Hello - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old March 2nd, 2011, 01:13 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Hello

Hi all,
Just registered, thought I'd say hello. I'm a Yank living in the UK, originally from Orygun. I have a 1984 110 van (built in September 1983). I bought it with the specific purpose of being able to bring it back to the US when/if I return. This is my second LR, I had a '92 RRC in the US, that met an untimely end on New Years 2009 Rover Over

Mechanically the truck is well sorted and runs strong. Cosmetically is is a bit challenged. I'm not overly concerned with that, cosmetics don't interfere with function. Someday I'll get around to making it, if not pretty, at least all one color.

It's actually two trucks (and assorted parts from others) built into one, the drivetrain is 300TDi/R380 out of a 73,000 mile 1995 110. The chassis is nasty, I had to replace the rear cross member and the cross member in front of the fuel tank to make is sound enough to pass the MOT. I have a galvanized chassis in my garage, I'm hoping my personal circumstances get sorted and I can get the shell moved over this year, we'll see...

I have a bunch of pics on Picasa 110 build
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2011, 01:27 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Good looking truck. Welcome!
Old March 2nd, 2011, 01:32 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Welcome. Looks like you were holding that steering wheel pretty tighty in the rollover.

I like the one pic of the crossmember at the docks

"High performance lightened rear cross member..."

So true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2011, 01:32 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I like the white lettering on the shift knob.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:21 PM
Gardner
Gardner Congdon
'84 RHD D90 300Tdi

Howdy

I'm not sure which I'm more jealous of- the apparent space you have to work in or access to large parts that don't require transoceanic shipping

-Gardner
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:14 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

You don't get rot everywhere in Seattle.
These pictures always make me leery of UK vehicles no matter how pretty they look when finished.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 03:41 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

England is mad for salting the roads. They do it all winter, regardless of the actual presence of snow or ice. Combine that with the ocean surrounding the country no more than 100 miles from any point, and it's rust heaven.

To be fair, the red 110 spent about 8 years in the Orkney Islands, in the north sea. The owner drove it on the beach, and from the condition of the undercarriage, quite possibly drove it around in the ocean. The blue truck is the original 1983 build, and it's chassis was quite solid, I chopped parts out to fix the red chassis.

In the long view, every Defender should end up on a galvanized chassis, and probably have a galvanized bulkhead installed too. I took the Solihull tour a couple years ago, and it's quite a study in contrasts. The RR and LR4 line (built by BMW and Ford) is fully automated, with robot welding, high strength adhesives used extensively, six-sigma continuous quality improvement process, and the shells get anti-corrosive electrostatic dip paint. The Defender line continues in pretty much the same state as 1983 -- Two guys maneuver a frame onto a mobile jig, and start bolting things on. Axles are bolted on, engine and trans dropped from a hoist, body panels bolted on in sequence as it moves through the stations. You can see the iffy paint jobs on the body panels as they swing around the overhead conveyors. The only benefit the Defender gets from the BMW and Ford investment is the body panels are now stamped on the same ginormous stamping machine used for the RR's, Discos and Jags.

I love the erector set simplicity of the Defender, but it's ridiculous that LR hasn't incorporated galvanized frames, proper anti-corrosion treatment for the steel bits, and adhesives to prevent galvanic corrosion of the shell. It's not like the damn trucks are cheap!

/rant...
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old March 3rd, 2011, 08:16 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Tony, you're preaching to the choir my friend. Rover has always produced the Series/Defender as if it was a chore that had to be done, but wasn't too happy about it. The company has suffered from being bought and sold like some corporate hot potato. Never has there been a strong owner with long term vision.
Quality control is a joke. The British Leyland spectre has haunted the line to this day. When the first Defenders came off the line they were overpriced, underpowered (for the US market anyway) and spartan. A hard sell in the USA where a fully loaded V8 powered Ford 4x4 pickup was about half the price. Who in their right mind would buy one?
The fact that BL never committed to Land Rover left the company in bad shape going into the 90's. They sold off the rotting skeleton to BA who knew nothing about making and selling cars. And so on and so on. Ford, BMW, Tata. Pathetic.
How the Defender survives is a miracle. (CAUTION heresy follows!) there are so many better built and far less expensive 4 wheel drive vehicles available in the world that make the Defender look like some kind of retro oddity.
Will the current owners ever get their heads out of the sand and start making something people actually want to buy? Not holding my breath.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:33 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Will the current owners ever get their heads out of the sand and start making something people actually want to buy? Not holding my breath.
Be careful for what you wish......................
Tata just might take the Defender and turn it into another Suburban Shopping Expedition Vehicle.

The way I see it, despite the bitchin, there is an attraction to the flawed Defender and I think the many forums are proof of that. It's still a vehicle that's basic enough to allow it's owners to work on it, improve it , and modify it. Kinda like a blank canvas. And of course that old British Leyland vodoo is always lurking around less you get complacent.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:43 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
The fact that BL decided not to target the largest automotive market on earth in the 1980s killed Land Rover forever. Imagine if they had put an assembly line in Mississippi in the 1980s, and started selling vehicles at competitive prices, they'd be bigger now than Jeep!
Maybe if they can convince the Chinese to buy Defenders instead of Buicks they might save themselves...

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old March 3rd, 2011, 03:38 PM
Gardner
Gardner Congdon
'84 RHD D90 300Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb View Post
You don't get rot everywhere in Seattle.
These pictures always make me leery of UK vehicles no matter how pretty they look when finished.
They started salting up here last year. We get so little snow that it will be used pretty infrequently, but it'll be there. I moved here from upstate NY 20 years ago and was blown away by all the cars on the road that looked pristine compared to the swiss cheese I was used to seeing back home.

Anti-corrosive coatings have come a long way since then. I just don't see as many cars rusting out as I used to, even in environments that use a lot of salt.
Old March 4th, 2011, 04:28 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Yep, Jordan Creek area, rolled off Archers Road. We had run trails to the top, were coming home on the roads. Two trucks got separated and we couldn't get a radio response so I turned around to backtrack to them. Dark, foggy, snowing, tired, I slipped a wheel into a rut and off I went. Turned out the other guys were fine, just had been outside getting one of the two out of a ditch and didn't hear the radio.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:34 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Tony welcome to the forum. There is just something about a beat up Land Rover, I love it! I also love your stickers:

Offender
The best 4KIN4x4xFAR

I gota get me a set of these for my rebuild.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.