Good price for 1988 90? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old April 20th, 2015, 11:27 AM
afig367
Status: Offline
Adam
None
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Philadelphia, PA (USA)
Posts: 4
Good price for 1988 90?

Hey Guys,

My friend is thinking about purchasing this, but he's new to Defenders and doesn't know what a 'fair' price is in a dealer transaction.

The specs are all here (Selden Motors - 1988 Land Rover Defender 90 - Conshohocken, Pennsylvania), but a quick summary is:

- 1988 Defender 90
- 107,xxx miles
- Diesel 2.5 I4
- 2" lift on what I think are General Grabbers
- It's had the valve covers replaced

It drove reasonably well. 3rd gear was a little stiff and we could smell fumes in the cabin (is that normal?)

Given that's it's a dealer sale and they have to make the transaction work for them as well, but any thoughts as to what a fair price might be to offer? I believe they picked it up at auction.

Thanks all!

Adam
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old April 20th, 2015, 04:29 PM
CDNRover's Avatar
CDNRover
Status: Offline
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tewkesbury,Canada
Posts: 672
Registry
IMO a bit over priced. I owned a 2,5 TD and it is not a bullet proof engine. It is over stretch. The rest of the 90 seems fine as land-rover standard. A rough truck. Smelly interior might be a problem. Be sure of the engine. Check the cooling system and it need to be tip top to cope with the turbo charger. It shouldn't blow or smoke while the engine is at running temperature. Take the breather off the "new" valve cover while the engine runs and put your hand over it and feel if there's pressure. Check for fumes and mayonese type oil. Check the air filter. But even if the engine is well, 29,000$ is a lot of money for a straight row 90!
__________________
Younger, we pointed the lad I now became.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old April 20th, 2015, 05:57 PM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,557
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNRover View Post
IMO a bit over priced. I owned a 2,5 TD and it is not a bullet proof engine. It is over stretch. The rest of the 90 seems fine as land-rover standard. A rough truck. Smelly interior might be a problem. Be sure of the engine. Check the cooling system and it need to be tip top to cope with the turbo charger. It shouldn't blow or smoke while the engine is at running temperature. Take the breather off the "new" valve cover while the engine runs and put your hand over it and feel if there's pressure. Check for fumes and mayonese type oil. Check the air filter. But even if the engine is well, 29,000$ is a lot of money for a straight row 90!
X2 and I could never join a forum for a friend. Seriously?
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old April 20th, 2015, 06:01 PM
afig367
Status: Offline
Adam
None
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Philadelphia, PA (USA)
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
X2 and I could never join a forum for a friend. Seriously?
Thank you both!

I know, I know...... I've questioned why I'm doing this as well, but I offered. I doubt he even realizes there's a Land Rover forum, much less one for just the Defender.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old April 20th, 2015, 06:34 PM
CDNRover's Avatar
CDNRover
Status: Offline
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tewkesbury,Canada
Posts: 672
Registry
Isn't it always "for a friend" ends up being for "me"?
__________________
Younger, we pointed the lad I now became.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old April 20th, 2015, 08:17 PM
afig367
Status: Offline
Adam
None
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Philadelphia, PA (USA)
Posts: 4
Ha, well, I personally am on my 5th car in 5 years, and I'd love a Defender, but my commute has gotten long to justify the pain to my wallet and arse.

I've been referred to a good diesel mechanic in the area, so if he's serious about, I'll have him take it there for a pre-purchase inspection.

Maybe I'll get a free dinner out of all this!

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old April 22nd, 2015, 10:09 AM
Alecto
Status: Offline
Alexis Sloan
1988/Defender90
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Miami, FL, USA
Posts: 3
What everyone else said. I just purchased an 1988 d90 showing half the mileage this one is showing. Mine is an Italian import and its clean and straight and it wasn't 28K.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old April 28th, 2015, 10:21 PM
rover head
Status: Offline
keith roberts
1973 series 3
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Rockport
Posts: 14
good price for a Defender

this rover is in my opinion overpriced. first off it's just a small step up from a seriesIII so why not buy a series ? the diesel motor means it's going to be a hog and will struggle with hills.it will feel and behave like like a series. i just went through this while on a defender hunt. yes this truck says'defender' but don't be fooled. there is a huge difference between the truck in question a a nas defender. so buy a series III or continue to save and get a top of the line rover - an nas defender.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afig367 View Post
Hey Guys,

My friend is thinking about purchasing this, but he's new to Defenders and doesn't know what a 'fair' price is in a dealer transaction.

The specs are all here (Selden Motors - 1988 Land Rover Defender 90 - Conshohocken, Pennsylvania), but a quick summary is:

- 1988 Defender 90
- 107,xxx miles
- Diesel 2.5 I4
- 2" lift on what I think are General Grabbers
- It's had the valve covers replaced

It drove reasonably well. 3rd gear was a little stiff and we could smell fumes in the cabin (is that normal?)

Given that's it's a dealer sale and they have to make the transaction work for them as well, but any thoughts as to what a fair price might be to offer? I believe they picked it up at auction.

Thanks all!

Adam
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old April 29th, 2015, 10:15 AM
hillstrubl's Avatar
hillstrubl
Status: Offline
Danny
2005 Disco 3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philly, USA
Posts: 1,596
Adam, I'll go look at it with you if you'd like, I'm not far from Conshi.

--- Ah, just realized its sold.
__________________
~2005 Disco 3 "Moneypenny"
~2008 GTI TSI
~If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old April 29th, 2015, 10:49 AM
afig367
Status: Offline
Adam
None
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Philadelphia, PA (USA)
Posts: 4
Thanks hillstrubl. Very nice of you to offer that.

I checked with my friend and based on everyone's feedback, he's decided to keep looking at better options. Funny how it was just sold. That happened quickly because it was still there late last week.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old April 29th, 2015, 12:04 PM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,557
Registry
I'd look at a NAS D90 at that price.
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old April 29th, 2015, 12:05 PM
rover head
Status: Offline
keith roberts
1973 series 3
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Rockport
Posts: 14
It seems to me that if a good 90 comes on the market and it's priced close to what you have,
(don't even try to dicker with the price cause there's going to be 5 guys behind you )you had better pounce on it. Even if that means buying it sight un seen. I've done this with 3 rovers and the only disappointment came from the car carriers.They are terrible. Realize that no matter what you buy there will be something wrong with it. But so what ? You've got your Rover. Everything else will fall into place.

Good luck with the hunt.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Tags
90

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1994 defender for sale. good price matt For Sale - Vehicles 6 September 13th, 2007 06:55 PM
FYI - a good price for H4 light upgrade harness solihul Defender Technical Discussions 1 May 31st, 2005 11:18 PM
Good Rad price? Burke Misc. Chit-Chat 2 November 23rd, 2004 04:02 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 AM.


Copyright