Greetings from Charlotte - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old May 12th, 2016, 11:45 AM
Broady
Status: Offline
Scott
1986 D110 Tithonus
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 11
Greetings from Charlotte

Hey Guys,

Great site here for a newbie to learn more about the ins and outs of ownership and living the dream. The silent, grateful readership of this forum is probably much larger than you know.

Anywho, I am strongly considering getting in the market for a D90 or 110 in the next 6 months or so despite my brain telling me that ownership is not necessarily the wisest of choices based on some pretty compelling arguments laid out in this forum! I'm probably going to choose to acknowledge those arguments and drive on with my pursuit anyway. I have made similar bad but very rewarding decisions in the past, like when I decided my college vehicle should be a '69 Ford Galaxie 500 convertible. Mechanically unsound but a hoot nonetheless. Wrenched a wee bit back then but mostly under the supervision of a friend who actually knew what he was doing. I remain a reasonable DIYer, but I have certainly lost any of those wrenching skills at this point.

This brings me to a request for advice. I am torn between the concept of a RHD diesel 110 project type with some patina (but minimal to no rust) and its associated headaches but lots of potential vs. a well-maintained, more reliable D90 NAS type that would obviously require a much bigger upfront budget. Given my limited wrenching skills and free time to learn those skills, I am leaning more towards the latter despite a long-term pull towards a 110. Vehicle would be a third vehicle for the family and used mostly for fun (MTB trips, camping, surfing, goofing off, etc.) and need to be capable of towing a 2500lb Cricket Sport trailer at near highway speeds. Current tow vehicle is a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit with all the bells and whistles. I'd keep this for long-haul trips with the camper.

Thoughts on which way to go and next steps in helping to decide? Budget-wise, I could do the 110 now. D90 would take about 6-12 months to get cash in order.

A bit more long winded than I had intended so appreciate your patience if you have read this far.

Cheers,
Scott
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old May 12th, 2016, 11:54 AM
TNRoverGuy's Avatar
TNRoverGuy
Status: Offline
Chris H.
'97 NAS D90 ST
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 202
Registry
Scott, welcome to the board!

I'll defer to others who have experience with 110s to give you a less biased assessment. Just wanted to say we're glad you're here and hope you'll keep us updated on whatever you decide!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 12th, 2016, 12:08 PM
rovertrader's Avatar
rovertrader
Status: Offline
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Marshville, NC USA
Posts: 4,627
Welcome Scott! If you are looking to tow the boat to Lake Norman, a 110 3.5 could accomplish that, but to the coast, very long trip! A 90 is not such a good tow vehicle given the short wb. A NAD 110 will get you killed on 77 empty, much less with a boat in tow- think 68hp!!
I am low on Defenders right now, but you are welcome to come drive my 4.6 NAS90 to get a feel of a pumped up 90 ;-)
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old May 12th, 2016, 12:41 PM
Overlander's Avatar
Overlander
Status: Offline
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,531
Registry
welcome. Being new and long since turned your own wrenches, you need to save and get one ready to go. any fixer upper will end up the same or more in cost as a well maintained vehicle ready to be a daily driver, since you will have to invest considerably on issues not disclosed.

If this is your first, get a V8. nobody in Charlotte knows a damn thing about diesel maintenance. trust me on that one. A defender with a V8 is virtually identical to a NAS Disco 1 in powertrain and drivetrain. There's some good shops that can keep it running for you end-to-end with no issue.
__________________
Mark Kellgren
KM4BOR

