Good price for 1988 90? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old April 20th, 2015, 11:27 AM
afig367
Adam
None

Good price for 1988 90?

Hey Guys,

My friend is thinking about purchasing this, but he's new to Defenders and doesn't know what a 'fair' price is in a dealer transaction.

The specs are all here (Selden Motors - 1988 Land Rover Defender 90 - Conshohocken, Pennsylvania), but a quick summary is:

- 1988 Defender 90
- 107,xxx miles
- Diesel 2.5 I4
- 2" lift on what I think are General Grabbers
- It's had the valve covers replaced

It drove reasonably well. 3rd gear was a little stiff and we could smell fumes in the cabin (is that normal?)

Given that's it's a dealer sale and they have to make the transaction work for them as well, but any thoughts as to what a fair price might be to offer? I believe they picked it up at auction.

Thanks all!

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2015, 04:29 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
IMO a bit over priced. I owned a 2,5 TD and it is not a bullet proof engine. It is over stretch. The rest of the 90 seems fine as land-rover standard. A rough truck. Smelly interior might be a problem. Be sure of the engine. Check the cooling system and it need to be tip top to cope with the turbo charger. It shouldn't blow or smoke while the engine is at running temperature. Take the breather off the "new" valve cover while the engine runs and put your hand over it and feel if there's pressure. Check for fumes and mayonese type oil. Check the air filter. But even if the engine is well, 29,000$ is a lot of money for a straight row 90!
Old April 20th, 2015, 05:57 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNRover View Post
IMO a bit over priced. I owned a 2,5 TD and it is not a bullet proof engine. It is over stretch. The rest of the 90 seems fine as land-rover standard. A rough truck. Smelly interior might be a problem. Be sure of the engine. Check the cooling system and it need to be tip top to cope with the turbo charger. It shouldn't blow or smoke while the engine is at running temperature. Take the breather off the "new" valve cover while the engine runs and put your hand over it and feel if there's pressure. Check for fumes and mayonese type oil. Check the air filter. But even if the engine is well, 29,000$ is a lot of money for a straight row 90!
X2 and I could never join a forum for a friend. Seriously?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2015, 06:01 PM
afig367
Adam
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
X2 and I could never join a forum for a friend. Seriously?
Thank you both!

I know, I know...... I've questioned why I'm doing this as well, but I offered. I doubt he even realizes there's a Land Rover forum, much less one for just the Defender.
Old April 20th, 2015, 06:34 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Isn't it always "for a friend" ends up being for "me"?
Old April 20th, 2015, 08:17 PM
afig367
Adam
None

Ha, well, I personally am on my 5th car in 5 years, and I'd love a Defender, but my commute has gotten long to justify the pain to my wallet and arse.

I've been referred to a good diesel mechanic in the area, so if he's serious about, I'll have him take it there for a pre-purchase inspection.

Maybe I'll get a free dinner out of all this!

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 10:09 AM
Alecto
Alexis Sloan
1988/Defender90

What everyone else said. I just purchased an 1988 d90 showing half the mileage this one is showing. Mine is an Italian import and its clean and straight and it wasn't 28K.
Old April 28th, 2015, 10:21 PM
rover head
keith roberts
1973 series 3

good price for a Defender

this rover is in my opinion overpriced. first off it's just a small step up from a seriesIII so why not buy a series ? the diesel motor means it's going to be a hog and will struggle with hills.it will feel and behave like like a series. i just went through this while on a defender hunt. yes this truck says'defender' but don't be fooled. there is a huge difference between the truck in question a a nas defender. so buy a series III or continue to save and get a top of the line rover - an nas defender.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afig367 View Post
Hey Guys,

My friend is thinking about purchasing this, but he's new to Defenders and doesn't know what a 'fair' price is in a dealer transaction.

The specs are all here (Selden Motors - 1988 Land Rover Defender 90 - Conshohocken, Pennsylvania), but a quick summary is:

- 1988 Defender 90
- 107,xxx miles
- Diesel 2.5 I4
- 2" lift on what I think are General Grabbers
- It's had the valve covers replaced

It drove reasonably well. 3rd gear was a little stiff and we could smell fumes in the cabin (is that normal?)

Given that's it's a dealer sale and they have to make the transaction work for them as well, but any thoughts as to what a fair price might be to offer? I believe they picked it up at auction.

Thanks all!

Adam
Old April 29th, 2015, 10:15 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Adam, I'll go look at it with you if you'd like, I'm not far from Conshi.

--- Ah, just realized its sold.
Old April 29th, 2015, 10:49 AM
afig367
Adam
None

Thanks hillstrubl. Very nice of you to offer that.

I checked with my friend and based on everyone's feedback, he's decided to keep looking at better options. Funny how it was just sold. That happened quickly because it was still there late last week.
Old April 29th, 2015, 12:04 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I'd look at a NAS D90 at that price.
Old April 29th, 2015, 12:05 PM
rover head
keith roberts
1973 series 3

It seems to me that if a good 90 comes on the market and it's priced close to what you have,
(don't even try to dicker with the price cause there's going to be 5 guys behind you )you had better pounce on it. Even if that means buying it sight un seen. I've done this with 3 rovers and the only disappointment came from the car carriers.They are terrible. Realize that no matter what you buy there will be something wrong with it. But so what ? You've got your Rover. Everything else will fall into place.

Good luck with the hunt.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Tags