Hello again from California - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old May 29th, 2016, 12:19 AM
fastinjun
Mitch
None

Hello again from California

Joined a few months ago...inquired about bringing my landy over from Spain...Ive had to give up on that idea...seems the powers that be wont let me bring it in....2000 110 defender.....
Soooo, Im looking to find one here, preferably a diesel. Any suggestions on finding one that isnt outrageously priced??? Looking for a diesel, what do you guys suggest as far as motor. I liked the TD5 motor but many have told me there are better choices as far as that goes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2016, 12:27 AM
javelinadave
-
-

You won't be able to license it in CA if that matters to you.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...now-59447.html
Old May 29th, 2016, 12:32 AM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
I found both of my Defenders on eBay. Decide what you want (configuration and condition) decide your budget and shop, shop, shop.

My understanding is the TD5 isn't really legal yet. Most guys seem happy with either a 200Tdi or 300Tdi. Drive a 2.5NA before you buy one to see if you might like it (most don't.)

Mike
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2016, 12:52 AM
fastinjun
Mitch
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuamPilot View Post
I found both of my Defenders on eBay. Decide what you want (configuration and condition) decide your budget and shop, shop, shop.

My understanding is the TD5 isn't really legal yet. Most guys seem happy with either a 200Tdi or 300Tdi. Drive a 2.5NA before you buy one to see if you might like it (most don't.)

Mike
Its really incredible how much they are here....I think I paid about 8000 dollars for my landy in Spain in decent shape. You mentioned the 2.5 NA motor, What motor does your have in it?
Old May 29th, 2016, 10:03 AM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastinjun View Post
Its really incredible how much they are here....I think I paid about 8000 dollars for my landy in Spain in decent shape. You mentioned the 2.5 NA motor, What motor does your have in it?
Don't be discouraged by unreasonable asking prices (which means most.) You need to find sale prices (not always available.)

My '86 90 soft top has the 2.5NA. It's under powered, noisy, unrefined. I find it a lot of fun and have put over 38000 miles on it in 3 years. I paid $13,500.

My '88 110 station wagon has a 300Tdi from a Disco. A much quieter, more refined engine. It came with the 300Tdi. It's RHD (the 90 is LHD) and I paid $30k two months ago.

Both have solid chassis and bulkheads.

Mike
Old May 29th, 2016, 10:33 PM
fastinjun
Mitch
None

Thank you for the reply.. I'll just have to keep looking... Such a shame I can't bring my Spanish Landy here...
Prices here are crazy.... ridiculous actually.
Old May 31st, 2016, 06:56 AM
Art Vigil
Arthur Vigil
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastinjun View Post
Thank you for the reply.. I'll just have to keep looking... Such a shame I can't bring my Spanish Landy here...
Prices here are crazy.... ridiculous actually.
Terrible shame. Say, you're welcome to bring your Landy to me in the UK. I'll "look after it for you" until it's legal to import to California. It's really no trouble at all.

Regards,
Art
'95 RRC - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'72 Series III 88" NADA Turner 2.25 petrol (Lovely Rita)
'95 RRC Brooklands/TWR Edition 3.9V8
'97 D90SW NAS #2426 - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'95 D90ST NAS#2620 - Original owner

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.