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old May 12th, 2016, 01:44 PM
Daddymow's Avatar
Daddymow
Status: Offline
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Stuart, FL / Boone, NC
Posts: 3,970
Registry
Welcome aboard if you have a family I would say go with the 110. I had a 90 and then went with a 3 door 110 because once you start bringing kids, kids friends, dogs, coolers, boogie boards, so on and so forth the 110 becomes much more practical and useable. If you get one with a 2.5 Na in it budget in an engine swap because the 2.5 Na is dangerously underpowered for any trip with highway or hills. Like Mark said one with a 3.5 V8 is what I would do. I like LHD because when I drop my daughter off at school she gets out on the sidewalk side and not in traffic also drive through is no issue. Good luck with your search it is half the fun.
__________________
You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter - eBay.uk ad for Freelander.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old May 12th, 2016, 02:06 PM
Broady
Status: Offline
Scott
1986 D110 Tithonus
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
Welcome Scott! If you are looking to tow the boat to Lake Norman, a 110 3.5 could accomplish that, but to the coast, very long trip! A 90 is not such a good tow vehicle given the short wb. A NAD 110 will get you killed on 77 empty, much less with a boat in tow- think 68hp!!
I am low on Defenders right now, but you are welcome to come drive my 4.6 NAS90 to get a feel of a pumped up 90 ;-)
Thanks. I think the vehicle would either stay in CLT or down in Charleston area where I have a fixer upper bungalow in Mt. Pleasant. No garage there yet, so definitely CLT in the near-term. Would not plan to make that commute more than a couple of times and would probably take the long way. No boat, but I would want to use the Cricket trailer, so this looks like it will likely force a V8 engine. Will definitely take you up on your offer to test drive! Thanks again.

------ Follow up post added May 12th, 2016 02:09 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
welcome. Being new and long since turned your own wrenches, you need to save and get one ready to go. any fixer upper will end up the same or more in cost as a well maintained vehicle ready to be a daily driver, since you will have to invest considerably on issues not disclosed.

If this is your first, get a V8. nobody in Charlotte knows a damn thing about diesel maintenance. trust me on that one. A defender with a V8 is virtually identical to a NAS Disco 1 in powertrain and drivetrain. There's some good shops that can keep it running for you end-to-end with no issue.
Good to know re: lack of local diesel mechanics. Looking like I'll be going with a V8 for my first one then.

