Found a 90! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old January 18th, 2008, 12:47 AM
don's Avatar
don
Status: Offline
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rumson, NJ
Posts: 4,271
Registry
Found a 90!

Pretty stoked - got a 90 last Friday and I figured I would say hello and ask for some help on my plan with it.

I attached some pics - the first one is with my youngest who is 2 and loves it. I can't wait for the summer with the top off and taking trips to the beach and bringing them on some trails.

It came w/ an ARB bumper/Warn winch combo and Rovers North top. The only rust I could find is a small patch of minor surface under the mats on the front floors. I'll clean it at some point and use some POR-15 on it.

Short term:
- I talked to Eric at Trailhead4x4.com and ordered some oil lines. As I do those I will change the oil and filter w/ some Mobil-1 0W-40.
- The 1st to 2nd gear shift is a bit "grindy" unless I take it slow so I also plan to change the fluid w/ RedLine MTL and hopefully that will help. All the other gear changes are fine.
- Try to fix the rattle in the rear tire swing. Does anyone know of a place that sells a bushing kit? I plan on getting the rubber stopper that I've seen help firm things up.

Mid term:
- get a Tuffy center console w/ a decent radio
- replace the exhaust. The "Y" pipe was welded near the cat which is probably fine but more importantly I just want a little more exhaust note and a better throttle response. My Audi S4 had full Milltek and I have to say I miss the sound badly. I'm looking towards NRP/Rovers North "Y" matted up to either NRP or Borla.

Longer term:
- new wheels and tires
- sliders
- 2" lift w/ some springs and shocks

Are there any other things that I should check into?

Also, I'm looking for some places to wheel. Seems like the Pine Barrons is a good place to start here in NJ. Any other places?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	95_D90_right_side_Cooper.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	454.2 KB
ID:	11700   Click image for larger version

Name:	95_D90_right_side.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	545.9 KB
ID:	11701  

Click image for larger version

Name:	95_D90_left_side_back.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	537.6 KB
ID:	11702  
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old January 18th, 2008, 06:12 AM
rovertrader's Avatar
rovertrader
Status: Offline
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Marshville, NC USA
Posts: 4,627
Looks like the little one is hooked as well....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old January 18th, 2008, 06:28 AM
ECR's Avatar
ECR
Status: Offline
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rockland, ME, USA
Posts: 4,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by don
Pretty stoked - got a 90 last Friday and I figured I would say hello and ask for some help on my plan with it.


Short term:
- I talked to Eric at Trailhead4x4.com and ordered some oil lines. As I do those I will change the oil and filter w/ some Mobil-1 0W-40.
- The 1st to 2nd gear shift is a bit "grindy" unless I take it slow so I also plan to change the fluid w/ RedLine MTL and hopefully that will help. All the other gear changes are fine.
- Try to fix the rattle in the rear tire swing. Does anyone know of a place that sells a bushing kit? I plan on getting the rubber stopper that I've seen help firm things up.
Tire carrier is usually just a missing pressure point, or a bad tailgate latch adjustment. All very simple to fix.

A Trailhead oil line kit won't fit that truck as it is not a 94

The shift grind is common, but it won't get better with different fluid. You can limp it for a long time, but it is a sign of damage.

If you want to keep it rust free... keep it off the beach.

Looks like a nie truck, enjoy!
__________________
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old January 18th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Wolf Fabrication's Avatar
Wolf Fabrication
Status: Offline
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oahu, HI
Posts: 7,453
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
A Trailhead oil line kit won't fit that truck as it is not a 94
Trailhead is selling both 18mm and 20mm kits so he should be good as long as he has the original radiator.
__________________
"The most unreliable car in the world is the most reliable car in the world." -Jeremy Clarkson refering to the Range Rover


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old January 18th, 2008, 08:15 AM
ECR's Avatar
ECR
Status: Offline
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rockland, ME, USA
Posts: 4,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Rescue
Trailhead is selling both 18mm and 20mm kits so he should be good as long as he has the original radiator.

yes and no.
Only very early 95s had the right radiator. The majority of 95s have the later style. Out of the 20 or so 95 D90s on the lot today only 1 has the removable fitting radiator. So the "original" radiator in a 95 is most commonly the wrong one.
__________________
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old January 18th, 2008, 08:46 AM
imola's Avatar
imola
Status: Offline
John
97 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 90
Don, that's a great find! I do love white d90s..and green..LOL

anyhow, if you can't find the kit to replace the oil line, I've found a local shop in NJ that does hose replacement. I don't know the cost yet as I just talked to them on the phone, but they came recommended by the local construction equipment store. Let me know if you need more info.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old January 18th, 2008, 09:11 AM
LRNAD90's Avatar
LRNAD90
Status: Offline
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,265
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don
Short term:
- I talked to Eric at Trailhead4x4.com and ordered some oil lines. As I do those I will change the oil and filter w/ some Mobil-1 0W-40.
You might want to consider a little heavier base grade oil, especially since the turck likely has a few miles on it. I don't think you will lose enough mileage to care, and at least a 10 base (10w40 or so) would seem to offer better protection to an engine that isn't exactly 'close tolerance'. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I run 15W50 (RedLine) in my D90. That might be a little heavy if your truck sits outside in the winter and is used as a daily driver though..

