Found a 90! - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old January 19th, 2008, 05:34 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Vick
Where in CO? I'm cheap, available, and you know, cheap...............
Going to Telluride - my bro in law got a house for the week there and we're joining his family. And our wifes got us a day in the heli so I'm really looking forward to going out there. I heard the on-mountain stuff is burly so I can only imagine what the heli terrain will be. I need to get some more days on the board, bike and ice skates to get my butt in shape for the trip!

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by motap
Very nice Don! It looks like it was an NC truck at some point, I see the inspection sticker.

Do you still have the S4? Obviously they are very different vehicles, but how are you finding the fun factor of the D90? Are you daily driving it?

-Neal
Hey Neal-

Yup, I think it spent most of it's life in NC and the underbody shows. Frame was really clean when I looked under it - the dealer has a garage too - and put it up on it so I could get a good look. Even the bolts look clean save for a bit of surface rust.

Traded the S4 - and I do miss it already. Very different vehicles but the fun factor is both high on each of them. I have to say I'm surprised how well the D90 drives given it's 90" wheelbase, height and weight.

I think once I get the exhaust done it the 90 I'll be even more happy - I'm not expecting a AWE or Milltek match w/ that 4.2 but I think the 3.9 will give some note that I'll be happy with. Overall I think this rig will suit my needs nicely. It will be great for carting the kids around, and my gear for biking and the summer with the top off. And if I need a sport sedan I've had a place in my heart for a E36 M3 for years now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2008, 05:38 PM
motap
neal

Thanks, I'm going to try and drive one again soon to see how it is.

I know they are totally different cars, but I've wanted some type of defender, 90 or 110, for a long time now.

My friends don't understand, haha.
Old January 20th, 2008, 11:03 AM
imola
John
97 D90 SW

Quote:

I know they are totally different cars, but I've wanted some type of defender, 90 or 110, for a long time now.

HAHAH..went thru the same thing among friends when I picked up my d90..

they were all like...WHY?? lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2008, 11:56 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:

ive got one for sale in NC.
Old January 20th, 2008, 04:47 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by imola
HAHAH..went thru the same thing among friends when I picked up my d90..

they were all like...WHY?? lol
Imola - I'm guessing you were another S4 owner with that screen name?

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by draaronr
ive got one for sale in NC.
Neal, if you like red this is a very nice looking truck. The color was the only thing holding me back as all the mods are something I'll want anyways. Read the specs and check out the pics of it.
Old January 20th, 2008, 06:44 PM
imola
John
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by don
Imola - I'm guessing you were another S4 owner with that screen name?
actually..it was Imola red, not Imola yellow

it was a e46 m3.
Old January 21st, 2008, 06:16 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Welded cats on the Y-pipe are actually "normal", so I wouldn't replace the Y-pipe unless you know something is wrong with it.

Welcome to the family,
charles
Old January 21st, 2008, 11:33 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Welded cats on the Y-pipe are actually "normal", so I wouldn't replace the Y-pipe unless you know something is wrong with it.

Welcome to the family,
charles
The dealer/mechanic (he owns a garage too) said that the stock Y-pipes crack a lot and was the reason for the reweld. It looked like the did a good job on the welding and I can't detect an exhaust leak but I was a little skeptical about his comment. Do they really crack a lot?

My main reason for swapping the Y-pipe was to get more sound, some slight performance and hopefully better throttle response. It sounds like NRP's Y-pipe isn't much better than stock and I've been searching the archives for other options like ECR ROX's 304 SS setup.

I appreciate the warm welcomes from everyone! I drove the 90 to play some ice hockey tonight - it was pretty cold out - sub 20 degrees. I felt like the ride compares similiarly to the chair I took on the Quad at Stowe this weekend - a little bit of suffering for a lot a bit of fun.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:10 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I don't believe they crack a lot, but even if they did, as long as yours is ok, there is no need to replace it. But don't let me stop you

You can get a different sound by replacing the muffler and tailpipe (leaving the Y-pipe).

hth
charles
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:29 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Thanks Charles - I might just keep the Y pipe as is for now and replace the muffler and tailpipe and use that Y pipe money for other upgrades I need.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Tags