Hello from Chattanooga, TN - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 12th, 2016, 09:46 PM
xabn82
Billy
None

Hello from Chattanooga, TN

Been lurking for a while and I really like this forum. I've been in love with Defenders since I test drove a new D90 in Raleigh, NC while stationed at Ft. Bragg in 1995. So I've wanted a Defender for a while, but couldn't afford one on a SPC 4 pay. I'm looking to buy a D110 as I need a 4door for hauling kids around. Just looking for honest advice as to buying a ROW as the budget doesn't allow for a NAS 110. I see stuff on CL, just don't want to get taken advantage of on these imported vehicles. I'm sure I'll have tons of questions.
Thanks Billy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2016, 10:39 PM
genie90
Jay Geaney
1994 D-90 ST #282

Billy-

Welcome! The first step is finding a 110 you like and can inspect. There are members who have been here for over 17 years who will help you. Read the stickys and search as much as you can,

Good luck!

Cheers,
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2016, 10:54 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
In addition to what Jay said there also some great vendors on this forum as well who offer solid trucks at affordable prices. With that said, generally, the cheaper a truck the more work/$$$ it needs. Start with the Vehicles for Sale section here, what you seek may very well be here.
Old September 12th, 2016, 10:56 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Don't be in a hurry, learn as much as you can.

Do NOT be afraid of the 2.5NA diesel. Low power? True. Slow? True. Rough and noisy? True. Reliable? Very true. Cheapest way to get into a Defender? True.

Try to physically look at as many as possible. Many of the members here will let you drive their Defender (if you find yourself in SFO, I have 2 you can try.)

Buying one with right hand steering will save $5K to $10K. Try one before you say no.

The big cost problems are rusted chassis (frame) and bulkhead (firewall.) I believe with careful shopping and some luck you can find a 110 station wagon ready to run for under $15k.

Being handy with tools is a BIG help!

Mike & Carrie
Old September 12th, 2016, 11:16 PM
signalMTB
Stephen
'97 NAS D90 / '94 RRC / '05 L322

Registry
Welcome. I'm in Chattanooga as well. If you change your mind and want a D90, I'm
Selling one right now. Otherwise I'd love to see that 110 when you get it. This is a great forum, buy from here if you can from someone with a good reputation. That's 90% of the battle. And I've got a rover guy in Chattanooga that'll work on it.
'95 RRC LWB Aspen Silver Ed. (sold)
'95 RRC LWB 25th anniv ed (RIP)
'95 RRC LWB "Rusty" (sold)

Quote:
All my life I have big love for a defender
Old September 13th, 2016, 07:48 AM
xabn82
Billy
None

Thanks for all the replies. I'm in no big hurry to buy. I've built a Factory Five Cobra so I'm pretty good at bolting things together. SignalMTB I did see that D90 your friend has, would love to look at it, but might be out of my price range. Are you on Signal Mountain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.