Got My D-90 (Finally!!) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 6th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Brian Ellis
Sold it!
Smile Got My D-90 (Finally!!)

Hello all!
I'm now officially a Rover driver. My seller got his act together and I picked it up last Thursday. This guy never really looked under the hood, so there are many little gigs to be worked off. But she's mine now. So I'm stoked. I've crawled under it all weekend and was wondering a couple of things:

*The turn signal automatically turns itself off after rolling out from a right hand turn as it should, but stays on after a left hand turn. I have to manually lift the switch arm to shut it off. What's the deal?

*Shifting is smooth in all but the 3rd gear. It grinds a tiny bit now and then. What's the deal with that?

*Left side of the exhaust manifold looks like it's covered in baked-on clay. The left side's manifold is clean. Anybody got tips for chipping/cleaning off the pottery?

I have many other questions because I'm clueless and a brand new (used)D-90 owner. But for today, these are my top 3 questions. Thanks to all!

Brian Ellis
Old June 6th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C
Congrats Brian!!!

I'm not sure about the turn signal issue.

The grinding could be a syncro going bad. Pretty common. Redline MTL should quiet things down or any Synthetic lube.

Power wash the crap out of the baked clay. Steel brush should help

Enjoy your 90. They're fun trucks.

Old June 6th, 2004, 10:23 PM
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC
My turn signal does the same thing--I believe that there is a plastic piece behind the steering wheel that broke or wore out. I have not been motivated to check it out since I am now used to it.

The shifting in 3rd (called by many "snicking") is pretty damn common with the R380--the LT77 does it from 3rd to 4th. Get used to it--it is a bonding experience that we all must go through, like a new girlfriend.

I don't worry about the mud on the pipes, but if you want it cleaned off, then I would suggest wire brushing it off. What a pain that would be, though. When you go through mud, it will stick and then dry pretty rapidly.

Remember, when you find little things (and there will be many), just keep telling yourself it is a bonding experience. Between you and the D90, or the D90 and your wallet, I have not yet figured out.
Old June 6th, 2004, 10:34 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
Go slower into third. 2nd ONE mississippi 3rd --- should be fine.

MTL will help a bit, but mainly it will help it not get worse.

I would not worry about the dirt. Clean out the frame as if there is mud there is mud in the frame.

Old June 7th, 2004, 12:23 AM
defender 130
The baked on clay on the pipes may be a exhaust sealer like you can get at the local auto parts store. It is light in color and hard as nails but can be chipped off. I would just leave it as there could be a leak under there. Wait till it falls off on its own then deal with it. Your a rover owner now and there is a bunch of other stuff to spend money on. Make a list and start prioritizing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

90, d-90