Hello from Italy - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old August 21st, 2017, 02:28 PM
13diamonds
denzel
1991 Defender 90

Hello from Italy

Hi yall,

I'm originally from The U.S. currently living in the E.U.

I own a 1992 Defender 90 SW. Hope to learn a lot about them here and maybe do some slight restorations to it when i come back to the states.

It started life as a work car in the Italian forestry division so it is pretty bare bones.

Will get pictures when I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2017, 04:16 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Welcome sir! We love pictures!
Old September 30th, 2017, 12:02 PM
13diamonds
denzel
1991 Defender 90

Took a while but got some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21104215_697933337083865_339231257_o.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	305625   Click image for larger version

Name:	21104252_697933353750530_1871716432_o.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	305633  

Name:	21123232_697933330417199_1520765949_o.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	305641  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 30th, 2017, 01:33 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Nice pictures.
Welcome.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old October 25th, 2017, 10:06 PM
fartsinpublic
Pat P
None

Nice. Might still be some of the unique green paint lurking in the footwells--the Forestale had their own color. Most roofs had a single hole for a yellow siren/beacon on top too.

Those were part of a contract that supplied several Italian agencies with D90s

The Carabinieri also got them, and still use them, as do their navy and army. Just stay away from the army ones. Their gearboxes were rumored to be made with 1 forward gear and 5 reverse as per tradition. LOL

I was over there recently and found out that the "Forestale" agency was disbanded a few years ago and rolled into the Carabinieri. Seems odd that a forestry-management agency would become part of the national police, but more than one person mentioned it when I was looking into some suspicious tree-felling that had to be reported.
Old October 29th, 2017, 03:54 PM
13diamonds
denzel
1991 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by fartsinpublic View Post
Nice. Might still be some of the unique green paint lurking in the footwells--the Forestale had their own color. Most roofs had a single hole for a yellow siren/beacon on top too.

Those were part of a contract that supplied several Italian agencies with D90s

The Carabinieri also got them, and still use them, as do their navy and army. Just stay away from the army ones. Their gearboxes were rumored to be made with 1 forward gear and 5 reverse as per tradition. LOL

I was over there recently and found out that the "Forestale" agency was disbanded a few years ago and rolled into the Carabinieri. Seems odd that a forestry-management agency would become part of the national police, but more than one person mentioned it when I was looking into some suspicious tree-felling that had to be reported.

Wow didn't know that about the Forestale. Thought they just went through a downsizing since most of their buildings looked recently abandoned. Most of the Forestale things were removed from the truck but there are still pieces of green hidden once you start looking. Have started considering properly repainting it back to that colour.

I have a couple pics of it before it was painted that show the original colour.

I've seen a lot of the Italian Air force D90s running around. No Carabineri D90s around here though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	18452026_258864441186062_821896481_o.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	319649   Click image for larger version

Name:	18406263_258864461186060_1391459930_o.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	319657  

Old October 29th, 2017, 05:42 PM
fartsinpublic
Pat P
None

The Carabinieri livery for the 90 was always appealing to me.

White roof, navy blue roof sides and body, with the red stripe/lightning bolt at the tumblehome curve, and white wheels.

They?ve always had freer choice of vehicles I noticed?not necessarily Italian-made?compared to other agencies/police. Aside from the fleet of D90s, I?ve seen them in marked/unmarked BMW 3er sedans and wagons and Subaru Foresters.

I always used to drive extra cautiously when seeing them parked up in an Alfa Romeo as they observed the to-and-fro traffic. An Alfa sedan usually meant a rookie team, or one low ranking officer, and they wanted to prove their worth and their smarts to the boss so they were more thorough asking a lot of questions, and could be a bit of a pain. The senior guys in their nicer/better vehicles like a D90, they didn?t want to deal with the paperwork and if flagged, would just ask a few questions and wave you along. Got flagged down a few times whike driving an Epsom Green D90 on French plates that had a ?convertible? roof that retracted as one would expect a convertible to be. They were more curious in the novel roof, not having seen one prior. Also stood out amongst the area?s more agricultural-leaning LR 90s, so I was worth stopping, I suppose. Gotta meet quota...
Old October 29th, 2017, 05:49 PM
fartsinpublic
Pat P
None

Meant to ask about your truck; it has the big eyebrows? Are you planning on filling them out?I heard they?re getting stricter on wheel/tire mods over there.

And two amber lights in the rear? Shouldn?t the upper one be a red tail/stop? Or did someone move the tail/stop to the rear fog lamp? Do both ambers work as turn signals, one up high for the truckers and one down low for the Lamborghini crowd? LOL

Looks good currently too... I?d hesitate to go back to a federal agency color for fear of being hassled for impersonation. Their bureaucracy lives on, and thrives, believe me.
Old October 31st, 2017, 01:58 PM
13diamonds
denzel
1991 Defender 90

I have heard the same things from locals about and from the importers when bringing American trucks over here, but have seen a quite a bit of lifted jeeps on bigger tires and it doesn't seem like a problem in our area yet. I was planning on filling them out when I bring it back stateside just keeping the wheels stock to ensure it clears customs though they said the eyebrows are okay for now. Was also thinking of putting back original eyebrows.

Haha, no that's just the lighting and faded lenses. it has the stock configuration and square fog/reverse.

I'm probably going to wait til after importation to paint it back to original though i'm still debating just because of how nice the black looks.

And haha yeah I've definitely learned to live and move through all the bureaucracy while living here to get simple things done but this has been a great experience and wish i could stay here longer, its such a nice place with good people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fartsinpublic View Post
Meant to ask about your truck; it has the big eyebrows? Are you planning on filling them out?I heard they?re getting stricter on wheel/tire mods over there.

And two amber lights in the rear? Shouldn?t the upper one be a red tail/stop? Or did someone move the tail/stop to the rear fog lamp? Do both ambers work as turn signals, one up high for the truckers and one down low for the Lamborghini crowd? LOL

Looks good currently too... I?d hesitate to go back to a federal agency color for fear of being hassled for impersonation. Their bureaucracy lives on, and thrives, believe me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.