------ Follow up post added May 12th, 2016 02:13 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Welcome aboard if you have a family I would say go with the 110. I had a 90 and then went with a 3 door 110 because once you start bringing kids, kids friends, dogs, coolers, boogie boards, so on and so forth the 110 becomes much more practical and useable. If you get one with a 2.5 Na in it budget in an engine swap because the 2.5 Na is dangerously underpowered for any trip with highway or hills. Like Mark said one with a 3.5 V8 is what I would do. I like LHD because when I drop my daughter off at school she gets out on the sidewalk side and not in traffic also drive through is no issue. Good luck with your search it is half the fun.
Yup. Two kids and a dog. 110 it is then and looks like this is the call also for short distance towing considerations. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old May 12th, 2016, 06:13 PM
Daddymow's Avatar
Daddymow
Status: Offline
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Stuart, FL / Boone, NC
Posts: 3,970
Registry
Here is mine in beach mode. Plenty of room in back for the kids coolers and beach stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1903.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	149410  
__________________
You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter - eBay.uk ad for Freelander.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old May 12th, 2016, 06:33 PM
Broady
Status: Offline
Scott
1986 D110 Tithonus
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 11
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Here is mine in beach mode. Plenty of room in back for the kids coolers and beach stuff.
Looking good Daddymow. Nice looking truck!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old May 12th, 2016, 10:02 PM
CMSgt Bo's Avatar
CMSgt Bo
Status: Offline
Bo
1985 One Ten
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Banner Elk NC
Posts: 784
With NAS D90 trucks creeping into unobtanium territory you can get a lot more truck for your money with a 25 year-old import. That's what many here did and an ex-military 110 like Raub's (Daddymow) will easily pull a Cricket (they actually weight 1,460 lbs). Here's a nice one that was just listed today (I'm not affiliated with the seller): http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...tml#post738791
__________________
Proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old May 13th, 2016, 07:05 AM
Broady
Status: Offline
Scott
1986 D110 Tithonus
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSgt Bo View Post
With NAS D90 trucks creeping into unobtanium territory you can get a lot more truck for your money with a 25 year-old import. That's what many here did and an ex-military 110 like Raub's (Daddymow) will easily pull a Cricket (they actually weight 1,460 lbs). Here's a nice one that was just listed today (I'm not affiliated with the seller): http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...tml#post738791
CSM Bo, thanks for the info. The Cricket was in fact designed by Garret Finney to be pulled by just about any vehicle. However, that 1460lb number is completely empty. Mine is kitted out for off grid use, so with dual marine batteries, marine refrigerator, toilet, solar panels, kids bunks, food, cooking gear, 4 bikes, bike gear, tongue box full of tools, propane tanks, etc., etc. the weight is much closer to 2500lb. I should have it weighed just for fun. Regardless, I suspect you are right. I think for short trips, any Defender would do fine including a D90 since the tongue weight is only 95 lbs. Tongue weight is prolly a bit more with my tongue box, but I have not measured it. I'll certainly keep other 110's in mine and check out that link. Thanks again.
__________________
Quote: 60% of the time, it works every time.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old May 13th, 2016, 08:36 AM
CMSgt Bo's Avatar
CMSgt Bo
Status: Offline
Bo
1985 One Ten
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Banner Elk NC
Posts: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broady View Post
CSM Bo, thanks for the info. The Cricket was in fact designed by Garret Finney to be pulled by just about any vehicle. However, that 1460lb number is completely empty. Mine is kitted out for off grid use, so with dual marine batteries, marine refrigerator, toilet, solar panels, kids bunks, food, cooking gear, 4 bikes, bike gear, tongue box full of tools, propane tanks, etc., etc. the weight is much closer to 2500lb. I should have it weighed just for fun. Regardless, I suspect you are right. I think for short trips, any Defender would do fine including a D90 since the tongue weight is only 95 lbs. Tongue weight is prolly a bit more with my tongue box, but I have not measured it. I'll certainly keep other 110's in mine and check out that link. Thanks again.
Got it. Mike Shepard is a buddy of mine and the Regional Sales Manager for TAXA (and is opening a shop up here in Boone). They are supposed to announce a new Cricket in the Fall (supposedly more suited for off-roading) so I'm holding out on picking one up until the new version hits the streets.

If you go with a diesel try to get one with a 1.4 transfer case. Mine had a 1.2 until recently and wasn't well suited to towing.
__________________
Proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old May 13th, 2016, 02:31 PM
Broady
Status: Offline
Scott
1986 D110 Tithonus
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSgt Bo View Post
Got it. Mike Shepard is a buddy of mine and the Regional Sales Manager for TAXA (and is opening a shop up here in Boone). They are supposed to announce a new Cricket in the Fall (supposedly more suited for off-roading) so I'm holding out on picking one up until the new version hits the streets.

If you go with a diesel try to get one with a 1.4 transfer case. Mine had a 1.2 until recently and wasn't well suited to towing.
CSM Bo, thanks for the tip. I'll have to keep an eye out for the new TAXA model and a 110 with a 1.4 transfer case. Cheers.
__________________
Quote: 60% of the time, it works every time.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old May 13th, 2016, 02:38 PM
Uncle Douglas's Avatar
Uncle Douglas
Status: Offline
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gods Country- Central Virginia
Posts: 11,833
Registry
2500 lbs, my car trailer weighs that empty.
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

410.693.1391


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Greetings K9Phil Wanted 0 June 5th, 2012 10:58 PM
Greetings from Moshi! Roverlab Misc. Chit-Chat 19 February 13th, 2010 06:05 PM
Seasons Greetings d90-110 Misc. Chit-Chat 2 January 3rd, 2009 11:40 AM
Seasons Greetings! Flagg Misc. Chit-Chat 2 December 22nd, 2006 07:10 AM
Newbie here, greetings to all Neil McCauley Misc. Chit-Chat 15 August 25th, 2006 12:35 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 AM.


Copyright