Hello from Atlanta - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old July 6th, 2015, 05:46 PM
Jag100
Stan Breon
Non Yet

Hello from Atlanta

New to Defender Forum. My 17 YO daughter thinks she would like a mid-90's Defender 90 to drive. Really. She loves them and wants to be different. I've come here to get advice on purchasing, hopefully from reading old posts (I reviewed the East Coast Rover buying guide pictorial-very informative) and not bugging you guys too much. Went through this process several years ago when purchasing my E-Type. Is the love of British vehicles a contagious illness?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 6th, 2015, 05:48 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
She needs to drive one. That's the only way to know for sure. I'm thinking you'll want A/C in Atlanta. There are plenty of LHD & RHD models in the classifieds. Good luck!

Edit: Yes, owning British vehicles is contagious. And very, very expensive.
Old July 6th, 2015, 05:59 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Welcome! Before the old grumps jump in with the "Defenders aren't for 17 year old teens looking to be different" speech....I hope you are mechanically inclined and have a good independent shop on standby. I see you're not adverse to British Metal, but a Defender takes a lot of love. Im assuming she will have other rigs to drive when her Defender is up on a lift as its not a matter of if but how many times a year.

There are a lot of threads here on pre-purchase advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 6th, 2015, 06:14 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag100 View Post
Is the love of British vehicles a contagious illness?
It certainly can be, and also terminal. I was 19 when I bought my first Land Rover and 40 years later I'm still driving them. And still have my first one.

Welcome to you both (she should be reading about them also and not buy just on looks).

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old July 6th, 2015, 06:36 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
What Paul, Tom and Sam said. Bought my first Series IIa when I was 17 and still drive one and when I didn't have one I wanted one and wish to God I still had my first one. They are not Jeep JK's but a 25 year old quirky British truck that leaks water in the top and oil out the bottom which she will either hate or start a life long love affair.

I am prepping my 14 year old daughter for one by telling her things like "AC is overrated", "life is more enjoyable going slow", "who needs to hear the radio?" things like that.

Cheers and good luck,
Raub
Old July 6th, 2015, 06:39 PM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Raub,
don't forget to get her a bloody knuckles t-shirt! That tells it all...
Old July 6th, 2015, 07:08 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Come to the next Solaros meeting on July 15th at "The Counter" on Mansell Road just east of HWY 9 in Roswell. We are the local Land Rover club that has been active for the last 21 years. We meet around 7:00 PM for hamburgers and social activities followed by a club meeting. There are usually a variety of Land Rovers there to look at and some of us would be happy to let your daughter drive one.

Luke Miles is the current president of the Southern Land Rover Society and he owns "The Shop" in Norcross just off Jimmy Carter Blvd. He is one of the premier Land Rover shops in the South and will be happy to give you advice and check out any vehicle you find to look at.
Old July 6th, 2015, 07:47 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
other than they are more addictive than heroin.
This...^^^
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old July 6th, 2015, 07:49 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
As the knuckleheads above have pointed out, there is no rational reason to own one of these POS trucks, other than they are more addictive than heroin.

Dissuade her if you can.

-Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorUtah View Post
This...^^^
Nothing like cruising around town looking for a Rover fix after payday.
Old July 6th, 2015, 09:07 PM
Jag100
Stan Breon
Non Yet

Thanks a million.....

Many thanks for the warm welcome and suggestions. Yes, yes, and yes. My rationale (if you can call it that) is that it is safe and it will not depreciate. I hear you on the maintenance.

We may take you up on the Roswell meeting-I haven't found too many for sale in Atlanta, so that would be perfect. I have always wanted a D 90, so let's just admit among us guys that I am at least somewhat living vicariously through my daughter. And her Mom is not happy......................
Old July 6th, 2015, 09:23 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
My rationale (if you can call it that) is that it is safe and it will not depreciate.
Sorry, but Defenders are not particularly safe. No airbags, under-engineered roof, soft body. You can help with some of this, but in a high speed rollover, they come apart real quick.

As for depreciation, that is probably better in a LHD rig. But I am not sure if you'll ever get your money back from a new chassis & bulkhead on one that is RHD.
Old July 6th, 2015, 09:24 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Quote:
Many thanks for the warm welcome and suggestions. Yes, yes, and yes. My rationale (if you can call it that) is that it is safe and it will not depreciate. I hear you on the maintenance.

We may take you up on the Roswell meeting-I haven't found too many for sale in Atlanta, so that would be perfect. I have always wanted a D 90, so let's just admit among us guys that I am at least somewhat living vicariously through my daughter. And her Mom is not happy......................
The Discovery is actually safer - airbags, stronger body structure, much less expensive and they are pretty much at the bottom of the depreciation curve if you get the right one.
A well prepared Discovery I is a very capable vehicle and mechanically it is almost identical to the D-90 (which is both good and bad).

If your wife drives a modern Land Rover (LR3, LR4 or Range Rover) you might wind up in the same spot as most of us - multiple Rovers in the driveway - hey - I'm DOWN to only four of them now but I still want a 110.
Old July 6th, 2015, 09:27 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Stan, On that "safe" note, remember that a Defender has no crumple zones, is more prone to tip during emergency maneuvers, has a very flimsy aluminum top (unless you get a Soft Top or a NAS Station Wagon with Roll Cages), no ABS, no traction aids, poor lighting, etc. For a younger driver, this may present issues, especially in Hotlanta traffic! Not saying those things are the end all be all for safety, (operator input being the most important factor) but just a thought.

And no, Im not trying to dissuade. My two boys will daily driver Defenders one day...
Old July 6th, 2015, 09:58 PM
Jag100
Stan Breon
Non Yet

Need to do more research on the safety-this is stuff I have heard second hand from folks I assumed would know...Thanks!
Old July 6th, 2015, 10:03 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
My kids will drive my defender, and I will undoubtedly use them to justify further rover purchases in the future.

As for safety, I plan to 'lead by example' from now until then. Not everything is safe by design - it's a good lesson to be adaptable, take your time and behave on the road like you have to as a motorcyclist.

Also, I plan to have a strict rule for my boys:
You will be tempted to go out and 'wheel' the 110. That's fine. But if you break it, you fix it. And you can find your own ride to school/work until you get it going again.

Old July 6th, 2015, 10:03 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
IMHO...Defender: better for you to own the car and for her to borrow it occasionally.

At 17, she couldn't even begin to afford the maintenance let alone the fuel.
Old July 6th, 2015, 10:38 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Both my kids have had a Disco. Never would do the Defender, really for a safety issue as they don't have airbags. But also because of the creature comforts and maintenance issues. Sons current Disoc '04 is a real gem... No issues whatsoever.
Old July 17th, 2015, 06:35 PM
Jag100
Stan Breon
Non Yet

Second Thoughts

Gentlemen,

Thanks you very much for your honest comments, and with additional research, I have taken them to heart. I think I am moving off of the D 90 to a Disco-largely due to safety issues. Glad to make the right decision, sad I won't have access to one any time soon.

Thanks very much.

Stan
Old July 17th, 2015, 07:50 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I see through your wonderful scheme.

Buy a defender for your daughter, she gets bored and wants a normal car. You get to keep Defender for yourself.

Now why didn't I think of that...
Old July 17th, 2015, 10:06 PM
Jag100
Stan Breon
Non Yet

Yes

certainly some truth to that. I am quite sure my lovely wife sees right through it................

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Tags
atlanta