Definitely try the MTL in the gearbox, it is a marked improvement over the original spec ATF. And congratulations on the new ride!
__________________
~Scott T.
'95 D-90 ST - AA Yellow
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!"


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old January 18th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Burke's Avatar
Burke
Status: Offline
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Posts: 1,016
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Tire carrier is usually just a missing pressure point, or a bad tailgate latch adjustment. All very simple to fix.

A Trailhead oil line kit won't fit that truck as it is not a 94

The shift grind is common, but it won't get better with different fluid. You can limp it for a long time, but it is a sign of damage.

If you want to keep it rust free... keep it off the beach.

Looks like a nie truck, enjoy!
Mike, can you go over the tail gate adjustment? I have noticed mine has started sagging and does not line up correctly these days... Kind of like me Oh, and congrats Don, welcome!
__________________
"I race cars, play tennis, and fondle women, BUT! I have weekends off, and I am my own boss." - Arthur
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old January 18th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Eric Siepmann
Status: Offline
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Chicago, IL, Cook
Posts: 883
Skip the NRP Y pipe. Overpriced and they rust. Search on Cat's or exhaust. Mike from ECR posted some good info on his site and on the BBS...

EwS
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old January 18th, 2008, 10:21 AM
don's Avatar
don
Status: Offline
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rumson, NJ
Posts: 4,271
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
yes and no.
Only very early 95s had the right radiator. The majority of 95s have the later style. Out of the 20 or so 95 D90s on the lot today only 1 has the removable fitting radiator. So the "original" radiator in a 95 is most commonly the wrong one.
I talked to Eric when I ordered and it looked like I have a removable fitting. If I take a pic and post, would you guys tell me what I have? If it's the late style radiator, what options do I have - Eric was the only supplier I found that is currently selling oil lines. And that's the main issue I've heard with these vehicles. Thanks!

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr
You might want to consider a little heavier base grade oil, especially since the turck likely has a few miles on it. I don't think you will lose enough mileage to care, and at least a 10 base (10w40 or so) would seem to offer better protection to an engine that isn't exactly 'close tolerance'. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I run 15W50 (RedLine) in my D90. That might be a little heavy if your truck sits outside in the winter and is used as a daily driver though..

Definitely try the MTL in the gearbox, it is a marked improvement over the original spec ATF. And congratulations on the new ride!
Thanks for the Oil tip. I thought the Mobil 1 0W-40 meet certain requirements and is Euro spec grade. I ran it in my S4 for that reason. I'll check into the Redline oil and do some more searching before I get a case. Thanks!

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by imola
Don, that's a great find! I do love white d90s..and green..LOL

anyhow, if you can't find the kit to replace the oil line, I've found a local shop in NJ that does hose replacement. I don't know the cost yet as I just talked to them on the phone, but they came recommended by the local construction equipment store. Let me know if you need more info.
Great to see some other people from NJ on the board There are actually at least 5 90's in my immediate area - one in each color plus a couple extra's I'm sure so it might even be more. Not sure if any of them are on d90.com tho.

If the lines from Eric don't work I'll definitely get in touch with you about that local shop. Seems like a fix that is needed so I want to get it taken care of for piece of mind.

And please let me know if there are any GTG in the NJ area. Thanks!

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Siepmann
Skip the NRP Y pipe. Overpriced and they rust. Search on Cat's or exhaust. Mike from ECR posted some good info on his site and on the BBS...

EwS
Thanks for the tip - will do a search on cat's. Exhaust I was maybe even thinking using stock tubes but a Flowmaster or Magnaflow muffler. Too bad Milltek didn't make anything for the d90's - the ones I used on my S4 are beautiul - no rust and they sounded awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old January 18th, 2008, 10:35 AM
ECR's Avatar
ECR
Status: Offline
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rockland, ME, USA
Posts: 4,614
[QUOTE=don]I talked to Eric when I ordered and it looked like I have a removable fitting. If I take a pic and post, would you guys tell me what I have? If it's the late style radiator, what options do I have - Eric was the only supplier I found that is currently selling oil lines. And that's the main issue I've heard with these vehicles. Thanks![QUOTE=don]

You can see images on our site so you can tell what radiator you have. Go to the Defender section.
We have the fittings for our kits and the later rads. as well as kits.

As long as you replace them with something, or remove them you'll be OK.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke
Mike, can you go over the tail gate adjustment? I have noticed mine has started sagging and does not line up correctly these days... Kind of like me Oh, and congrats Don, welcome!
I'll try to do some more detail on it next time I adjust one and post the the ECR site.

