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2015, 05:14 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Whats the reason for import block?

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old December 2nd, 2015, 05:57 PM
Tallergypsy
Ray Wood
1984 Australian Built 110 4BD1

Looks Like you are in my hometwn

Hello Mark,
I went to school in Pretoria and served my apprenticeship at the steelworks. I now live in Canada and make Land Rover overdrives for a living. I went home to South Africa in the 90s to get an MBA at Cape Town university. My wife and I were back in Africa with our 110 three years ago and drove up through Mozambique and Malawi to Kenya. Shipped the truck from Mombasa to Southampton, detoured thru Spain to Morocco and then shipped the truck on the RO/RO from Liverpool to Halifax and drove across the states and Canada to Vancouver. Good luck with your new 110 you probably have a lot of exploring to do yet.

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2015, 06:43 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

PM sent, Marc.
Welcome aboard.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old December 2nd, 2015, 09:45 PM
Chowbird
Tim
'84 D90

Welcome Mark. Those are great pix. Great looking Land Cruiser and 110
Old December 2nd, 2015, 10:11 PM
RX6RCROL
Matthew Hedrick
1994 D-90 #646

Registry
Welcome! I have a 110 in Cape Town. Hopefully headed north with it in spring.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 10:18 PM
Scottyoh
Enigma RnR
'87 127"
D-90 Source Vendor

Nice truck, welcome aboard!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 12:09 AM
Mgriz
Marc Griswold
1994 Defender 110 CSW 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Whats the reason for import block?
Both were blocked for different reasons... we tried to push getting the Land Cruiser imported but even as diplomats we were told it wasn't going to be possible.

The 70 Series was imported from Japan into Mozambique. South Africa has import laws in place to protect their market and does not allow second hand Japanese imports since they are plentiful and relatively cheap.

The Wrangler was from the states and was left hand drive. It appears that South Africa used to allow LHD vehicles at least as an exception for diplomats but not any more.

I would have liked to hang on to the 70 but I was happy to get sell the wrangler. Not that it wasn't nice, just nothing special and terrible fuel mileage.

------ Follow up post added December 3rd, 2015 07:13 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallergypsy View Post
Hello Mark,
I went to school in Pretoria and served my apprenticeship at the steelworks. I now live in Canada and make Land Rover overdrives for a living. I went home to South Africa in the 90s to get an MBA at Cape Town university. My wife and I were back in Africa with our 110 three years ago and drove up through Mozambique and Malawi to Kenya. Shipped the truck from Mombasa to Southampton, detoured thru Spain to Morocco and then shipped the truck on the RO/RO from Liverpool to Halifax and drove across the states and Canada to Vancouver. Good luck with your new 110 you probably have a lot of exploring to do yet.

Ray
That's for sure, there is no shortage of places to go just within South Africa. Sounds like you had quite the trip... I've done the drive from Moz to Malawi and hope to get up there and beyond sometime with the 110.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.