Hello! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old July 18th, 2015, 09:01 PM
Too Tall
Alex
None

Hello!

Hello Gents!
I am a fairly new Land Rover Defender owner in Canada. RHD 1987 Ninety with a 200 TDi. 4 coats of paint. 6 different colours. This thing has been through hell and back, and looks the part. Love it to death.

Looking at purchasing another, but I'm in dire need of some assistance from a UK resident. If anyone is willing to help me please send me an email or PM!

Thank you

Alex

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150523_193830.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	125371
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 8th, 2015, 10:59 AM
Too Tall
Alex
None

Hello Again

Unfortunately I couldn't find any help from anyone in the UK. I'm afraid this Defender 90 is due to be crushed/destroyed. Couldn't Import it due to VIN issues(Issued new VIN by UK DVLA in 2008). Been up for auction 4 times now. No one seems to be able to move this thing. Didn't take a chance myself without a letter from the DVLA explaining why it had a new VIN issued. DVLA wouldn't release information to me as I am not a UK resident.

Who knows? May come up again. The 110 next to it looks nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCDefender.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	126762  
Old August 8th, 2015, 09:25 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Unfortunately I couldn't find any help from anyone in the UK. I'm afraid this Defender 90 is due to be crushed/destroyed. Couldn't Import it due to VIN issues(Issued new VIN by UK DVLA in 2008). Been up for auction 4 times now. No one seems to be able to move this thing. Didn't take a chance myself without a letter from the DVLA explaining why it had a new VIN issued. DVLA wouldn't release information to me as I am not a UK resident. Who knows? May come up again. The 110 next to it looks nice.
What do you need specifically?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2015, 12:11 AM
Too Tall
Alex
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
What do you need specifically?
I needed someone in the UK to email the DVLA a request for information about the vehicle using the VIN. I found it impossible to find information about the vehicle myself since the UK systems use the registration number of the vehicle to track data. The registration number is unknown.

DVLA instructed me to fill out a V888 information request form, but this form also required the registration number, as well as a UK utility bill to prove UK residency. I responded that the vehicle's registration number is unknown, and that I am not a UK resident.

I only needed information as to why the Vehicle was issued a new VIN to get it past Canadian Customs.

They responded that, although I have reasonable cause to access this information, they do not release information outside the UK.

Why would I go through all this trouble? The thing was selling repeatedly for $500. Where else can I get a 1985 Ninety for $500?

Anyways I let the 1985 ninety go, sold my 1987 ninety, and purchased a 1993 Defender 110 a couple days ago. Should expect it near the end of the month.

If the 1985 comes up again it may be importable as "parts only".
Old August 9th, 2015, 06:44 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

The only reason the DVLA would issue a vin is if your vehicle has been built or rebuilt from the parts of multiple other vehicles ie just like a kit car.
Based on your statement I would say there is no way to prove that the 90 is eligible for importing as a vehicle.

Therefore importing for parts only is your only choice.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old August 9th, 2015, 08:17 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
The only reason the DVLA would issue a vin is if your vehicle has been built or rebuilt from the parts of multiple other vehicles ie just like a kit car. Based on your statement I would say there is no way to prove that the 90 is eligible for importing as a vehicle. Therefore importing for parts only is your only choice.
Agreed.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 9th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Too Tall
Alex
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
The only reason the DVLA would issue a vin is if your vehicle has been built or rebuilt from the parts of multiple other vehicles ie just like a kit car.
Based on your statement I would say there is no way to prove that the 90 is eligible for importing as a vehicle.

Therefore importing for parts only is your only choice.

It is also possible that the vehicle was a theft recovery in which case the vehicle would have been importable.

After importing the VIN reissued vehicle there would have been another song and dance involving a vintage car appraiser who would need to certify that it was a genuine vintage Land Rover Ninety.
Old August 9th, 2015, 03:36 PM
Too Tall
Alex
None

Just found the 1985 again. A different auction house is now handling the sale of this vehicle, and requires the vehicle to be exported to a non-contiguous country. Totally out of reach now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.