Follow-up Post:

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/110oillines.html
__________________
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old January 18th, 2008, 10:40 AM
LRNAD90's Avatar
LRNAD90
Status: Offline
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,265
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don
I talked to Eric when I ordered and it looked like I have a removable fitting. If I take a pic and post, would you guys tell me what I have? If it's the late style radiator, what options do I have - Eric was the only supplier I found that is currently selling oil lines. And that's the main issue I've heard with these vehicles. Thanks!
Hey Don,

ECR has a nicely detailed write up, including photos already up on their site. Here is the Link. Scroll down to the bottom and there is a detailed photo showing the difference between the removable and non-removable fittings. For what it is worth, my '95 D-90 has the removable fittings.
__________________
~Scott T.
'95 D-90 ST - AA Yellow
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!"


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old January 18th, 2008, 11:29 AM
rmuller
Status: Offline
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Caldwell, NJ
Posts: 1,056
Hey Don... nice truck! Yeah, we wheel the pineys occasionally, head out to PA, and basically head wherever else there is wheelin'... We actually wrench down in Union Beach quite often... you should come swing by sometime.
__________________
Ryan
-------------
Current:
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7


Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old January 18th, 2008, 01:48 PM
rover4x4's Avatar
rover4x4
Status: Offline
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Old North State
Posts: 7,523
Registry
MTL will be a huge improvement, while you are under there you might as well drain and refill the transfer case and diffs.
__________________
Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old January 18th, 2008, 02:07 PM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
MTL will help but not completely fix the worn second synchro.

0w40 is complete perfect for a rover v8 of any number of miles. If the motor has issues (ie leaks, rattling lifters on start up -- then the motor has issues and the oil is only showing them to you).

As far as cats, Mike at LR West Chester should be able to get you a good price on a new Y-pipe. He had some available last time I checked in. Mention me and D-90.com and he will set you up. I assume he can get you the borla as well, but mine came on my truck so I don't know that for a fact.
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old January 18th, 2008, 04:25 PM
imola's Avatar
imola
Status: Offline
John
97 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuller
Hey Don... nice truck! Yeah, we wheel the pineys occasionally, head out to PA, and basically head wherever else there is wheelin'... We actually wrench down in Union Beach quite often... you should come swing by sometime.
Ryan, please let me know if you guys have any gtg next time. it gets boring wreching my truck by myself. LOL
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old January 18th, 2008, 04:29 PM
rmuller
Status: Offline
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Caldwell, NJ
Posts: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by imola
Ryan, please let me know if you guys have any gtg next time. it gets boring wreching my truck by myself. LOL
gtg? not sure what that means.. get together?

We'll probably be wrenching tomorrow or next weekend.. need to get some stuff done before winter romp .... a group is going to Rausch Creek on Monday wheelin' as well, I can't make it as my company didn't give me the day off... but I think it's gonna be an 'easy' day where most people take their 'alternative' rovers..
__________________
Ryan
-------------
Current:
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7


Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old January 18th, 2008, 09:08 PM
don's Avatar
don
Status: Offline
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rumson, NJ
Posts: 4,271
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuller
gtg? not sure what that means.. get together?

We'll probably be wrenching tomorrow or next weekend.. need to get some stuff done before winter romp .... a group is going to Rausch Creek on Monday wheelin' as well, I can't make it as my company didn't give me the day off... but I think it's gonna be an 'easy' day where most people take their 'alternative' rovers..
yup. GTG = get together. Bummer, this weekend I'm here up in Stowe, VT getting some runs on snow w/ the family.

The Winter Romp looks like a great event but we'll be in CO that weekend. Winter months are a bit hard w/ snowboard/skiing but I'll definitely look to hook up with you guys.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
I'll try to do some more detail on it next time I adjust one and post the the ECR site.

Follow-up Post:

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/110oillines.html
Mike and Scott - thanks for the link. I'm not near my 90 right now but when I looked at it when ordering from Eric, I really think I have the radiator with the removable fittings and it looks like that from the pics on the ECR site.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old January 18th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Andrew Vick
Status: Offline
Andrew Vick
95 D90
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Basalt, USA
Posts: 437
Where in CO? I'm cheap, available, and you know, cheap...............
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old January 19th, 2008, 04:01 PM
motap
Status: Offline
neal
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 147
Very nice Don! It looks like it was an NC truck at some point, I see the inspection sticker.

Do you still have the S4? Obviously they are very different vehicles, but how are you finding the fun factor of the D90? Are you daily driving it?

-Neal
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Tags
90

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
90 & 110 Parts Sale Extravaganza Wolf Fabrication For Sale - Parts 57 October 16th, 2012 09:35 AM
Electrical Issues & the best repair manuals for a 1995 D90 agavelvr Defender Technical Discussions 18 August 23rd, 2011 12:54 PM
Best way across the US Mike Hippert Defender Technical Discussions 173 April 29th, 2010 04:56 PM
Found the problem! TwisteD90 Defender Technical Discussions 17 March 2nd, 2004 02:20 PM
rust on body found - Advise on removal paulb Defender Technical Discussions 1 November 27th, 2003 09:39 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 PM.


Copyright